To tip or not to tip

I went out for supper last night after work because it was a long hard week of work. Exhausted. Went to a sushi/japanese food place I like to go to. Service is always good - regardless of when I've gone there - early, late, busy, not busy.

So of course I tipped generously - 20%.

Part of the job is to make a customer feel like their hard earned money is being well spent - All aspects of the restaurant business are TAKING MONEY OUT OF MY POCKET not the other way around. Do your job and you wont have to feel the need to turn to criminal behaviour as way of getting back at patrons whose money are the reason you have a job.

Its just always hilarious to me the people who brag and laugh about how they don't tip, fuck the servers, etc. Do you really think I don't make money or that I'm some shit server? Absolutely not. Truth is there are few and far in between people who don't tip. They are placed on a list we all know who you are if you frequent an establishment. Once a-fucking-gain I'm simply informing those who talk all their shit about not tipping that generally if you frequent the establishment and practice stuffing servers your food or more than likely your drink is tainted. Jesus christ.

So a friend and I were arguing earlier today about tips. He works as a server and I have not so we have entirely different perspectives on this topic. Essentially, I told him that the customer should not be expected to tip and should he/she not tip it should be seen as a sign of poor service rather than being cheap. He said that the servers rely on the tips as they don't get paid minimum wage but I countered by pointing out that the restaurant is legally obligated to ensure the servers make at least minimum wage should their tips not amount to it. He insisted that wasn't the case but I confirmed it on my own later on. He also said that being a server is an extremely stressful job and even if the service is not ideal the customer should tip because of this I said that should a server consistently fail to earn a tip its a sign that the individual just isn;t good at his/her job and maybe they should improve or quit. He insisted that it was just an asshole move not to tip regardless of the quality of service.

Cliffs:
-I say tips should be earned, not expected
-A friend disagrees and says that given the nature of the pay and stress a customer should have to pay at least 15%

What say you Sherdog? Should waiter/waitresses be entitled to tips or should you only tip them according to the quality of their service? Am I an asshole or is he just a bit entitled?

Tipping culture is bullshit. It's not the customer's responsibility to support the server. Tips should definitely only be given if earned and if the patron feels like being generous. This whole attitude that tipping is mandatory is sickening.

If servers need more money or hate their job, find a new one.

Then your food has definitely been fucked with lol. I'm a server I fuck with shitty peoples food all the time. If you don't tip idgaf. Don't like it don't come my restaurant.
So just to repeat, you personally taint peoples food.

What kind of coward hangs out in the back putting pubes in peoples food

You justifying your behavior is the saddest thing.

I always leave 15%, but you feel so entitled to it that you will fuck with someones food?

That is the littlest bitch, cowardly thing I have ever heard someone try and justify.

Last edited:
For the people stating that servers make less than minimum wage so they deserve a tip, just to think out loud, what would you say is an hourly wage that you think a waiter should make if tips were completely removed and weren't a thing at all?

For the people stating that servers make less than minimum wage so they deserve a tip, just to think out loud, what would you say is an hourly wage that you think a waiter should make if tips were completely removed and weren't a thing at all?

About what they make with tips. This isn't really complicated. Waiters aren't making a killing. There was research in another thread that showed waiters/waitresses at the chain restaurants like Chilis or Applebees were taking in around $12 an hour on average.

I don't know why people are so idiotic about the financials. Years ago (about the time of this thread), idiots thought that you would be paying less than a 15% markup for food if tips were abolished. Now many restaurants do it, and most have you paying 20% or above. Why not keep it optional?

So just to repeat, you personally taint peoples food.

What kind of coward hangs out in the back putting pubes in peoples food

You justifying your behavior is the saddest thing.

I always leave 15%, but you feel so entitled to it that you will fuck with someones food?

That is the littlest bitch, cowardly thing I have ever heard someone try and justify.

Fuck this has to be the densest of all dense posts I've ever been a part of. For fucks sake. My fucking point is

You come on a website and brag about not tipping

Your informed if you frequent an establishment and this is what you honestly and consistently do then you are accepting the fact that your shit gets fucked with.

Point of post. Is it worth saving the few bucks to have a decent experience or to be smiled at and given as sub par an experience as possible while also having your shit tainted.

For fucks sake your dumb as shit

About what they make with tips. This isn't really complicated. Waiters aren't making a killing. There was research in another thread that showed waiters/waitresses at the chain restaurants like Chilis or Applebees were taking in around $12 an hour on average.

I don't know why people are so idiotic about the financials. Years ago (about the time of this thread), idiots thought that you would be paying less than a 15% markup for food if tips were abolished. Now many restaurants do it, and most have you paying 20% or above. Why not keep it optional?

So give me a per hour number that you think would suffice or is your answer $12?

Fuck this has to be the densest of all dense posts I've ever been a part of. For fucks sake. My fucking point is

You come on a website and brag about not tipping

Your informed if you frequent an establishment and this is what you honestly and consistently do then you are accepting the fact that your shit gets fucked with.

Point of post. Is it worth saving the few bucks to have a decent experience or to be smiled at and given as sub par an experience as possible while also having your shit tainted.

For fucks sake your dumb as shit
don't act like it's some cultural industry standard to fuck with people's food and you are somehow justified in doing it or following some norm. I've been a line cook, never happened anywhere I worked.

you need to look at yourself in the mirror, bud. Ain't a customer's fault your life is shit.

So give me a per hour number that you think would suffice or is your answer $12?

It depends on what state you are in as well as what region within the state. It depends on what type of restaurant. What type of question is that? Lol

It depends on what state you are in as well as what region within the state. It depends on what type of restaurant. What type of question is that? Lol

An IHOP in Abilene, TX - is getting paid 50k, most of which is undeclared tips enough? If we removed tips, how much is a fare wage for the person?

People who sit around complaining about tipping are generally assholes.

I never in my life went out with people where this topic was pondered. You pay, tip and be on your way like every other normal person does it.

So a friend and I were arguing earlier today about tips. He works as a server and I have not so we have entirely different perspectives on this topic. Essentially, I told him that the customer should not be expected to tip and should he/she not tip it should be seen as a sign of poor service rather than being cheap. He said that the servers rely on the tips as they don't get paid minimum wage but I countered by pointing out that the restaurant is legally obligated to ensure the servers make at least minimum wage should their tips not amount to it. He insisted that wasn't the case but I confirmed it on my own later on. He also said that being a server is an extremely stressful job and even if the service is not ideal the customer should tip because of this I said that should a server consistently fail to earn a tip its a sign that the individual just isn;t good at his/her job and maybe they should improve or quit. He insisted that it was just an asshole move not to tip regardless of the quality of service.

Cliffs:
-I say tips should be earned, not expected
-A friend disagrees and says that given the nature of the pay and stress a customer should have to pay at least 15%

What say you Sherdog? Should waiter/waitresses be entitled to tips or should you only tip them according to the quality of their service? Am I an asshole or is he just a bit entitled?

Basic small tips to subsidize a basic wage should be expected. You should be expected to tip a minimal amount like a dollar. Does this lower incentives against poor service? Slightly, but the upward incentives of getting larger tips this exist. However, going the opposite way (not condemning refusing to tip) strongly incentivizes patrons to be cheap ass pieces of shit who we non-piece of shit patrons have to subsidize by paying higher prices.

People who sit around complaining about tipping are generally assholes.

I never in my life went out with people where this topic was pondered. You pay, tip and be on your way like every other normal person does it.

I'm sure you've had many conversations online that you haven't had in real life. Also aren't you employed in the service industry so you may have a biased opinion on the topic at hand?

Basic small tips to subsidize a basic wage should be expected. You should be expected to tip a minimal amount like a dollar. Does this lower incentives against poor service? Slightly, but the upward incentives of getting larger tips this exist. However, going the opposite way (not condemning refusing to tip) strongly incentivizes patrons to be cheap ass pieces of shit who we non-piece of shit patrons have to subsidize by paying higher prices.
This was a hell of a necrobump so see my updated thoughts here:
This is quite the necrobump and as surprising as it may seem I have actually changed my mind on tipping. I still disagree with the tip system and culture in the US but my problem is at the level of state/federal law and not the servers anymore.

In the US the federal minimum wage for tipped workers is something obscene like $2.13/hr with some states raising it a little but keeping it under the standard minimum. If a tipped worker makes less than the standard MW with tips, businesses are legally mandated to make up the difference and ensure they get at least the standard MW but putting a server in that position makes him vulnerable and so I don't think its a sufficient excuse to justify not tipping. I would only not tip if the server was exceptionally bad, namely if they were rude to me.

And so I believe that in states where tipped workers are paid under the standard MW the customer should be morally obligated to tip and to tip at a minimum of 15% and IMO a minimum of 25% if your order is very small. Sometimes I just want a coffee and a small snack and in those cases I'll tip like 50% since it only comes out to a few extra bucks.

In states that mandate tipped workers be paid the standard MW, like California, I stand by what I said about tips being earned. That also goes for many foreign countries where they don't allow tipped workers to be paid under the MW and so if I was traveling I'd have to research the tip laws and culture and act appropriately.

I'm sure you've had many conversations online that you haven't had in real life. Also aren't you employed in the service industry so you may have a biased opinion on the topic at hand?

By employees you mean I own restaurants and bars. Swing and a miss buddy.

And we pay our employees well and they get tips on top and I've never had a customer complain about anything like tipping. Never. And I've been doing this for many many years in one way shape or form.

Like I said assholes and weird socially awkward losers discuss their frustrations at tipping.

But if you are in the business and want good tips you still have to do good work for them. Good service is important and if you're a shit server or bartender don't complain when you get stiffed.

By employees you mean I own restaurants and bars. Swing and a miss buddy.

And we pay our employees well and they get tips on top and I've never had a customer complain about anything like tipping. Never. And I've been doing this for many many years in one way shape or form.

Like I said assholes and weird socially awkward losers discuss their frustrations at tipping.

But if you are in the business and want good tips you still have to do good work for them. Good service is important and if you're a shit server or bartender don't complain when you get stiffed.

I'm not sure why you are so defensive, owning restaurants and bars is still working in the industry, unless you are for some reason embarrassed with the association.

In an earlier post of mine, I didn't complain about tipping I asked what is a fair wage for a server if we eliminate tips. You being in the industry, would have more inside knowledge about this than me, so give me a figure that you would have to pay your front line workers if there was no tipping, meaning that food and wages would then have to go up.

I agree about hard work and not complaining when you get stiffed.

I'm not sure why you are so defensive, owning restaurants and bars is still working in the industry, unless you are for some reason embarrassed with the association.

In an earlier post of mine, I didn't complain about tipping I asked what is a fair wage for a server if we eliminate tips. You being in the industry, would have more inside knowledge about this than me, so give me a figure that you would have to pay your front line workers if there was no tipping, meaning that food and wages would then have to go up.

I agree about hard work and not complaining when you get stiffed.

Food prices would go up and this is soemthing I'd have to sit down and figure out. I can't just shoot a number off the top of my head and that's the answer.

don't act like it's some cultural industry standard to fuck with people's food and you are somehow justified in doing it or following some norm. I've been a line cook, never happened anywhere I worked.

you need to look at yourself in the mirror, bud. Ain't a customer's fault your life is shit.

You were a cook. Literally on the line where there are cameras. No you didn't fuck with anything

Lol you are crazy. I don't think you know the difference between right and wrong.

Back