Tile exercise for Boxing:

There should only be tension in the knee if you CAN'T do a squat and move your waist at the same time. If the knee does not move past the foot, no tension. The reason to NOT move the knee at first is to maximize the need for the HIPS to move. I explained that in the video itself, that most people if they're allowed to move their knees in the beginning they ONLY move their knees to make the motion instead of folding the hips. The hip must do the work, as it is a rotational joint. Knee is a hinge-joint, so it shouldn't have any rotation on it. Once the hips are more mobile, THEN you should bring the rear knee with the rear shoulder. This will be like touching the front of your rear knee to the back of your lead one.

I've rarely had students complain of knee pain, it only happens if they're stressing the knee by putting their weight so far forward that the knee pulls away from the foot.

9_YCF-Brush-Left-Knee-web.jpg

RJJ_5.png

Hello Sir,im from a Wrestling background and just now joined a boxing class. My question is what stance i have to use. Im left handed but i cant throw things(Like a ball) With left at all.only with my right Hand.i cant catch anything With my left only With my right.i feel more power with my right . basically the only thing i do With left is write. Now should i just go orthodox?somehow orthodox feels a little bit weird tho

Last edited:
I can't say what you should do other than dexterity exercises with your left.

Been a long time since this thread's had a post, but I recently saw a video that made me think of this.

Chatchai is a real one, and I saw what he's doing here and it really reminded me of the tile drill. Obviously it's different in the particulars, but in terms of the weight transfer, it seems pretty close.

Do you have any comments @Sinister (if you're not too busy)? I do like that how Chatchai is teaching it here leads very easily into pendulum step.

Been a long time since this thread's had a post, but I recently saw a video that made me think of this.

Chatchai is a real one, and I saw what he's doing here and it really reminded me of the tile drill. Obviously it's different in the particulars, but in terms of the weight transfer, it seems pretty close.

Do you have any comments @Sinister (if you're not too busy)? I do like that how Chatchai is teaching it here leads very easily into pendulum step.

Well, the Thais hired Cuban Coaches for their National boxing team. So it's no surprise to see them doing some Soviet style steps. This just makes me wish geopolitics wasnt so absurd. We all have so much to learn from each other that could make our Sports so much better.

I never used much pendulum stuff in the beginning. I do now.

Last edited:
Back