Today in MMA History: Affliction Banned event, UFC Counter Programs With Anderson vs Irvin

Dozer .

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

2AA47433-0874-41EA-BD1D-F8B1D07649B5.jpeg

8CD2B909-5D93-482B-8100-BC92C6C2C7FA.jpeg

July 19, 2008

It’s been 10 years guys...

Wonder what The Sandman is up to these days.

That Affliction banned card still kicks the shit out of UFC cards to this day.

Fedor, Arlovski, Rothwell, Barnett, Rizzo, Babalu, Lindland, Vitor, Big Nog.

Two of the best to ever do it.

#hespect

Wonder what The Sandman is up to these days.
IZrAvHZ7.jpeg

Dunno about James Irvin but im sure The Sandman is still drinking beer and dodging child support checks.

It’s been 10 years guys...

Why you gotta make me feel old man?

That was a great night to be an MMA fan.

The affliction card was STACKED: Fedor vs Tim Sylvia
Arlovski vs Ben Rothwell
Barnett vs Rizzo

Plus Babalu, Lindland and Vitor on the PRELIMS!!

Masterful performances by Fedor and Anderson that night, both looked like gods toying with mortals.

Man what a great night that was... For what it's worth btw 90% of the chatter here and other places was about Affliction.. Dana & co put the Anderson vs random can fight on strictly because they were not happy about how much buzz Fedor was getting.

This fight felt like such a big deal, everyone knew Affliction would burn fast though after this event. The show had lots of production issues, was kinda a disaster, but it was great. Fedor wrecking Tim in 36 seconds just was the cap to it all.

I really miss this era of MMA, there was still a wild west element to it and random companies popping up spending millions for 1 or 2 events, then disappearing. It was refreshing and shook things up

Fuck I remember the lead up to the big Tim and Fedor fight. People on here were talking about how Fedor couldn’t run away anymore and it was time to fight legit competition , then Fedor straight up mauls Timmy lol.

The revisionist history is funny also, at the time 50% of people were picking Tim to beat Fedor. Yeah, Tim had just lost to Nog but he was beating his ass on the feet, and some people thought Tim was just too big/strong for Fedor. Fedor was finally going to face the "UFC killers" he had been hiding from (Tim & AA) during Affliction...

We saw what happened there.

In 2018 tho, people will tell you they were cans, and not world champions (in AA's case one who left the UFC on his own volition and was on a long win streak when he faced Fedor)

I know this is from the 2nd Affliction show but every time I think of them I think of this KO. Terrifying. I thought Lindland was seriously hurt.

giphy.gif

Why you gotta make me feel old man?

That was a great night to be an MMA fan.

The affliction card was STACKED: Fedor vs Tim Sylvia
Arlovski vs Ben Rothwell
Barnett vs Rizzo

Plus Babalu, Lindland and Vitor on the PRELIMS!!

Masterful performances by Fedor and Anderson that night, both looked like gods toying with mortals.
That was a great night for me. I was at a party where the 1st girl I plowed was at and that’s when I planted the seed haha

I really miss this era of MMA, there was still a wild west element to it and random companies popping up spending millions for 1 or 2 events, then disappearing. It was refreshing and shook things up

Me too!

Affliction almost seemed like they were going to be a "heavyweight" org for a minute there.

Plus

Strikeforce
WEC
EliteXC
Dream
Superbrawl/Icon
(who else ordered the DVDs off their corny "Girls gone wild" style late night add? I know I'm not the only one... af there were some great fights in that org.)

That was a great era to be a fan, lots of discussion on here about how non UFC guys like Arona and Aoki would do if they fought UFC guys, people were saying Lindland would beat Anderson, or arguing that another org had a better top 5 or top ten than UFC at certain weight classes.

That Affliction banned card still kicks the shit out of UFC cards to this day.

Fedor, Arlovski, Rothwell, Barnett, Rizzo, Babalu, Lindland, Vitor, Big Nog.

It was Lil Nog, Big Nog was UFC HW champ at this time (since Randy left and was trying to fight Fedor). Randy actually came into the ring after Fedor won and respectfully challenged him.

Aleks was supposed to fight on this show, but then the Hepatitis thing came up. So, he was left to just wander the stands and take photos with fans. Also, he had some kind of confrontation with Andrei and Josh Barnett if I remember correctly.

I was there live, a fucking great show. Vitor fucked Terry Martin up. And Arlovski's flying knee on Rothwell! I miss those days so much when the UFC didn't have the strangle hold they have now.

Me too!

Affliction almost seemed like they were going to be a "heavyweight" org for a minute there.

Plus

Strikeforce
WEC
EliteXC
Dream
Superbrawl/Icon
(who else ordered the DVDs off their corny "Girls gone wild" style late night add? I know I'm not the only one... af there were some great fights in that org.)

That was a great era to be a fan, lots of discussion on here about how non UFC guys like Arona and Aoki would do if they fought UFC guys, people were saying Lindland would beat Anderson, or arguing that another org had a better top 5 or top ten than UFC at certain weight classes.

Indeed bro. The fallout between PRIDE collapsing and the UFC picking up the pieces was a fun and interesting time in the sports history. I still love MMA, still watch every event and am glad most top guys are under one roof now. But I will always miss this time in the sport. It felt different, exciting. I consider it the third "wave" of MMA

1st wave was early NHB
2nd wave was early late 90s/early 2000s, with the emergence of PRIDE and the cross training hybrid becoming "the way to do it" so to speak
3rd wave was this, post PRIDE and TUF, fighters and random orgs scattered all over
now we are in the 4th (maybe even 5th) wave, the entertainment/$$$ fights era.

It's definitely different. We still get amazing fights though.

And Barnett has only pissed hot once* since.

(Was cleared by USADA the second time)
'Cleared by USADA' in 2018 is akin to saying "WME GUNNA WME".

Jones will be let off, tho he has no excuse, not even a dirty supplement. Just watch.

Last edited:
I will never forget the commentary after Fedor won:

"Thirty six seconds! Thirty six seconds! You wanna know why they call him the Muhammad Ali, the Wayne Gretzky of this sport? That is why!".. I think it was Jay Glazer who said it. Maybe Jimmy Smith. It's been a long time since I've watched the fight. One of my fave nights ever in MMA history though. Downloaded the UFC later that night and avoided spoilers to see Anderson wreck Irvin at 205.

Back