Tony ferguson talks about his beginning in mma and his skillset

But he gets woobled and bloodied up in every single one of his fights...

Really? Only times he's truly been hurt during his win streak are vs Lando and Pettis (and he instantly recovered in both). Getting knocked down for half a second on a balance shot or trading some strikes when you KNOW you will win the war of attrition isn't getting "wobbled".

What he does isn't some mistake. It's by design and he's telling you as much.

As much as he gets dropped and rocked his facial expression stays completely composed while doing it

Again, he's been truly "rocked" twice during roughly his last 15 fights LOL. And those were the only real knockdowns too (if you don't count balance shots where he clearly wasn't even stung like vs Lee-those happen all the time in MMA and are inconsequential).

This narrative that Tony is always in trouble and pulling out come from behind wins where he's hurt is a fairly tale. Yes he forces some wars of attrition (vs Barboza a good example) where he lands but also gets hit, but as he's explained that's not by mistake.

As much as he gets dropped and rocked his facial expression stays completely composed while doing it
This. I never get the impression tonys in actual danger no matter how bad of a position he’s in

Really? Only times he's truly been hurt during his win streak are vs Lando and Pettis (and he instantly recovered in both). Getting knocked down for half a second on a balance shot or trading some strikes when you KNOW you will win the war of attrition isn't getting "wobbled".

What he does isn't some mistake. It's by design and he's telling you as much.

By design?? Lol
Come on, he's just lucky he can take a punch well.

But you were right it was a bit of a stretched argument from myself.
Still he takes a lot of punchs and kicks and gets taken down pretty easily when opponent still fresh.

Tony FerGOATson

Fuck, I hope he smashes the everlovng shit out of Khabib...

I think his whole style of fighting is the future.

He can fight from the bottom at a top class level and up top he is so dynamic with his elbows and ability to read and counter.

People like Pettis might have BJJ to fight from the bottom but they don't have elbows and as good an eye for a counter.

By design?? Lol

Still he takes a lot of punchs and kicks and gets taken down pretty easily when opponent still fresh.

Forcing a war of attrition with constant pressure IS by design. It's not even controversial saying it. He knows he will likely have to absorb some shots by using as much forward pressure as he does. But he also knows his opponents will tire and wilt under that pressure.

By design?? Lol

I doubt he would fight like that if he didn't have the chin, cardio and recovery he has. He does have it and it forces fighters to expend a lot of energy trying to hurt and put him away.

I doubt he would fight like that if he didn't have the chin, cardio and recovery he has. He does have it and it forces fighters to expend a lot of energy trying to hurt and put him away.

Absolutely. I am having a hard time understanding why people even think this is in question. He straight up says it's what he does, and every action in his fights show it to be true.

Cardio, pace, durability, and pressure aren't random things that happen in his fights. They are all weapons to him, and he's perfected how to use them.

Forcing a war of attrition with constant pressure IS by design. It's not even controversial saying it. He knows he will likely have to absorb some shots by using as much forward pressure as he does. But he also knows his opponents will tire and wilt under that pressure.

I tend to agree guys but no matter what he has obvious defensive weaknesses.

I tend to agree guys but no matter what it shows obvious defensive weaknesses.
100% has holes in his defense but no one is able to make him pay enough for it that it matters, so far.

Sucks he has that loss to Johnson on his record. He would be on an 18 fight win streak dating back to 2009 otherwise.

Dude doesn't even get a sniff of credit on the fairytale P4P when he is arguably top5 right now, even with no belt.

100% has holes in his defense but no one is able to make him pay enough for it that it matters, so far.

Sucks he has that loss to Johnson on his record. He would be on an 18 fight win streak dating back to 2009 otherwise.

Dude doesn't even get a sniff of credit on the fairytale P4P when he is arguably top5 right now, even with no belt.

That loss to MJ had its purpose though. Yeah Tony broke his arm blocking a kick early in rd 2 but even still, that fight is likely partially responsible for him altering his style to suit his strengths more (being the all out pressure fighter he now is).

The truly great fighters use losses as springboards to getting better, and he may have done it better than anyone I can remember.

It's why the current version of Tony would wreck any version of MJ ever.

I tend to agree guys but no matter what he has obvious defensive weaknesses.

Yes but skills don't develop in a vacuum. The fact he is so durable and wants to fight the way he does likely is part of the reason for his defensive holes. Good fighters adapt their games to their strengths. If he wasn't as durable, he may have worked harder fixing his defensive flaws.

Yes but skills don't develop in a vacuum. The fact he is so durable and wants to fight the way he does likely is part of the reason for his defensive holes. Good fighters adapt their games to their strengths. If he wasn't as durable, he may have worked harder fixing his defensive flaws.

as i'm perfectly aware of that i can't argue what you're saying. i just think it's a dangerous game which won't always work in his favor.

not sure but he has that habit of almost being beaten before coming back, maybe he's not dominant enough for ppl to put him amongst the P4P greats...

as i'm perfectly aware of that i can't argue what you're saying. i just think it's a dangerous game which won't always work in his favor.

not sure but he has that habit of almost being beaten before coming back, maybe he's not dominant enough for ppl to put him amongst the P4P greats...
Cyborg being there above Tony is disguting.

The level of fighters Tony is facing absolutely blows the women Cyborg is beating out of the water. She shouldn't be anywhere near this p4p list. She doesn't even fight people in her weightclass. They just bring up smaller fighters to face her. Nothing "p4p" about that at all.

First point- I agree. His style isn't suited for a super long career going forward. Which is why it's so damn important to get this fight made with Khabib while both are in their prime.

Second point- That's just this fallacy that keeps getting repeated so people believe it. During his streak not once has he been "beaten" to where he needed some miracle comeback to win. We've already gone over his style so not gonna rehash that but all I will say is that the closest thing to him needing a "comeback" win was vs Lando after getting dropped with the head kick. And really Tony had basically recovered instantly. Even the round that Pettis knocked him down Tony was fine and attacking right after and won the round. Lee won rd 1 against him but after that it was pretty obvious Tony was going to take over.

"Dominant" I guess is subjective to a degree, but he's finishing almost everyone he fights and they are mostly highly ranked guys.

First point- I agree. His style isn't suited for a super long career going forward. Which is why it's so damn important to get this fight made with Khabib while both are in their prime.

Second point- That's just this fallacy that keeps getting repeated so people believe it. During his streak not once has he been "beaten" to where he needed some miracle comeback to win. We've already gone over his style so not gonna rehash that but all I will say is that the closest thing to him needing a "comeback" win was vs Lando after getting dropped with the head kick. And really Tony had basically recovered instantly. Even the round that Pettis knocked him down Tony was fine and attacking right after and won the round. Lee won rd 1 against him but after that it was pretty obvious Tony was going to take over.

"Dominant" I guess is subjective to a degree, but he's finishing almost everyone he fights and they are mostly highly ranked guys.

I don't agree with your second point.
There's no fallacy that keep getting repeated here, that's just what I think.
No one is denying Ferguson's achievements but he's not exactly what we're used to call p4p greats.
DC JONES KHABIB are dominant, prime SILVA & prime GSP were also. I don't feel like Ferguson deserves to be cited amongst them yet.

In the Pettis fight he didn't just got knocked down, he got rocked pretty bad. Props to him for being able to tough it out as usual and at the same time thanks to Pettis for not being able to finish the job.

No one is denying Ferguson's achievements but he's not exactly what we're used to call p4p greats.
DC JONES KHABIB are dominant, prime SILVA & prime GSP were also. I don't feel like Ferguson deserves to be cited amongst them yet.

In the Pettis fight he didn't just got knocked down, he got rocked pretty bad. Props to him for being able to tough it out as usual and at the same time thanks to Pettis for not being able to finish the job.
DC, Jones and Silva fought in weak divisions though, that has to come into consideration. A fighter of Derrick Lewis or Jimi Manuwa's skill level would never be top 5 at LW, the talent level in divisions must be taken into consideration too.

I mean, itxs subjective for sure (dominance). But in having watched every fight of Tony's in the UFC (most multiple times-but that's mostly due to the fact I bet on fights) I think I have as good a read (or better) on Tony than almost anyone. It had zero to do with Pettis. He wasn't going to finish Tony. Hell, by the time he even got there to try to follow up Tony was okay and looking for opportunities offensively. Like I said there's subjectivity for sure, but it's not some cosmic lucky streak when he's beating (and mostly FINISHING) top ranked guys.

The fallacy in my opinion is just that he's "always in trouble". I'm not saying you specifically but plenty of others here see him get tagged by Pettis and drop a round vs Lee and start spouting off about how he always gets rocked or needs to come back to win. Which is plain and simple untrue.

Back