Social Time to cross another CT off your list: What Medical Journals Don’t Reveal - Top Doctors’ Ties...

abiG

The Last Iconoclast
Banned
Reaction score
directly to the pharmaceutical industry!

I know this isn't a real shocker for anyone who has been paying attention, but maybe... just maybe, it's time to start rethinking all the chemicals that from birth to grave, people are expected to consume.

The dean of Yale’s medical school, the incoming president of a prominent cancer group and the head of a Texas cancer center are among leading medical figures who have not accurately disclosed their relationships with drug companies.

This story was co-published with The New York Times.

One is dean of Yale’s medical school. Another is the director of a cancer center in Texas. A third is the next president of the most prominent society of cancer doctors.

These leading medical figures are among dozens of doctors who have failed in recent years to report their financial relationships with pharmaceutical and health care companies when their studies are published in medical journals, according to a review by ProPublica and The New York Times and data from other recent research.

Dr. Howard A. “Skip” Burris III, the president-elect of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, for instance, declared that he had no conflicts of interest in more than 50 journal articles in recent years, including in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine.

However, drug companies have paid his employer nearly $114,000 for consulting and speaking, and nearly $8 million for his research during the period for which disclosure was required. His omissions extended to the Journal of Clinical Oncology, which is published by the group he will lead....

https://www.propublica.org/article/...stry-ties-disclosures-medical-journal-studies

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/08/health/medical-journals-conflicts-of-interest.html

If a doctor tells you to take this or inject this into your kid, do your research before you do that.

If a doctor tells you to take this or inject this into your kid, do your research before you do that.

Anti Vaxxer! We've got an anti vaxxer here!

That's sarcasm, I completely agree with you.

Gotta love when medical professionals are crooked as shit
I think the doctors are mostly trying to help their patients. Mostly good people trying to help their community. It's the universities and medical groups that hire doctors that are corrupt. And it seems like they are pressured into vaccinating every child.

Last edited:
Anti Vaxxer! We've got an anti vaxxer here!

That's sarcasm, I completely agree with you.
Especially do your research on vaccines. There is so much junk in those shots.

Somebody's got to fund those research...

Indebted to who funds their research; not surprised they chose job security. CT a little bit of a reach.

directly to the pharmaceutical industry!

I know this isn't a real shocker for anyone who has been paying attention, but maybe... just maybe, it's time to start rethinking all the chemicals that from birth to grave, people are expected to consume.

The dean of Yale’s medical school, the incoming president of a prominent cancer group and the head of a Texas cancer center are among leading medical figures who have not accurately disclosed their relationships with drug companies.

This story was co-published with The New York Times.

One is dean of Yale’s medical school. Another is the director of a cancer center in Texas. A third is the next president of the most prominent society of cancer doctors.

These leading medical figures are among dozens of doctors who have failed in recent years to report their financial relationships with pharmaceutical and health care companies when their studies are published in medical journals, according to a review by ProPublica and The New York Times and data from other recent research.

Dr. Howard A. “Skip” Burris III, the president-elect of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, for instance, declared that he had no conflicts of interest in more than 50 journal articles in recent years, including in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine.

However, drug companies have paid his employer nearly $114,000 for consulting and speaking, and nearly $8 million for his research during the period for which disclosure was required. His omissions extended to the Journal of Clinical Oncology, which is published by the group he will lead....

https://www.propublica.org/article/...stry-ties-disclosures-medical-journal-studies

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/08/health/medical-journals-conflicts-of-interest.html
This isn't even remotely a "CT". This has been one of the central and most loudly voiced criticisms of what the medical industry has become by the mainstream medical community for over a decade. The AMA discusses it as an ethical issue at their national councils.

This isn't even remotely a "CT". This has been one of the central and most loudly voiced criticisms of what the medical industry has become by the mainstream medical community for over a decade. The AMA discusses it as an ethical issue at their national councils.
Link?

And I've actually been told that the idea that the doctors and the journals are funded by the drug pushers was a CT.

I don't know about the US, but the actions of pharmaceutical companies and the conflict of interests have been an explicit topic here since at least the '90s. More often in the interaction of pharmaceutical reps and GPs than in research, but the same concerns. In response the Australian Medical Association made a formal statement about their expectations in 2002 and have updated it regularly since.
A friend of mine worked as a pharmaceutical rep out of University, but ended up quitting because it was less like education and more like pushy sales.
They still do the promotional gifts, paid lunch meetings and all expenses paid "conferences" for doctors who have achieved various goals, held in luxury resorts around the world.

Edit: Looks like much the same the concerns have been paralleled in the US over the same period.
In terms of research I imagine the relatively recent (2004) focus on Public Private Partnerships has increased the awareness.

I wonder how much influence drug companies have in steering medical school education into how patients should be treated.

There is a certainly an interest for them to train doctors into going straight to prescription drugs.

It's a CT if you ignore the huge and open conversation about it being a problem.

It's a CT if you ignore the huge and open conversation about it being a problem.

No kidding. It's part of why Wakefield was struck off the register for his anti-vax nonsense.

I wonder how much influence drug companies have in steering medical school education into how patients should be treated.

There is a certainly an interest for them to train doctors into going straight to prescription drugs.
Probably a lot

And politicians in the US take money from the drug industry and coincidentally say we can't have a national healthcare system (but they're for "affordable healthcare" and "access" - weasel words) like literally every other first world nation.

Back