TKD FOOTWORK

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I am already very familiar with boxing and muay thai style footwork, looking to learn TKD style footwork. If anyone could post some good instructional videos, on tkd style footwork drills etc. looking at ways to practice the switch, etc. thanks

I think you should go to a TKD school to have some classes. (prefer ITF if you can). You can learn stances and drills from youtube, but i think the best way to understand the logic behind it, is to have some sparring...

For them, it all comes down to speed and reflexes... You must either be faster than your opponent, or choose the best counter to his strike.
You step/jump in and out a lot... You must be able to change directions quickly, stop on your tracks moving backward or forward, jump at any moment... That means also a lot of work on balance.

Since they don't have to worry about low kicks, or strikes to the back. And since fast movement in and out is more important, that explain the blade footed stance. It also makes a smaller target, and allows to use your rear leg for spinning shits faster.
Downside is that your rear roundhouse, side kick, or teep/front kick, will travel a bigger distance. Same for the rear hand punch. Will be slow and from an awkward position.

They are light on their feet, since they don't try to block heavily like MT. They prefer to counter or evade the strike.

Lots of them prefer to have their good leg in front, for faster reaction, but every experienced one will be able to fight in both stances.

They use a lot of body feints, that why they constantly move/bounce...

They are very good at measuring distance, without the use of a strike. (jab/teep/low kick). They don't spend a round trying to figure the opponent, distances etc. As soon as the match starts, they go at it. But if they have to, the front leg side kick is the best tool for that.

They don't really switch, they just change stances. And it's a huge deal, since depending on what stance you have, what stance your opponent has and what strikes he throws, your counter will be different.

ARIZE description above capsulate it nicely. The footwork translates very well to boxing rules but Muay Thai.. Not so sure.

looking for the stance switch drills, TKD transition from orthodox/southpaw effortlessly

looking for the stance switch drills, TKD transition from orthodox/southpaw effortlessly

Search youtube for "revolution of kicking". It's a DVD series that covers common TKD techniques, but the technique break downs include some good footwork explanations that go along with the techniques.

TKD has a long range. The sparring is a real great workout. You take long strides, and do then fast.

TKD has a long range. The sparring is a real great workout. You take long strides, and do then fast.

And people would be surprised at how hard it is to close the gap with boxing alone if the guy had some KB experience. I used to think boxing beats above the waist KB routinely but not anymore....

that was very informative
Take all those footwork combinations and break them and make them into repetitive chains of the same step or stance switch.

The thing is to get them to the point that you're executing them faster than you can think...You know that already from your other training so it's the same process but with new movements.

Back in the day we'd take a who's room and just skip step up and down the length a bunch of times, than change it to stance switch, then change to skip step stance switch.

You we how the patterns get built. Study that clip and learn it from that perspective. Deconstructing the combined movements to there pieces, train them and then build combo's.

Back in my day we didn't have YouTube where if you're dedicated, solo training is right there to reference anytime you want.

Then as others have said TKD specific sparring will trwin you with the timing and reaction after you absorb the footwork fundamentals.

There isn't really style specific footwork IMO. Every body does the same stuff, even identical drills. Slides and pivots in boxing are very similar to getting out of the way of a TKD kick. The only difference is how much practice you have with something. So go to a TKD class and practice getting out of the way of kicks.

There isn't really style specific footwork IMO. Every body does the same stuff, even identical drills.

I don't agree with that... Footwork from MT, TKD, and Boxing are completely different, needing different drills. You will find some common ones, but also a lot of specific ones.
Just the difference in balance in the basic stance will makes the footwork different.
And to go further, even inside the same sport, footwork is not the same for different styles. A counter outside boxer wont use the same footwork as a heavy inside puncher. And they will need different drills...

Last edited:
I dunno, I've trained in a ton of different styles and none have ever blown me away as having unique footwork. You move backwards, you move forwards, you move to the side, you pivot.

Back