News Tim Means vs. Alex Morono set for UFC Fight Night on May 13

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tim is one of these guys I felt always had potential to be a contender and just never put it together.

Big fan of both these guys. I love Tim's fighting style but I also love Alex because he is a commentator for Fury FC and is a big part of Texas MMA scene.

Hate to see either guy lose but they are guaranteed to put on a good fight

great matchup. alex was on his way to a big win short notice win over ponzinibbio before he slowed down and got caught in the 3rd. tim means is a dog and brings it, but with a full training camp, i see morono taking a UD.

Awesome figth, none have THAT K.O power, but both are extremely technical.
I think means have a better IQ, Cardio, and graplling. That's why I think he have the W in that.
But morono inst an negative IQ guy, have more volume, a better kicking game, and probably is slightly stronger, so I can see him winning that too.
Nice figth to watch.

Morono has that unassuming style that looks unathletic but leads to wins. And he has heavy hands, he hurt Ponzinibbio multiple times before his knockout loss and jabbed Semelsberger's eye to pieces.

I think Morono has the ability to fight smart and hurt Tim Means badly.

Morono on tour to beat up all the old dudes in the division, similar to Bryan Barbarena.

Alex Morono is a guy that continuously surprises me. I've never thought much of him and his style after seeing Khaos Williams make short work of him and Showtime tune him up in his last UFC bout. He's well-rounded, has a good work rate, plus the keen fight IQ and game-planning that you would expect from a veteran fighter and coach. He's fairly solid in every area... and equally unexceptional in all those same areas. Nothing jumps off the page about him. It doesn't help that his striking is so herky-jerky, awkward, unorthodox, and ugly to watch... but he absolutely makes it work.

At the end of the day, the guy is 11-5 (1) in the UFC and was on a solid four-fight win streak until recently. I thought Semelsberger was going to clean his clock and Morono made him look silly for the better part of three rounds. Then he fought Ponz on short-notice and was doing the same exact thing for like 95% of that bout until Santiago managed to find the late third round KO in a fight he was soundly losing.

Tim Means is a vastly less dangerous opponent than Ponz or Semelsberger. He's a scrappy, crafty veteran with solid boxing fundamentals, a nasty clinch game, who's a passable wrestler. Like Morono, he puts out a lot of volume on the feet (though neither guy is a massive finishing threat at this point). Unless Alex's chin is cracked following the Ponz KO, I don't think Tim really has the power to throw Alex off his game nor the athleticism/dynamism on the feet that someone like Showtime had.

At that point it becomes a question of who has more tread on the tires and gas in the proverbial tank and to my eyes the answer is clearly Morono. He's seven years younger and has generally looked better and more consistent lately. Means is on the way out IMO; I feel like him schooling Perry was sort of his last hurrah. Even the Dalby fight which he won right after wasn't a particularly compelling performance and had its scares in Round 3. Tim is currently on a two-fight skid.

I'll take Morono by Decision with a chance of TKO sprinkled in there if Alex really manages to wear him down and crack him with one of those goofy looping shots.

Last edited:
Morono and Means remind me of the same style.
Both guys have such advanced striking and layers to their striking that weirdly doesn't get the hype or credit it deserves, they absolutely put on clinics on less sound strikers. Both guys are constantly counted out despite doing well against the elite and winning tough fights.

Means has a weird habit of falling apart though and he's getting older. Prime for prime I'd have this fight almost dead even with Morono's cardio and power making the slight difference but now days I expect Morono to be in control. He just hits too hard, is too consistent and he doesn't make the mistakes Means made against Alex Griffen...... Hoping Means pulls out the slaps though just because it's the funniest thing to me.

Not fussed really, with this one. Moreno by decision

A good bounce-back for Morono. I think they're giving him a bit of a softball for being such a gamer.

He was beating Ponz handily on short notice before getting caught, and would be looking at ranked WWs if that had panned out for him.

He's not really a gifted athlete or virtuoso of any art, but he works hard and prepares thoughtfully, and I'm always curious to see how far guys like that can go.

Back