Tips for suddenly adjusting to working night shift?

SugarKrok

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Just got switched to Night shift. No days to adjust my sleep schedule. It's on. Any pointers? I dont drink coffe, but I may start. Onoy thing I can think of is to chew gun throught the night.

remember to adjust your jerkoff schedule too

+1 on the melatonin. Heavy curtains or hang a blanket over windows. Get a fan to run while sleeping. The noise will block out some outside noise but may become a hard habit to break once you go back to sleeping at night, lol. When you get off for the week that morning, try to stay up when you get home. You'll crash early but will wake up on a decent schedule for your days off.

I like to sleep before and after a night shift.

2 hrs before, 6 after.

Night shifts suck and there's no way around it. Nights are for sleeping or browsing Sherdog, nothing else. If you can, try to split your sleep in two periods. When I used to work night shifts I would go home, sleep for 2-3 hours then work out and go about my day, and get another 3 hour sleep before the work. It was the only way I could keep up relatively normall life and still be able to function at work. I hated it anyway, some people are better at adjusting to it than others.

Definitely need less when you split it up, but I like t overload the sleep to compensate for the upset .

Go with caffeine pills first couple of shifts or lots of Red Bull. You just need to adjust your sleep schedule. Avoid doing doubles it will fuck you all up

Just got switched to Night shift. No days to adjust my sleep schedule. It's on. Any pointers? I dont drink coffe, but I may start. Onoy thing I can think of is to chew gun throught the night.
Sherdog all night.

I suggest crack cocaine before work and Nytol when you get home.

I didn't even think I about how hard it might be to sleep in the day. Lol.

I used 5 Hour Energy shots when I had to work nights
Half of one will have you good for several hours if you aint used to them
Listen to music if you can, helps keep you stimulated (no homo)

Make sure your bedroom is really dark.
Melatonin will help a bit.

I worked shift for 12 years and it wasn't fun...

Never had to work nights but had to switch from 330am to 1230pm start times more than once. My tip is get a new job cuz you never get used to that shit.

Tell them you are taking a day to adjust. Dont let them dick you around as if your life doesnt matter. They dick you around today and they will never stop dicking around.

Tell them you are taking a day to adjust. Dont let them dick you around as if your life doesnt matter. They dick you around today and they will never stop dicking around.

Cant go into details, but let's just say this wasn't the case. I forgot about redbull. Ill buy some.

Im trying sleep all day, but cant fall asleep.

Its a lot easier switching to nights than it is switch back to days!
Everyone I know who's worked nights also gain a lot of weights as you will feel hungry where you are up doing things where you'd normally be asleep.

Back