Tom Clancy's THE DIVISION Starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Jessica Chastain (Gets John Wick Co-Director)

If they want to make games into movie how about Half Life and Fallout.

Update: April 19, 2018

DEADPOOL 2 and JOHN WICK Helmer David Letich to Direct Ubisoft's THE DIVISION

lk1Q7a2.jpg

Deadpool 2 director David Leitch is getting into the video game business. The filmmaker will helm The Division, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. The film is an adaptation of the Ubisoft game and is to star Jessica Chastain and Jake Gyllenhaal. Previously, Stephen Gaghan was attached to direct.

The third-person shooter is set in dystopian New York City after a smallpox pandemic. The player is an agent of the Strategic Homeland Division (The Division) and searches for the cause of the outbreak. Following the game's release in 2016, Ubisoft declared the online-only title broke the studio's record for highest number of first-day sales. It has generated over $300 million globally and has reached 20 million users. A sequel game is in development, with plans to be unveiled at E3.

Here's the films official logline: "In the near future, a pandemic virus is spread via paper money on Black Friday, decimating the city of New York and killing millions. By Christmas, what’s left of society has descended into chaos. A group of civilians, trained to operate in catastrophic times, are activated in an attempt to save who and what remains."

Producers are Kelly McCormick Leitch of 8711, Gyllenhaal and Riva Marker of Nine Stories and Chastain and Kelly Carmichael of Freckle Films, alongside Ubisoft Motion Pictures.

Leitch's Deadpool 2 opens May 18, and he is also set to direct next year's Fast and Furious spinoff Hobbs & Shaw, starring Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham.

Leitch, known for his impressive action sequences, helmed last year's Atomic Blonde with Charlize Theron and began his career as a stunt coordinator and second unit director, breaking through with partner Chad Stahelski on their directorial debut John Wick in 2014.

'Deadpool 2' Director David Leitch to Helm Jake Gyllenhaal and Jessica Chastain in Ubisoft's 'The Division'

This shit was announced over two years ago and just they've just now selected a director?

Jake Gyllenhaal to Produce and Star in Ubisoft's THE DIVISION Movie

WzI04Me.jpg

Following record-breaking sales, Ubisoft is already developing a movie based on its video game Tom Clancy’s the Division, and now looks to have an A-list star to lead the film.

Sources tell Variety that Jake Gyllenhaal is attached to star in the pic based on the hit video game that has already become Ubisoft’s fastest-selling product.

Gyllenhaal is also attached as a producer, and the studio is currently looking for a writer to pen the adaptation. Ubisoft could not be reached for comment.

The third-person shooter is set in a dystopian New York City in the aftermath of a smallpox pandemic. The player, who is an agent of the Strategic Homeland Division, commonly referred to as simply “The Division,” is tasked with helping to rebuild the Division’s operations in Manhattan, investigating the nature of the outbreak and combating criminal activity in its wake.

Early reports had the game reaching $330 million dollars in sales in just five days, and that number has surely grown in recent weeks. Ubisoft will package the project, possibly adding one more actor to the mix before taking it out to studios. It currently has Assassin’s Creed starring Michael Fassbender in post-production at Fox and New Regency as well as Splinter Cell starring Tom Hardy at Paramount.

Jake Gyllenhaal to Star in Ubisoft’s ‘The Division’ Movie (Exclusive)

Haven't played the game but Jake Gyllenhall is one of my favorite actors around. He doesn't fit a lot of roles though and because I haven't played the game I'm not sure how this is going to work. Seems like an odd fit based on that little blurb but I could be wrong.

This shit was announced over two years ago and just they've just now selected a director?

That's Hollywood dude that shit happens all the time. Like someone said though there already was a director. Maybe there was creative differences between him and the studio or something.

I loved the lore and story of the division. The campaign was totally awesome. I actually bought the season pass 1/2 way through because I was having so much fun, then hit the end game and never played again. Didn't even touch the DLC.

I think it could make a great movie. I hope there is a scene where he shoots a guy 100 times lol.

The game was awesome and my boy JG is awesome. I’m in.

Haven't played the game but Jake Gyllenhall is one of my favorite actors around. He doesn't fit a lot of roles though and because I haven't played the game I'm not sure how this is going to work. Seems like an odd fit based on that little blurb but I could be wrong.

I like the idea as the entire point of Division is that anyone could be a member, from your neighbor the computer tech to the semi-crazy mechanic you swear is tweaking out half the time. They were supposed to blend in to the populous as a last line of defense when shit hits the fan. And Jake looks like a guy who could blend into a crowd with ease.

I like the idea as the entire point of Division is that anyone could be a member, from your neighbor the computer tech to the semi-crazy mechanic you swear is tweaking out half the time. They were supposed to blend in to the populous as a last line of defense when shit hits the fan. And Jake looks like a guy who could blend into a crowd with ease.

Now that makes sense. I dont see him as the soldier type although he's been in roles like that but this makes more sense.

Fucking Tom Clancy. He's one of those authors whose books I've seen thousands of times but never managed to read, and considering his volume of work I'm surprised there aren't more adaptations of most of his novels.

The Division isn't based on any of his books. Ubisoft just bought his name and attaches it to any military shooter they produce.

Back