To pursue or not pursue?? Police chasing...

I don't get the logic- if he is running from the cops over a minor traffic violation, then he just might have a body in the trunk!

Why else would he be running away from a simple ticket?

I know it is dangerous and I don't want to see innocent people die. Drones are a great idea.

I am curious to know (I apologize if already answered) - what percentage of those who flee are ultimately caught?
I don't get the logic- if he is running from the cops over a minor traffic violation, then he just might have a body in the trunk!

I know it is dangerous and I don't want to see innocent people die. Drones are a great idea.

I am curious to know (I apologize if already answered) - what percentage of those who flee are ultimately caught?

I just spent about thirty minutes trying to find an answer, and in the process, read about ten papers on pursuits.

I could not find one mention of the percentage of apprehensions in pursuits. The only mention, was in relation to “starchase” a pursuit tracking device fired at the suspect vehicle that tracks the vehicle. They claim between 55% and 85% apprehension rate.

I did find that 40% of all pursuits end in crashes. So i would assume that most of those end up being arrests, though not necessarily, as the suspect probably flees on foot. However, they may be captured later.

The stats do show that most pursuits stem from either a traffic infraction or a stolen vehicle. The numbers were close, 27% and 32% respectively. While trying to figure out the total number of police pursuits per year, I found a stat that I did not believe. One study stated the number at between 30,000 and 40,000 pursuits per year. I thought that was ridiculously high. So I tried to come up wig my own number. On average, 1 person dies every day from a pursuit. On average, 1 out of every 100 pursuits ends in a death. So I figured that there must be 100 pursuits every day. Then multiplying 100x 365 gives you 36,500. So maybe that study did the same thing I did. The IACP has a database for pursuits, but not everyone contributes. Their numbers are really low-8,000.

Either way, it is a large number. My dept gets involved in probably ten pursuits per year, maybe as many as 20. We usually get an arrest-eventually. I have been involved in ten pursuits, with 8/10 ending in arrest that day. The other two were eventually arrested-one the next day, another a year later(he fled the area). Three of those pursuits were stolen vehicles, three for traffic infractions, the others were warrant and one shooting. I am probably forgetting a few over the course of sixteen years, though.

I will say this. I had three chases that scared the shit out of me. Two involved vehicles going the wrong way on a highway. One was the day I was to be sworn in as a corporal. The ceremony was about to start when a pursuit was called out. We were in perfect position to intercept. The vehicle was going 100 mph the wrong way on a highway. It was coming right at us when it went up an entrance ramp about 100 yards away from us. The adrenaline hit me so hard, that my leg would not work to hit the brake, and when it did, I was standing on the brake and did not realize it. Then, I went to swear in as a corporal. Everyone was laughing at me because I was violently shaking from adrenaline. My voice was high and reedy, and I almost collapsed. I have seen officers do that, and I have seen officers throwing up after a chase. This shit is scary, a little bit fun and exciting, but the adrenaline dump and the next few days are spent with interrupted sleep due to stress.

I Never like to blame the vicitim. Blame the career criminal.
Make running from cops a huge charge , not less of one.

These kids have zero deterance because of law laws, liberals lawyers and judges and pampered prison system .
No more solitary confinement for animals, really liberal debalssio

Yo that got rid of solitary yo, shit ain't that mad now yo. It's Friday let's make it rain and try robbing some stores or cars.

I agree about making fleeing a big charge. I say five years, but I can’t get that when someone shoots someone else, let alone a pursuit.

I just spent about thirty minutes trying to find an answer, and in the process, read about ten papers on pursuits.

I could not find one mention of the percentage of apprehensions in pursuits. The only mention, was in relation to “starchase” a pursuit tracking device fired at the suspect vehicle that tracks the vehicle. They claim between 55% and 85% apprehension rate.

I did find that 40% of all pursuits end in crashes. So i would assume that most of those end up being arrests, though not necessarily, as the suspect probably flees on foot. However, they may be captured later.

The stats do show that most pursuits stem from either a traffic infraction or a stolen vehicle. The numbers were close, 27% and 32% respectively. While trying to figure out the total number of police pursuits per year, I found a stat that I did not believe. One study stated the number at between 30,000 and 40,000 pursuits per year. I thought that was ridiculously high. So I tried to come up wig my own number. On average, 1 person dies every day from a pursuit. On average, 1 out of every 100 pursuits ends in a death. So I figured that there must be 100 pursuits every day. Then multiplying 100x 365 gives you 36,500. So maybe that study did the same thing I did. The IACP has a database for pursuits, but not everyone contributes. Their numbers are really low-8,000.

Either way, it is a large number. My dept gets involved in probably ten pursuits per year, maybe as many as 20. We usually get an arrest-eventually. I have been involved in ten pursuits, with 8/10 ending in arrest that day. The other two were eventually arrested-one the next day, another a year later(he fled the area). Three of those pursuits were stolen vehicles, three for traffic infractions, the others were warrant and one shooting. I am probably forgetting a few over the course of sixteen years, though.

I will say this. I had three chases that scared the shit out of me. Two involved vehicles going the wrong way on a highway. One was the day I was to be sworn in as a corporal. The ceremony was about to start when a pursuit was called out. We were in perfect position to intercept. The vehicle was going 100 mph the wrong way on a highway. It was coming right at us when it went up an entrance ramp about 100 yards away from us. The adrenaline hit me so hard, that my leg would not work to hit the brake, and when it did, I was standing on the brake and did not realize it. Then, I went to swear in as a corporal. Everyone was laughing at me because I was violently shaking from adrenaline. My voice was high and reedy, and I almost collapsed. I have seen officers do that, and I have seen officers throwing up after a chase. This shit is scary, a little bit fun and exciting, but the adrenaline dump and the next few days are spent with interrupted sleep due to stress.

Great story! Also, thank you very much for putting in such an effort- both here with your response and also in the field serving the public.

At one death per day, I'd be willing to continue with the pursuits.

However, I believe that we should have very harsh consequences for breaking certain laws, for example, death penalty for those who steal vehicles. I think that would deter people and also result in less chases. It could backfire though, I'm far from an expert.

chase em down and lock them up. running should be automatic 5 years.

Soft?

Big Herc is not amused.

big-herc-620x400.jpg

You might get yo wig split talking like that on the yard.

I spent several hours getting sucked into his videos. That man is a genius to turn something the rest of society views as a pariah and holds their nose up at into a functioning business.

Because they are fucking idiots. Have you watched Live PD. People run for basic traffic warrants, driving suspended, no insurance, a small amount of weed, etc. It's incredible the amount of shit people bring on themselves that would have ended up with a warning or small ticket.

Because they are fucking idiots. Have you watched Live PD. People run for basic traffic warrants, driving suspended, no insurance, a small amount of weed, etc. It's incredible the amount of shit people bring on themselves that would have ended up with a warning or small ticket.

Then extreme penalties are needed to deter them.

Then extreme penalties are needed to deter them.

Honestly it's seems like these people just panic and go full retard. It amazes me watching that show. Running from the police in a vehicle, on foot, give false info, resist/fight, reach for a weapon, etc all over something relatively simple(obviously some are more serious but there is a lot of just simple shit vs now they brought multiple misdemeanors or felonies on themselves).

@Protectandserve
@nhbbear

How often does what I laid out ^ happen to you. Something simple and these people make a mountain out of a molehill.

It usually happens when people are intoxicated. Turn a simple arrest and release from our holding facility (you don't even go to county jail for a first time DUI, if you're cooperative) into a felony by fighting the cops. Had several DUI's I was the follow on, where the dude or lady decides to fight us instead of being cooperative.

Had a dude recently who was drunk and an officer was going to advise him to leave and that was it. Dude instead squares up, punches the cop in the nose, then gets blasted with a big left hook from another officer there. I show up, dude is in cuffs, has assaulted two cops and his top lip is split open about 2 inches. He then proceeded to fight with me, another officer, nursing staff and doctors at the hospital. He went from literally a warning to leave to like 3 separate felony charges of assaulting officers and nursing staff and a few misdemeanors too. Probably like 6 or so additional charges, a hospital stay and some stitches and a scar he will have likely for the rest of his life, all because he was a drunk dumb ass.

Also we get the dudes who go felony evading over some dumb small warrant. Like the kind you get a ticket and a new court date for, instead they pick up additional felony charges for evading.

@Protectandserve
@nhbbear

How often does what I laid out ^ happen to you. Something simple and these people make a mountain out of a molehill.

Personally, I have had a mix of stupid reactions and people that had planned to run if they were to be pulled over.

I have been trying to count the pursuits I have been involved in, and I can remember at least three stolen vehicles. That is a given that those people will run. We actually witnessed one vehicle being stolen. We were sitting on the prime drug corner just dissuading business when we saw a guy jump into a running vehicle and then take off. He ended up rolling the vehicle, almost taking a cop’s wife and daughter with him in the process.

Anyway, I can really only think of one or two chases that were simply a panic response. The others were stolen vehicles or they were running until they could ditch their Coke, guns, whatever. The most recent chase was the brother of our most recent murder, and he was in town from Cleveland hunting for the guy that shot his brother. We know he ditched a gun, either during the car chase or at some point when he ran from the vehicle and went aground. On a side note, this was the man that I had talked about in one of my threads-a foot chase where he ran into a dead end. He then charged me and lowered his shoulder and I tackled him. It was a nasty collision that left us both dazed. But the fight was still on and we had to choke him and then threaten to beat him like a baby seal before he gave up. He had about a thousand dollars and 37 grams of crack. He lost a good bit of money and five years of his life for that one.

Letting them go is the worst thing you can do. I say pull out the assault rifles and light em up

It feels like whatever methods they have been using the last year have only led to an increase in police resistance .

Back