TKD/Karate Kicks that Lunge to cover distance

You can just hop on one leg and execute the side kick normally, you push of the leg when it lands and aim for the stomach, you use the forward momentum of hopping forwards so this kick is strong, not like the toe taps of TKD.

mtfkz I found it:

They call it a skip side kick but hopping side kick would name it better.

Last edited:
This Korean from the 70s who was national FC champion in old school TKD rules throws them like they were originally intended - to hurt

This Korean from the 70s who was national FC champion in old school TKD rules throws them like they were originally intended - to hurt

img_4002.gif

Tang soo do has more solid kicks than TKD, it's the original korean art brought from japan.

Tang soo do has more solid kicks than TKD, it's the original korean art brought from japan.

Tang Soo do is the precursor of TaeKwonDo, and what I just posted. Then branched another style which became the Olympic style, which emphasised footwork and speed over power.

They guy I posted is of the old school and a phenomenal mover for a heavy weight.

Tang Soo do is the precursor of TaeKwonDo, and what I just posted. Then branched another style which became the Olympic style, which emphasised footwork and speed over power.

They guy I posted is of the old school and a phenomenal mover for a heavy weight.

So you're telling there are two styles of TKD, a combat and a sport one? I thought all TKDers are ballerinas because I did TSD when I was a kid, and TSD is tough, it hurts your balls.

So you're telling there are two styles of TKD, a combat and a sport one? I thought all TKDers are ballerinas because I did TSD when I was a kid, and TSD is tough, it hurts your balls.

Yes. Jhoon Rhee changed name from Tang Soo Do to Taekwondo, for instance. It's all the same. The olympic style that came later is however distinct.

Yes. Jhoon Rhee changed name from Tang Soo Do to Taekwondo, for instance. It's all the same. The olympic style that came later is however distinct.

I doubt it, they changed the name and they made the techniques fancier for army exhibitions in Korea, then they used these techniques in spot TKD, tang soo do is actually karate.
What I've been taught in TSD is nowhere near what they teach in TKD, I even used weapons in regular training.

I doubt it, they changed the name and they made the techniques fancier for army exhibitions in Korea, then they used these techniques in spot TKD, tang soo do is actually karate.

They did not change the techniques. I have seen Tang Soo Do guys kick, and they kick exactly the same as the traditional stylists in TaeKwondo.

They did not change the techniques. I have seen Tang Soo Do guys kick, and they kick exactly the same as the traditional stylists in TaeKwondo.

The kicks are very similar but they don't have throws or use weapons like tang soo do.
Belt system is different too. I don't like either TSD or TKD, punches are shit although I've fought with this style in the streets decades ago. Open palm strikes would make more sense 400 years ago when people wore armors although TSD has both fist and palm strikes.

You’re lifting your knee high while pointing the bottom of your feet at the opponent while sliding forward on your back leg. All while trying to stay as upright as possible. Pretty advanced stuff to pull off live.

When I was taking tkd class once a week the instructor called it a sliding cut kick.
Cut = side kick
Gonna have to take tkd classes to learn that

This.

Did TKD for about 5 years and the slide is hard to explain unless you see it in person. The slide covers more distance and increases the impact. People underestimate your range and when they think you are too far away you still catch them, so there is a surprise element to it as well.

Your leg ideally turns nearly 180 degrees turning the foot laterally.

What's the technique behind the slide? Do you launch off with your rear foot and pivot and turn the hip in mid air, and land fully pivoted?

Back