Ticketmaster

With so many artists against scalpers and hating that scalpers can make more money off their tickets than the artists make I do not know why we have not seen a true technology fix for this.

Basically an EBay like auction site should create a platform that can list every single ticket at once and put them up for auction by class. Buyers should be able to put in a bid and maximum bid per class for tickets and it should be adjusted automatically. Leave the auction open for 2 weeks or so and then sell all tickets to the highest bids.

This method would pretty much destroy scalping as buyers would already put in the max they are willing to pay for those tickets and therefore the Scalper would not have anyone to sell those tickets too.

Sure a tiny 'last minute at any price' audience might buy some tickets but it would be a small number compared to now.

And the benefit then is that the artist is getting the max per ticket instead of the scalper getting the max.

My buddy is pretty good at haggling with re-sellers at events. He waits until the event has started, and then they'll have a Mexican stand-off. More or less the scalper will give in and just sell the ticket for a much lower price than he wanted.
ya it all depends on how popular the event is and if the scalpers are selling out or not.

For most sporting events if you are willing to miss most of the first quarter and find a scalper still with tickets you can name your price.

I hear this all the time but have yet to ever actually see it happen. at least not for mma events and concerts.

Really? I got into Jones/DC 2 for mid level seats that are usually 500.00 for about 325.00. I also have done that at a sold out streetlight manifesto show and Oz Fest (like 25.00 for floor seats, but to be fair that wasn't sold out).

Usually if the show doesn't sell out, you can find tickets ULTRA cheap since resellers buy expecting it to sell out. So even local shows that you dont want to pay the 30.00 to get in wait until day off, buy off stubhub for like 10.00, just did that at a distillers concert. I personally had to sell my smashing pumpkins tickets at a loss of about 60% since even though it was sold out, the resale market overplayed their hand and bought way to many tickets and the day of there was about 100-150 seats up for grabs.

EDIT: This was all on stubhub

Really? I got into Jones/DC 2 for mid level seats that are usually 500.00 for about 325.00. I also have done that at a sold out streetlight manifesto show and Oz Fest (like 25.00 for floor seats, but to be fair that wasn't sold out).

Usually if the show doesn't sell out, you can find tickets ULTRA cheap since resellers buy expecting it to sell out. So even local shows that you dont want to pay the 30.00 to get in wait until day off, buy off stubhub for like 10.00, just did that at a distillers concert. I personally had to sell my smashing pumpkins tickets at a loss of about 60% since even though it was sold out, the resale market overplayed their hand and bought way to many tickets and the day of there was about 100-150 seats up for grabs.

EDIT: This was all on stubhub
<mma4>
I will check this out this weekend for football tickets and see if it works.

<mma4>
I will check this out this weekend for football tickets and see if it works.

If that shit is sold out sold out, might be a bitch as the seats might be turrible, but if its not (which it probably will not be) you will come up. You can also check out cheaptickets and tickpick for cheaper sporting ones, stubhub is usually on one extreme or the other

Everytime I have used Ticketmaster I walk away pissed on the mark up, fees, etc.

Everytime I have used Ticketmaster I walk away pissed on the mark up, fees, etc.
Yeah --- I got some tickets off of TM this past summer to ufc fight night calgary and those damn extra charges. Some one said it earlier but

Convenience and processing fees (okay maybe processing fees can be explained). But how the fuck is me giving them money a convenience?

With so many artists against scalpers and hating that scalpers can make more money off their tickets than the artists make I do not know why we have not seen a true technology fix for this.

Basically an EBay like auction site should create a platform that can list every single ticket at once and put them up for auction by class. Buyers should be able to put in a bid and maximum bid per class for tickets and it should be adjusted automatically. Leave the auction open for 2 weeks or so and then sell all tickets to the highest bids.

This method would pretty much destroy scalping as buyers would already put in the max they are willing to pay for those tickets and therefore the Scalper would not have anyone to sell those tickets too.

Sure a tiny 'last minute at any price' audience might buy some tickets but it would be a small number compared to now.

And the benefit then is that the artist is getting the max per ticket instead of the scalper getting the max.

It seems that I've heard of something like that where you buy the tickets but can't print them until the day of the event.

It seems that I've heard of something like that where you buy the tickets but can't print them until the day of the event.
no. i've been to concerts that do that which just makes it more difficult for Scalpers. But the scalpers are still reaping the higher ticket prices. What I am talking about is very different.

If every tickets is listed in an open and view-able auction and every one has a few weeks window to bid then scalpers will not be able to participate in this market without a ton of risk. If I know what the maximum is I am willing to pay for a ticket and the scalper out bids me to get that ticket then I won't buy it from him at a mark up as I already went to my maximum. This would cut scalpers market down considerably to the last minute type buyers who don't really care about price but for the bulk of the people if they determined it was not worth more than $50, and the scalper bought it for $55 and now is trying to mark it up to $70 the guy who would not go higher than $50 is not going to suddenly pay $70 in most instances.

Ticketmaster, and really buying most event tickets nowaways is the devil.

I try to buy tickets to shows in person as often as possible. Most ticket sites absolutely butt fuck you with "fees".

The only real way to stop resale would be to have photo or fingerprint ID on tickets.

It's really stupid that these secondary sites have tickets on sale even before the tickets go on sale to the general public.

Just use StubHub.

You're welcome.
stubhub also has scalpers they just don't inflate the prices by that much money they usually only rip you off with 10-20 bucks over regular prices.

The only real way to stop resale would be to have photo or fingerprint ID on tickets.
I agree most of the tickets going mobile was supposed to be to stop the old fraud that happened with printed out tickets on computer.

My buddy is pretty good at haggling with re-sellers at events. He waits until the event has started, and then they'll have a Mexican stand-off. More or less the scalper will give in and just sell the ticket for a much lower price than he wanted.
This works with most sporting events in the USA (exception being super exclusive events like the masters golf tournament or NFL superbowl).

Always wait for a few hours before the events and then hop online. There's almost always more scalper tickets then demand. For the last UFC PPV I got tickets for cheaper than the price of the PPV itself

Back