TKO6.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
The ending of the Lennox Lewis-Vitali Klitschko fight is a topic of debate. Some say that the stoppage was premature, as Vitali was ahead on the scorecards and wanted to continue. The fact that Lewis retired instead of rematching Vitali only adds fuel to the fire.

What do you think? Was the stoppage fair, or should Vitali have been allowed to continue?

Vitali risked serious injury if he continued. If a cut stoppage was ever warranted, it was for this-

lewis_l_.jpg

It was a hell of a cut. I can see why it was stopped. It was unfortunate for Vitali because he was doing very well, but s*** happens. Too bad Lennox didn't give the rematch he said he would, but he probably knew he'd have a real scrap on his hands in the rematch and didn't want to go through it again. If it was that easy (as he said when he retired), he would have done it, because he is not shy about rematches when he knows he can win (both losses and the draw).

Still, not fighting Vitali I don't think hurt Lennox in the long run, just Vitali.

All in all he needed about 60 stitches, it most certainly wasn’t a premature stoppage. Not sure why people still complain about it

Vitali wouldn't have looked worse after going through a windshield.

It was the right call. Vitali would have won a rematch, but Lewis was also done as a fighter.

I don't have a problem with a fighter retiring and skipping out on hteir biggest challenge so long as they stay true to their word and stay retired, which Lewis did (as opposed to just "retiring" for two minutes then jumping back in when its convenient).

It was talked about after that Vitali could have lost his eye completely. He should be happy to have gotten out of the fight without permanent injuries.

He was a good opponent but Lennox took over after Initial surprise of how good Vitali fought and would have turned his face into a mess. The momentum had shifted completely

Back