Tonight Show Host Jimmy Fallon Says Making Fun Of Trump Is 'Just Not What I Do'

This is pretty much it. I was never a fan of Colbert on Comedy Central, but he's been hilarious since coming to CBS in a move that was uncharacteristically bold for CBS given that they usually go with super safe programming that is devoid of substance or edge (Two Broke Girls, Big Bang Theory, NCIS, etc.).

However, Fallon just isn't funny. He seems like a really nice kid: he really does. But he's not funny.

Still funnier than Leno, though. I honestly never understood why people liked Jay Leno. Ted Cruz is funnier than Jay Leno.

I know a lot of ppl preferred letterman to Leno, but I could never understand why?

Letterman was just annoying n his way of interviewing was all over the place

Leno on the other hand was more levelled. He had his safe comedy routine n had a more respectful/friendly relation with his guests (without ass kissing ala fellon)

I know a lot of ppl preferred letterman to Leno, but I could never understand why?

Leno on the other hand was more levelled. He had his safe comedy routine n had a more respectful/friendly relation with his guests (without ass kissing ala fellon)

I would actually agree that Leno was a better/more disciplined interviewer.

But as a comedian Leno was terrible. Letterman was much funnier, albeit still not that funny. The only time I ever thought Leno was funny is when he had Terry Bradshaw on the show. They had a pretty good dynamic.

Late night network hosts of my lifetime imo:

1. Craig Ferguson
2. Conan O'Brien
3. Stephen Colbert
4. Jimmy Kimmel
5. Letterman
6. Fallon
7. Leno

It always surprises me that people were into Craig Ferguson. I used to watch a fair amount of the late night shows, and never once did his show make it into my regular viewing.

I say this as having enjoyed him on the Drew Carey show, and enjoying the (limited) exposure I've had to his standup.

I also never got what people enjoyed about Letterman, either. He was incredibly dry, and it seemed like his humour was guided at a helluva lot older audience than myself. I took enjoyment in watching it for how cheesy it was.

Always enjoyed Conan. How did Kimmel suddenly rise to be a prominent voice of the mainstream, when he was often overlooked and dismissed by the mainest-of-mainstream not all that long ago? I mean, I thought it was commonly considered that nobody really took him all that serious because of his time on The Man Show. How has some of the content from that show not been used against him?

Coming from the right,

The biggest difference, is John Stewart was actually funny. His comedic timing was damn near perfect. He also happened to do his thing at the absolute perfect time, politically speaking.

The rest of these folks are second rate, at best.

PS, at least back in the day, Conan was funny as fuck.

Apparently according to this Huff Po article he is in danger of falling to third in terms fo ratings, apparently Huff Po believes with that statement that if he wants to gain ratings he needs to hop on the wagon and bash trump like Kimmel and Colbert.

Why not start making attacks on Weinstein since it effect their industry and hits closer to home?

Fallon already said he isn't political and does not really care about politics and rather focus on pop culture, yet its like they are looking at him as if he is not normal for not following every hollywood liberal and bashing trump

Jimmy Fallon Says Making Fun Of Trump Is 'Just Not What I Do'

In the ratings battle between the late night hosts, Jimmy Fallon is currently in danger of slipping to third place behind Jimmy Kimmel. Fallon already lost claim to the top ratings spot to Stephen Colbert earlier this year, but now a once huge lead over the other Jimmy has evaporated to just a few hundred thousand viewers.

The dramatic downward trajectory is likely due to Fallon’s decision to refrain from having hard-hitting segments about President Donald Trump’s administration, while Colbert and Kimmel have had massive success doing just that.

Amid the ratings drop (and to promote Fallon’s new children’s book, Everything Is Mama), fellow NBC show “Sunday Today” will have Fallon on for an interview about “The Tonight Show” this weekend. As a teaser, “Today” released a segment of the interview where host Willie Geist asks Fallon why he isn’t going after Trump.

“It’s just not what I do,” Fallon said in response. “I think it would be weird for me to start doing it now. I don’t really even care that much about politics. I’ve got to be honest. I love pop culture more than I love politics. I’m just not that brain.”

I love pop culture more than I love politics. I’m just not that brain. Jimmy Fallon
Critics have branded Fallon as being too soft for these times ever since he had Trump on as a guest back during the current president’s candidacy. In that interview, Fallon infamously ruffled Trump’s hair.

Geist asked if Fallon should pivot in the direction that other late night hosts have and start presenting a stronger reaction to this presidency.

“No, I mean, I think the other guys are doing it very well,” Fallon said. “Colbert’s doing great, I mean that’s what he’s good at. He’s always into like a political comedy. I think when it’s organic, I’ll dip into it as well.”

Fallon pointed out that he made “thousands of jokes” about Obama, but that the bleakness of Trump’s presidency makes it hard for him to find the funny side.

“With Trump, it’s just like every day’s a new thing he gives uh, you know, a lot of material,” Fallon said. “A lot of stuff is hard to even make a joke about because it’s just too serious.”

• This article originally appeared on HuffPost.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/jimmy-fallon-says-making-fun-133404775.html

Good comedians realize that going for the easy, obvious laugh is cheap, shitty, amateur comedy. The critics are just political hacks trying to bully others into serving their cause.

I find it interesting that Kimmell went all in on the political thing at the same relative time other Disney brands were doing the same; Marvel, Star Wars (not as blatant in the product, but the writers of TFA and Rogue One outed themselves), Modern Family stunt cast a transexual/gender-child, ESPN went all political, etc. There seems to be too much synergy for coincidence.
Unfortunately some of this sort of anti-Trump thing crept on to Conan with guests and jokes that just wear thin, but TBS is part of a family of channels that includes CNN, so there may have been some pressure there. I don't mind jokes about the guy as long as it's not all the time, just inundated with the stuff. Conan's jokes on Late Night about Clinton and Bush Jr. were pretty light and never took up too much time. The Clutch Cargo segments with Clinton as some sort of lecherous cowboy were hilarious and never were mean spirited, and they could easily do the same thing with Trump without it seeming like a pile on of negativity. I want to watch comedy shows to get away from all this negativity going on in politics, media, the entertainment business, and society, not be reminded of it; so in that case I'm glad Fallon isn't joining in just for ratings' sake.

A lot of people remember Letterman from his stint on Late Night as well as his CBS show up until around 2000 or so. After his heart surgery he wasn't the same for a long time. Just before it or maybe right after he stopped doing the Rupert Jee segments where he'd talk into his ear piece and make Rupert say/do goofy things in public, and a lot of the other signature edgier segments left the show around that time as well.

Thank god he keeps his mouth shut bc the issues are so serious. Must be a blast to watch him laugh at his own jokes. This tool was never funny, never pushed any comedic envelopes, never was anything but a space filler. May he continue his noble pursuit.

For late shows, it started with Stephen Colbert, but he's been doing it for years. Jimmy Kimmel jumped on that bandwagon since Trump got elected. They're both going hard at it. It's been a trend in the entertainment industry for years now, celebrities thinking they're the moral compass for society when they're some of the most morally bankrupt individuals. I care about the political stance of celebrities as much as I care about financial advice from homeless junkies.

They should learn from the GOAT:

NINTCHDBPICT000239998775-960x656.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000239997934-269x300.jpg

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowb...n-for-fbi-badge-to-let-him-carry-drugs-guns/#

It always surprises me that people were into Craig Ferguson. I used to watch a fair amount of the late night shows, and never once did his show make it into my regular viewing.

I say this as having enjoyed him on the Drew Carey show, and enjoying the (limited) exposure I've had to his standup.

Personally I thought he was the best, because most of his show was improvised. While it was in practice less funny (as he didn't have 15 writers tailoring everything he said, making sketches for him, making jokes for him for his interviews), everything he said was just funnier because you knew it was mostly improvised.

Also he was great at flirting with women. All the other hosts' interviews with women are always usually boring, some dumb story without any funny commentary. But Ferguson usually brought the interview to life.

Honestly none of them are funny. I liked Letterman back in the day - even though he rarely ripped Obama and I'm sure he'd have a field day with Trump if he was on today but it would be clever and amusing. Even though I find Oliver's politics and loud voice annoying, he can be quite funny and Conan can be a nice distraction but for the most part there is just no subtlety and charm these days for night time comedy hosts.

The South African dude who's name escapes me is simply abbhorent.

I also never got what people enjoyed about Letterman, either. He was incredibly dry, and it seemed like his humour was guided at a helluva lot older audience than myself. I took enjoyment in watching it for how cheesy it was.

Always enjoyed Conan. How did Kimmel suddenly rise to be a prominent voice of the mainstream, when he was often overlooked and dismissed by the mainest-of-mainstream not all that long ago? I mean, I thought it was commonly considered that nobody really took him all that serious because of his time on The Man Show. How has some of the content from that show not been used against him?
It did this week, have you seen the clips of him getting women to feel around his dick area and to tell him what they think it is.

Trump or no Trump, Fallon just kind of sucks. I applaud him going a little against the grain though. But yeah, he's just not that great of a host, which is probably the main reason he's not doing as well as some think he should.
Fallon is basically the odd man out, Kimmel used to be awesome but then he was able to become friends with A listers like Damon and Jennifer Aniston and he got in with the popular click at school basically and is now like them and endorses their politics too.

Fallon doesn't have many Hollywood pals and he doesn't attend their political functions or push their politics. when you dont follow the crowd you tend to get left out. Hollywood is like high school pretty much.

I don't watch late night tv and I don't think Jimmy is particularly funny, but he is living the dream. He is a talented cat with lots of friends in the tv, movie, and music industries so his interactions (the ones I see on YouTube) seem to be genuinely fun for everybody involved. Definitely better than Kimmel, Myers, and the mainstream version of Corbert.

Personally I thought he was the best, because most of his show was improvised. While it was in practice less funny (as he didn't have 15 writers tailoring everything he said, making sketches for him, making jokes for him for his interviews), everything he said was just funnier because you knew it was mostly improvised.

Also he was great at flirting with women. All the other hosts' interviews with women are always usually boring, some dumb story without any funny commentary. But Ferguson usually brought the interview to life.
That's a fair point about the writers/etc. I'll always respect that. I hadn't thought of his interviews all that much, but now that you've mentioned it, I think I used to enjoy them. He usually had on lesser known guests too, which could be good/bad depending on who it was. I guess in the end it's all just your style of humour and that's why there's so many.

It did this week, have you seen the clips of him getting women to feel around his dick area and to tell him what they think it is.
I did see that, yeah. It wasn't a major talking point anywhere that I saw/heard though. I used to watch (and enjoy) The Man Show, I'm not going to judge him for it. Just painfully hypocritical and obvious, which makes it some sort of terrible cringe-fest all around.

Fallon is basically the odd man out, Kimmel used to be awesome but then he was able to become friends with A listers like Damon and Jennifer Aniston and he got in with the popular click at school basically and is now like them and endorses their politics too.

Fallon doesn't have many Hollywood pals and he doesn't attend their political functions or push their politics. when you dont follow the crowd you tend to get left out. Hollywood is like high school pretty much.
That's basically the answer I was looking for from my post earlier. Kimmel made the right friends and found his way in, like you said. I remember Kimmel all the way back from hosting Win Ben Stein's Money, and it just seems so strange how, for lack of a better term, "legitimized" he's become nowadays.

For late shows, it started with Stephen Colbert, but he's been doing it for years. Jimmy Kimmel jumped on that bandwagon since Trump got elected. They're both going hard at it. It's been a trend in the entertainment industry for years now, celebrities thinking they're the moral compass for society when they're some of the most morally bankrupt individuals. I care about the political stance of celebrities as much as I care about financial advice from homeless junkies.

They should learn from the GOAT:

Politicians are worse than celebrities when it comes to ANYONE in regards to morals.

I expect celebrities to be immoral. Celebrities are just average people who got rich. Money makes people do shit they never thought they would do.

All the late-night talk folks go the political route. Having Fallon do it will just be another drop in the bucket.

His plan is to simply stand out from his colleagues.

I guess he can be a respite for those that want a break from political commentary on TV.

If I remember correctly, NBC signed him on NOT because they wanted to win the ratings "war" of the 11:35 television audience. Rather, they knew that his skits were more viral in nature in that people would share them on social media the following day.

Seems to me that Fallon is about the only person that is not giving Trump the very thing that he craves for, which is attention.

I think Jimmy is funny but he's not a stand up type of funny he's a skit show funny. Letterman and Leno made fun of the president but I felt with respect and class, these guys are unglued like they are on the campaign trail and almost reciting MSNBC talking points. I don't mind a good joke if Trump does something stupid which is a lot but don't use that to make political ground like equating Trump to Hitler. The majority are not buying that, This one sided bashing won't end up good in the long run IMO. Imagine if late night host were this venomous to Obama people would cry racism and sponsors would pull ads and they would be a extending hand of FOXNEWS. Always try to think if the shoe was on the other foot.

Apparently according to this Huff Po article he is in danger of falling to third in terms fo ratings, apparently Huff Po believes with that statement that if he wants to gain ratings he needs to hop on the wagon and bash trump like Kimmel and Colbert.

Why not start making attacks on Weinstein since it effect their industry and hits closer to home?
Why do you guys always bring in these stupid false equivalencies?
Trump is the POTUS. Weinstein is a Hollywood producer that most Americans barely know anything about. There is no comparison to be made.
OF COURSE the POTUS, especially one as vocal as Trump, is going to get a shit ton of media coverage and jokes done on him. How is this surprising?
If you say something crazy, if you lie, say something dumb or abrasive ....all things that Trump does on a regular basis..people are going to comment.
Who the fuck cares about Harvey Weinstein? He has no effect on the average American's life, which is why no one cares to joke about him.

That being said, Im fine with Jimmy doing what he does. Politics and serious talk isn't his thing, and it would be weird if he started doing it. He likely takes hits on the ratings for it though. Like it or not, people care about politics...because it isn't just "politics". Health care, gun control, war, these things effect our daily lives. If there's a chance a guy you like/listen to will have something to say about something you care about then it's not surprising when people tune in more to that guy

Back