To pursue or not pursue?? Police chasing...

What sort of punishment do people get for running from the police?
Or does that have too many variables to give a sort of average?

Way too many variables. I personally think it should be a very harsh penalty. My first pursuit was a guy that had two previous fleeing charges in six months. He got six months in jail.

How are they to know

I always thought a car was a dangerous weapon if used in such a manner.
So if a thief has one, he is now considered dangerous.

Which I guess means , let them go?

3 or 4 hop in the car. Some even wait for police and then say punch it to 100mph so the cops will leave.
Or purposely drive reckless.

Lots of money being paid out to those pursued by cops

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/suffolk-crash-victim-settlement-1.16465378

I have always said that these assholes that flee in a vehicle are basically firing a gun down the street. I believe that it’s that dangerous to everyone involved. For that reason, you better have a damn good reason for the chase.

How do they know? Basically, my officers have to know that when they are asking to chase a suspect, they have to know this suspect is wanted for a serious felony, or is suspected of having just committed a violent felony. I don’t let them play the “what if” game where they try to postulate that there are guns, bodies, wanted murderers in the vehicle. If they know that, then fine, chase away.

Now i have had the debate with some of my officers that “technically, when they flee recklessly, they are committing a felony.” So I always go back to “why were you trying to stop them in the first place?” If the answer is that they didn’t have a seat belt on or they blew a stop sign, my answer is we do not chase, even if they flee recklessly.

I have also had one officer try to justify a chase by saying “he is wanted for a felony!” when I asked on the radio why they were trying to pursue. “Is it a violent felony?” “He is wanted for check forgery.” Nope, terminate pursuit. The guys even call me “the terminator” because I terminate pursuits so quick.

But it boils down to the fact that I can’t live with being responsible for not calling off a pursuit that leads to the death of a citizen or one of my officers. I can’t have that.

I have always said that these assholes that flee in a vehicle are basically firing a gun down the street. I believe that it’s that dangerous to everyone involved. For that reason, you better have a damn good reason for the chase.

How do they know? Basically, my officers have to know that when they are asking to chase a suspect, they have to know this suspect is wanted for a serious felony, or is suspected of having just committed a violent felony. I don’t let them play the “what if” game where they try to postulate that there are guns, bodies, wanted murderers in the vehicle. If they know that, then fine, chase away.

Now i have had the debate with some of my officers that “technically, when they flee recklessly, they are committing a felony.” So I always go back to “why were you trying to stop them in the first place?” If the answer is that they didn’t have a seat belt on or they blew a stop sign, my answer is we do not chase, even if they flee recklessly.

I have also had one officer try to justify a chase by saying “he is wanted for a felony!” when I asked on the radio why they were trying to pursue. “Is it a violent felony?” “He is wanted for check forgery.” Nope, terminate pursuit. The guys even call me “the terminator” because I terminate pursuits so quick.

But it boils down to the fact that I can’t live with being responsible for not calling off a pursuit that leads to the death of a citizen or one of my officers. I can’t have that.

Guess it's a little complicated , but by giving the notion to these thugs that they will not be chased if they drive recklessly or at high speeds.

It has turned into a game of kids jumping in cars, driving around until cops spot them and then drive recklessly .
If they were never given the idea that it is possible to get away, maybe less would try.

If you read it he doesn't say they shouldn't be punished. We should just be humane otherwise we are no better than our prisoners.

Be humane to prisoners?
People who do bad things receive mad consequences .
And people who never commit crimes are always better then the ones that don't.
What a horrible comparison .
It is ok to treat criminals like shit

What sort of punishment do people get for running from the police?
Or does that have too many variables to give a sort of average?

Felony fleeing. But proving who the diver was in near impossible in the hood.

Honestly it's only a matter of time until this all stops. With Drones, and with self driving cars this will all be in the past.

I am not a fan of pursuits. I've chased twice for felonies that were within policy at speeds of 120ish on the freeway. This was when I had like 2 years on, never again.

Pursuits are dangerous as hell for officers and the general public. Fully agree on terminating pursuits unless the want is a violent felony crime.

I do applaud you for doing the right thing. Nobody wants to be near a high speed pursuit or have one go down in their neighborhood. I do agree that engaging in a high speed chase is comparable to manslaughter. Is there something else to be done to mitigate the problem? Stiffen the penalties? I think engaging in a high speed chase specifically should warrant a death penalty at trial.

Pursue , you give them a chance to get away if you don't pursue, and also cops need to take charge and p.i.t the car sooner, cops are to stupid now days. The longer the pursue takes the more dangerous it becomes...

Also ts mentioning liberals anytime he has a chance, ts is a moron

Way too many variables. I personally think it should be a very harsh penalty. My first pursuit was a guy that had two previous fleeing charges in six months. He got six months in jail.

I don't know how the police put up with dealing with the same people over and over again. Prosecutors and judges let these people off time and time again thinking they will change.

I don't know how the police put up with dealing with the same people over and over again. Prosecutors and judges let these people off time and time again thinking they will change.

It's is beyond obscene who these liberal lawyers and judges let go.

How many caught and let go because of no probable cause

Soft?

Big Herc is not amused.

big-herc-620x400.jpg

You might get yo wig split talking like that on the yard.

UFC HW champ after 3 month camp.

Should have special cars with harpoon launches installed to spear the fleeing car.

They know they won’t change, but jail costs are a big reason along with prison overcrowding. In my 16 years as a Leo, I have come to change my expectations in regard to how much time(punishment) a criminal is going to get.

When I read over a criminal’s triple I(their entire criminal history excluding citations) I am always amazed at both the length and severity of many of these creatures. We have an infestation of Cleveland assholes that have taken root in this area. It’s not uncommon for small town or medium sized cities to attract big city criminals because they can be big fish in a smaller pond. I have also been told on multiple occasions that we are much nicer than Cleveland police. I actually had a guy say “aren’t you going to beat me now?” And he was being shocked when I was shocked and told him of course not.

Anyway, these guys have so many damn felonies, and recent ones, it baffles me that they are free men. Violent crimes with guns on top of a shit ton of trafficking offenses. We arrested a guy on Wednesday that had been arrested here with a gun a few months ago. He is a felon. Then when he got out of jail in Cleveland, he got shot and arrested again with a gun. He was limping and it was still scabbed. We got him in traffic offenses and a small amount of cocaine, but the baggie had powder residue caked on the entire inside, indicating that at one point, there was a lot more Coke in that bag.

The officer came to me to ask if he could release this guy in tickets. Normally, my answer is absolutely, but I told him no way in hell. This is a dangerous guy, very dangerous, and a serious drug dealer. Fuck him, he needs popped every time we get the chance to try and get him out of our town. He clearly is always going to be a dangerous criminal, and despite getting caught so many times with guns and other felonies, the system is doing nothing with him. We need him gone before he shoots someone here. All of our shootings and murders involve Cleveland assholes.

So to answer your question, I accept that it is part of the job to deal with the same people time and again. However, the local criminals-you develop rapport and it becomes nothing personal, but these out of town guys are seriously bad news, and I always want to grab them and beat the shot out of the, or at least call them what they are-shitheads that couldn’t hack it in their own town so they have to go to a small town to feel big. But I would never act on that anger and frustration, but it comes out with no breaks ever for Cleveland guys.

Guess it's a little complicated , but by giving the notion to these thugs that they will not be chased if they drive recklessly or at high speeds.

It has turned into a game of kids jumping in cars, driving around until cops spot them and then drive recklessly .
If they were never given the idea that it is possible to get away, maybe less would try.

Oh, I agree, but again, it comes down to the risk. How are these kids getting these cars? Stupid and lazy people leave their cars unsecured and running. I am not risking anyone’s life because someone left their car running-that is both illegal and stupid, and their own damn problem.

Oh, I agree, but again, it comes down to the risk. How are these kids getting these cars? Stupid and lazy people leave their cars unsecured and running. I am not risking anyone’s life because someone left their car running-that is both illegal and stupid, and their own damn problem.

I Never like to blame the vicitim. Blame the career criminal.
Make running from cops a huge charge , not less of one.

These kids have zero deterance because of law laws, liberals lawyers and judges and pampered prison system .
No more solitary confinement for animals, really liberal debalssio

Yo that got rid of solitary yo, shit ain't that mad now yo. It's Friday let's make it rain and try robbing some stores or cars.

As a shift commander, I have called off so many damn pursuits. My first question is “why are you trying to stop the vehicle?” If the answer is for a traffic violation, pursuit is called off. Basically, unless they are chasing a known felony or someone wanted for a serious violent crime, and not the “what if he has a body in the trunk/what if .....” the pursuit is called off.

I have changed my stance on the issue over the years, maybe maturity, maybe being in command has changed me, but pursuits are just too dangerous.

Don’t get me wrong, when someone runs, it pisses me off. I want to skull fuck them with a strapped on knife, but that does not mean I am willing to risk the public or one of my officers just to prevent some lowlife asshole that is likely running because of drugs or a suspended license. That is a radical change from wanting snipers to take out the driver.

As for those links, I would employ a bait car for the assholes calling for Chinese food, then catch their stupid asses and when they run on foot, have a k9 snack on them.

I don't get the logic- if he is running from the cops over a minor traffic violation, then he just might have a body in the trunk!

Why else would he be running away from a simple ticket?

I know it is dangerous and I don't want to see innocent people die. Drones are a great idea.

I am curious to know (I apologize if already answered) - what percentage of those who flee are ultimately caught?

It's is beyond obscene who these liberal lawyers and judges let go.

How many caught and let go because of no probable cause

It is the conservative Republican prosecutors and judges around here who let them walk because they don't want to spend the money to incarcerate them.

Back