To the wrestling Experts of Sherdog, Who's wrestling Is better between Lee and Khabib?

The average person probably doesn't know that Lee's wrestling Is very very good, he Is no joke In that department. Had he continued wrestling In College, would've accomplished a lot.

That said, I was just wondering where his wrestling ranks with Khabib.

I understand wrestling but It's not my field of expertise, was just curious If brighter minds than myself In that regard could elaborate.
Okay so starting from the bottom.

Khabib growing up and through his teens was not wrestling but competing at a very, very high level of Sambo, this gave him some flashy takedowns and good balance, hence why he has adapted so well to actual wrestling.

Kevin Lee was a NCWA wrestler but I can't find what division he was so it's up in the air, but he went 37-0 and was a national tournament qualifier but stopped there.

Now he accomplished this at Grand Valley State University which as I am looking is not ranked on any site for top wrestling colleges so him going 37-0 there is nothing like what Cael Sanderson did as he likely never face an elite wrestler.

How far he could have gone is anyones guess but I highly doubt he was NCAA Div. 1 champion material, he hasn't shown that.

Comparing the two, well Lee has had a major head start but Khabib has amazing wrestling coaches especially in Olympian Daniel Cormier but on the mat my pick would be Lee to win.

Khabib is the better greco roman wrestler, but lee is the better freestyle wrestler. the problem is that, Khabib mixes greco roman, freestyle, folk and judo so well that it's really hard to classify him.

for example, khabib has great greco roman wrestling, yet greco roman doesn't allow trips with the legs or foot sweeps, etc etc, but if you watch khabib, he is excellent at adding trips or foot sweeps from judo and freestyle into his game.

while on the feet, khabib typically employs greco roman, freestyle, and judo, but once it hits the mat it's mostly all folkstyle rides and beautiful BJJ guard passing.

Last edited:
Khabib is a better cage wrestler. His game is built on forcing you into the fence with a right underhook.(Tibau never gave up the right underhook thus thwarting his takedowns). From there he attacks depending on your posture and weight. Lean back he will inside trip you. Lean forward hip toss. Mostly he is looking to double leg or bodylock, pulling you off the cage and get the takedown. Khabib almost never shoots in reaction to his opponents offense. He likes to get his opponent to react to his feints/punches. He always wants to be in control.

Kevin shoots faster and has a nice double. In the Ferguson fight he opted for bodylock takedowns instead of staying low on the legs. Getting the takedown in the center of the cage. Kevin has quick reactions and will take you down off a kick or as you step in to punch.

Here BJJscout gives an overview of Khabib's cage takedown techniques. It's not so much that Khabib is the greatest wrestler in the world, but that his techniques are finely tuned to the cage. Other fighters just have to catch up to understand what he is doing, so they can counter it.

This is a fight i wanna see. Both guys are strong as hell. I think kevin mostly goes for doubles. It also looks like he muscles alot of them. Khabibs a more complete grappler in the clinch. They both also have great top control, lee loves to pass and takes the back really quickly. Khabib is more patient there. I honestly think kevins the only guy ib the top 10 that could get khabib down. I think khabibs the better all around grappler though.

ON A TECHNICAL LEVEL WHO FUCKING CARES, TAKE A HIKE DWEEB. KHABIB WOULD PUT THIS KID ON HIS BACK, AND IT'S REALLY SIMPLE AS THAT.

Just kidding, relax. You just seem like a dweeb is all.
far from it brah <DCWhoa>

lee is the better folk style wrestler where khabib is the better greco style wrestler

Khabib style is a hybrid of judo and greco. You aren't going to get a real answer because unless you're a professional fighter no Sherdogger will have a background in judo, freestyle, and greco.

In short: Khabib is the most complete grappler of the two.

Exactly.
But he’s not a “wrestler” as defined by Olympic or American definition.

It bugs me to keep hearing about Khabib’s “wrestling”.
He’s something else entirely.

Exactly.
But he’s not a “wrestler” as defined by Olympic or American definition.

It bugs me to keep hearing about Khabib’s “wrestling”.
He’s something else entirely.
true true, yeah I feel the same way.

He's a combination of styles.

You can tell the judo / sambo is a huge aspect of his game / style.

If Lee super impressive on Saturday I think he is getting this fight. He’s one of those guys the UFC is trying to make into a star. So big moment for him on Saturday. He better deliver..

I am a wrestling expert. Captain of the UK Olympic wrestling team and head high school wrestling coach for many years

Lee is better

I am a wrestling expert. Captain of the UK Olympic wrestling team and head high school wrestling coach for many years

Lee is better
UK seem to be doing quite well in wrestling these days........... it would be interesting to see more of UK wrestlers start in wrestling. I heard that many of Britain's wrestlers are former judoka.

If Lee super impressive on Saturday I think he is getting this fight. He’s one of those guys the UFC is trying to make into a star. So big moment for him on Saturday. He better deliver..
i just hope all 3 active top guys (Alvarez, Poirier, winner of Lee/Barboza) all don't sit out all summer hoping for an October fight against Khabib.

only one of them will get it (assuming shamrock doesn't fight, and we have no reason to think he will). i think Lee should be 3rd in that race, but it doesn't really matter to me which of the 3 get it.

and hell, if Lee gets Khabib, maybe Alvarez v Poirier 2. win/win for the fans.

i just hope all 3 active top guys (Alvarez, Poirier, winner of Lee/Barboza) all don't sit out all summer hoping for an October fight against Khabib.

only one of them will get it (assuming shamrock doesn't fight, and we have no reason to think he will). i think Lee should be 3rd in that race, but it doesn't really matter to me which of the 3 get it.

Conor fights Khabib <seedat>

PS lots of good analysis in this thread about what exactly makes Khabib so good, and why the one word "wrestling" isn't comprehensive enough to describe it. kudos to many.

I don't do drugs.

What exactly makes someone a dweeb? Being smart?

I could beat your ass without much effort too. Still a dweeb?

So you're a self-proclaimed intellectual, who can also magically beat my ass, presumably you mean with your fingers, using your keyboard, on this forum.

Yeah, I'd say you're a huge fucking dweeb.

Yes. Dustin already tried to get that rematch with Eddie but Eddie was not interested at that time. I think you are correct, if Lee is impressive on Saturday and gets the opportunity, I think we get to see that rematch for the number one contender spot.

Back