Tito Ortiz admits Sakuraba was better than him, trashes Rickson Gracie

Bocgam

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Q: Well then, for you who are the world top five in the middle class?

Tito: Let me see.... First, the top is Sakuraba, and next is me.

Q: Do you admit that Sakuraba is better than you who is the champion of UFC?

Tito: Yes, I do at this moment. He has left a great result so far. But I promise that I will go beyond him in the near future. And I think Frank Shamrock, Dan Henderson, Renzo or Tamura will follow me. If Randleman can lose weight, he will also join us.

Q: What about Rickson Gracie? Can't he be one of the top five?

Tito: Rickson? I'm eager to fight with him. If the fight between Rickson and me is realized in Japan, I will get fond of Japanese people much more than I do now. But I think he will never fight with me. If he fights with me, his fate will be the same as Kondo. No, he will get more bloody. That's why he will never, never, never fight with me! If he has enough courage to fight with me, he is worth being respected only for that. But he is afraid of me. He calls himself "the strongest in the world", doesn't he? Then why doesn't he fight with me, who is the world champion and always ready to fight with him? I never think that he is the strongest. The strongest is Sakuraba. He is the best. So defeating Sakuraba is a goal for me. It's easy to defeat Rickson. What is most difficult for me is not to defeat him, but to fight with him. He is the most difficult fighter in the world to fight with. (laughing)

Q: "The most difficult fighter in the world to fight with"...... Exactly right! (laughing) Do the top fighters of NHB considers Rickson just like you?

Tito: Yes, everybody thinks so. When he does a fight, he chooses an opponent, doesn't he? He fights only once a year with a not so strong fighter. Naturally he can keep a non-defeat record under this condition.. (laughing) He has never fought with a fighter who is good at both standing and ground techniques. His strategy for victory is to choose an opponent whose technique is limited to only attacks and finish him with choke. He is an artificial champion, after all. I am different from Rickson. Whoever comes to me, I will make a record of a real successive victory in the future. So I want the Japanese fan to pay attention to the real champion, Tito Ortiz, from now on.

http://www.global-training-report.com/tito.htm

DDmG_f-maxage-0.gif

Why would you post about what Tito thought in 2001?

None of this shit is relevant now in the least.

He should come out and apologize for his comments against the GOAT BJJ player Rickson Gracie

I like how TS keeps posting old school threads that aren't really relevent anymore, and keeps failing to put the year in them.

It's good schtick. <{titihmm}>

love reading oldschool interviews, but for fuck sake,date your thread titles bud

Last edited:
If we're smoking old shit remember when BJ beat Hughes the first time...wtf is this

Tito was just trying to hype a potential fight with Rickson

Tito said tamura, I think he's talking about kiyoshi tamura?

Those responses are surprisingly articulate for Tito Ortiz. <{titihmm}>

Also, that interview is so old, they still refer to MMA as No Holds Barred.

Back