TOMB RAIDER Reboot (49% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

If you have seen TOMB RAIDER (2018), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Why is a superhero film in its fifth week of release beating out a new film that's based on a popular property and starring an Oscar winner?

Try phrasing it like this:

"Why is a greatly received movie from a studio that can do no wrong right now beating out a reboot nobody asked for about an old videogame?"

....and you'll have your answer.

It's a 6.5/10 for me. The story was rather dull tbh, but I really liked the direction they went with Lara. The way they portrayed her was definitely ideal, and Vikander fit the role very well.

I fucking loved it.

The story was fairly generic Hollywod stuff, but Alicia was just awesome, 100x better than Jolie, and actually did most of her own stunts, unlike Jolie who claimed to and did almost none.

Can't wait for the second one.

100x better than Jolie. . .

I liked Alicia just fine in this one and felt like she gave it her all, but she lacked the charisma of Angelina.

. . . and actually did most of her own stunts, unlike Jolie who claimed to and did almost none.

Do you have any kind of source for this, because I have always heard that Jolie did a good portion of her own stunts.

Not sure I'll both to see it at the cinema but it does seem like one of those cases were people had made up their minds well before release simply because as said it wasn't something many people wanted to see.

I do have some sympathy with actresses in action roles when it comes to using stunt doubles more though. Typically to get over the natural size/power disadvantage of fighting men the characters tend to be asked to do a lot more athletic stuff, look at the difference between say Black Widow and Captain America, the latter mostly very down to earth stuff whilst the former is pulling off crazy kicks/jumps.

Last edited:
It felt like fast and the furious on an island. I cant handle that over the top fake shit.

This makes me question if you even saw the movie. They did a great job on not going over the top. The only over the top/non-realistic moment in the movie was her climbing up after her long jump in the tomb, and that was even mild compared to the nonsense we saw from the previous TR films.

The way they portrayed her combat/fighting skills was very realistic. That fight scene with the tracker was great and felt brutally real. Her skill with the bow was also done well. She wasn't hitting crazy long distance shots (they even showed her missing her long shot attempt) and she only took out a few guys. Hell, Lara from the first TR movie took out more bad guys in one scene (took out some while armed with just a knife and swinging from a rope dodging machine gun fire) than this Lara did in the entire movie.

In terms of the action, the boat scene and river escape scene were also very well done. They stayed as close to the source material as possible while making minor changes to give it more realism. Not sure how they could of done those two scenes differently.

Overall, this movie was less over the top than any movie like it. The two previous TR movies and even all the Indiana Jones movies were more over the top than this.

Last edited:
This makes me question if you even saw the movie. They did a great job on not going over the top. The only over the top/non-realistic moment in the movie was her climbing up after her long jump in the tomb, and that was even mild compared to the nonsense we saw from the previous TR films.

The way they portrayed her combat/fighting skills was very realistic. That fight scene with the tracker was great and felt brutally real. Her skill with the bow was also done well. She wasn't hitting crazy long distance shots (they even showed her missing her long shot attempt) and she only took out a few guys. Hell, Lara from the first TR movie took out more bad guys in one scene (took out some while armed with just a knife and swinging from a rope dodging machine gun fire) than this Lara did in the entire movie.

In terms of the action, the boat scene and river escape scene were also very well done. They stayed as close to the source material as possible while making minor changes to give it more realism. Not sure how they could of done those two scenes differently.

Overall, this movie was less over the top than any movie like it. The two previous TR movies and even all the Indiana Jones movies were more over the top than this.

Hahaha are you fucking kidding me. He little fall through the airplane hitting everything on the way down and getting a parachute and pulling the string while just holding it is not over the top? This movie was utterly rediculous and was way over the top. There was never any sense of danger and tomb raider is the vid diesel of this film. Way over the top.

The fucking boat scene was so over the top and unrealistic it was crazy. you would have to suspend all rationality to even buy that shit.

you can like it but be real

Hahaha are you fucking kidding me. He little fall through the airplane hitting everything on the way down and getting a parachute and pulling the string while just holding it is not over the top? This movie was utterly rediculous and was way over the top. There was never any sense of danger and tomb raider is the vid diesel of this film. Way over the top.

The fucking boat scene was so over the top and unrealistic it was crazy. you would have to suspend all rationality to even buy that shit.

you can like it but be real

I can't tell if you're trolling me or not. Have you not even seen the source material here? The boat scene was basically identical except in the movie she just jumped off the ship into the water (which was way more realistic than the game). Ship was hitting rocks and she jumped off before it completely broke apart. It definitely wasn't over the top to the point of being ridiculous.

The river escape to the plane was also almost identical to the game, except in the game she was shooting debris in the river with a gun to get through it, and she had time to put the parachute on. There has to be some wow factor, but you're acting as if what she's doing is some insane supernatural shit which bends the concept of reality. That parachute scene was crazy, but it was actually tame compared to most action movies.

What action movies are more realistic? The old Die Hard movies? Mission Impossible movies? The Transporter films? John Wick 1 or 2? The Bourne movies? Or maybe the Bond films? Now those all have scenes way more ridiculous than this film, and this shit is based on a video game.

vs

Last edited:
I can't tell if you're trolling me or not. Have you not even seen the source material here? The boat scene was basically identical except in the movie she just jumped off the ship into the water (which was way more realistic than the game). Ship was hitting rocks and she jumped off before it completely broke apart. It definitely wasn't over the top to the point of being ridiculous.

The river escape to the plane was also almost identical to the game, except in the game she was shooting debris in the river with a gun to get through it, and she had time to put the parachute on. There has to be some wow factor, but you're acting as if what she's doing is some insane supernatural shit which bends the concept of reality. That parachute scene was crazy, but it was actually tame compared to most action movies.

What action movies are more realistic? The old Die Hard movies? Mission Impossible movies? The Transporter films? John Wick 1 or 2? The Bourne movies? Or maybe the Bond films? Now those all have scenes way more ridiculous than this film, and this shit is based on a video game.

vs

I am not trolling at all and what you are saying now has no basis on what we are talking about.

thats cool that they copied the game but that doesnt mean that its not over the top which it clearly fucking is. Not even in the slightest is there realism in this film.

The game is over the top too but its a game, Im playing it. Theres a difference between games and movies...are you trolling me?

If i watch a Grand theft auto movie am i going to say how realistic it is because the movie shows him jack 50 cars and kill hundreds of people while being shot and healing himself with medi packs?

come on buddy the movie was way over the top, sorry you cant see that

Really not sure how saying a movie is copying the game is helping your argument

Why is a superhero film in its fifth week of release beating out a new film that's based on a popular property and starring an Oscar winner?
Because the girl playing Lara Croft doesn't have big boobs.

Literally no one was clamoring for this reboot.

Not sure I was "clamoring" for it, especially since I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since about 1998, but I am always down for a fun adventure film so this one was one of my most anticipated films of the year.

Adventure genre enthusiasts such as myself are woefully underserved.

Like I said I thought it was pretty good

I don't think anybody asked specifically for a new Tomb Raider movie but people have been asking for more leading roles for women

Not sure I was "clamoring" for it, especially since I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since about 1998, but I am always down for a fun adventure film so this one was one of my most anticipated films of the year.

Adventure genre enthusiasts such as myself are woefully underserved.
To each their own, but from where I'm sitting it always looked like generic PG-13 drivel that offers nothing new.

A bigger boobed Laura Croft with an R rating would have garnered more interest imo.

I highly doubt this reboot gets a sequel either.

I don't think anybody asked specifically for a new Tomb Raider movie but people have been asking for more leading roles for women
I find it hard to believe the average man or woman would go out of their way to see a movie like Tomb Raider just because of "Girl power."

Because the girl playing Lara Croft doesn't have big boobs.

I'd take Alicia over that stick figure with boltons who starred in the first two TR movies.

No need this is what she actually looks like.

ex%20machina.jpg

1280_alicia_vikander_instar_ed2dffcf441_EMBED.jpg

I find it hard to believe the average woman would go out of her way to see a movie like Tomb Raider just becuase of "Girl power."

I don't get the obsession some people have with an R-rating, like slapping an R-rating on a film and upping the violence always makes for a better movie.

Would Indiana Jones have been better with an R-rating? What about The Mummy with Brendan Fraser?

Back