Tony vs conor. Who got the better striking tools?

Tony never claimed to a boxer, wanted to box, or called out Floyd to box so your point is mute. He did call out Conor to defend and the fight fanz are still waiting on a reply.

d9AL6_s-200x150.gif

You misunderstand. The guy I was responding to was using the McGregor/Mayweather fight to discredit Conor. I think that is irrelevant in a discussion comparing Tony and Conor's striking. It's a different sport and Mayweather is levels beyond anyone in MMA and even many in boxing.

Even though it became clear that his main point was to discredit Conor's "legendary" power I still think it's an unfair example. Most guys in boxing, even power punchers would be whififng air or paddycaking Floyd on their best day.

I'm still not sold on the idea that he will gas against Tony. Conor never gassed at FW. Didn't look to be even remotely gassed against Alvarez.

The two times he faded was against Diaz. Both at a higher weight class against a guy who had gone the distance with Rory.

Unlike Nate however, Tony was dropped repeatedly by Lando. His chin clearly isn't at the same level.

I honestly think that while Conor has pissed off alot of people by hijacking the belt, they're going to be very disappointed when Conor annihilates Ferguson [If the little leprechaun ever returns].

If I was hoping to see Conor get mauled, I would have far greater faith in Khabib [Who unfortunately can't get his shit together] - But Tony... He's an inferior, aggressive striker with huge gaps in his defence. He'll get tagged often, likely being put down 2-3 times before the fight gets waved off in the second.

Amazing insight, nothing but facts, but it will go on deaf's ears. Conor haters don't want to hear facts, they want to hear people insulting Conor.

God Damn. Logic regarding McGregor on Sherdog are about as rare as seeing a Sasquatch in broad daylight the city.

That's because everybody wants to analyze Conor from an emotional lens, because from a statistical/technical lens they'd fail pretty hard. A recent example is how many people gloried in Max's "stats" that "proved" he was better than Conor, even though one those "stats" was that Max has had 8 knockdowns compared to Conor's 6... that is, when you look at them solely at FW. If you go for their entire UFC run however, which was what Max's stat was actually based on as Max has always been a FW unlike Conor, Conor would have 13 once you include his LW and WW stats. Which vastly beats Max's stat.

But almost nobody wanted to talk about that. The reality was irrelevant to most people.

Everybody can be the flavour of the week to beat Conor if you're not bothering to actually analyze their skills and skill matchups.

I think Tony gets hit too much, too egotistical to run a game plan, I think he comes out aggressive and gets smoked.

I think a fit Khabib beats Conor

Everybody will say that. But i kinda give the kicking and clinch game to ferguson

Also the ability to absorb a strike aka chin and durability factors greatly in overall striking ability.

Tony is off the charts for both. Conor is average.

Also the ability to absorb a strike aka chin and durability factors greatly in overall striking ability.

Tony was able so absorb strikes from very poor strikers. He can't eat McGregor's punches

When has conor ever hurt anyone with a kick? his kicks are just spinning shit that always misses

When has Tony?

Conor has better kicks and it's not even a discussion. if you havn't seen Conor utilize his kicking game outside of some spinning shit thrown at Diaz, maybe you should rewatch him.

Tony can throw a leg kick solid and that's it. Everything else he throws is awkward as hell, and about as technical as Nate Diaz's kicks. Conor can throw just about everything.

Tony's good at mixing up elbows, spinning back fists, and forearms which generally hurt him more than help him, unless it's his quick clinches where he also likes to utilize a pretty good knee from thai. That's nice, but it's more of a amateur-unpredictable style then it is a good one.

He's also not good at shooting, nor is he anything special when it comes to positioning in the clinch. Unless he can get around your neck or get on the floor there is nothing special about his grappling.

Outside of his endurance and jiu-jitsu, he doesn't really do anything great. He's really just an average all-around fighter who is really big for the division with great endurance and jiu-jitsu, that has faced the right circumstances to go on a winstreak and make people think he is unstoppable when he isn't.

Tony got dropped by Kevin Lee. Conor was never dropped in 30 minutes with Floyd. Don't you ever compare their chins again.

Yeah i know that conor got a very dangerous left punch? But who got most tools that can decide a fight?

I kinda think tony got more ways to hurt a person standing up. While conor got that crazy left punch from hell..
I give him a massive massive edge In the boxing and a decent edge In the kicking game as well over Tony.

I'd give Elbows to Tony.

I have a hard time believing you're a trained fighter, you have the analysis of a casual sherdogger.

Tony got dropped by Kevin Lee. Conor was never dropped in 30 minutes with Floyd. Don't you ever compare their chins again.

Conor got tko'ed by Floyd and was out on his feet vs Nate before the panic wrestling.

You are right. He wasn't ko'ed but he certainly doesn't eat big shots for breakfast like Hendo, BJ or Lawler.

Conor got tko'ed by Floyd and was out on his feet vs Nate before the panic wrestling.

You are right. He wasn't ko'ed but he certainly doesn't eat big shots for breakfast like Hendo, BJ or Lawler.

Dude was fighting two weight classes above and still wasn't dropped. Guy faced an actual boxer, and not just anyone, but TBE and still wasn't dropped.

There's other guys with great chins too, but nobody has a better chin than Conor. Deal with it.

Yeah i know that conor got a very dangerous left punch? But who got most tools that can decide a fight?

I kinda think tony got more ways to hurt a person standing up. While conor got that crazy left punch from hell..

I think Tony has a good stand up style against everyone except for a guy like Conor, Conor is a sniper and some of the movements Tony does as part of his flowing strike style opens him up for Conors striking cpunters and overall superior accuracy..not to say tony cant catch him totally possible but his best weapons IMO is his ground game in combination with his pace..if conor struggled to pace with Diaz ..Ferguson will be too much for sure

Conor. Tony fights weird. I hate conor. hes a fucking annoying moron, but i love the way he fights. He is the closest iv seen to Anderson Silva as far as when he fights you watch because u feel an awesome finish can come at any moment. I just wish he had been a kind humble respectful quiet individual who simply works, fights, goes home rather than what he turned out to be. My sisters loved him. Then he opened his mouth.

Tools - Ferguson, of course. His body kicks, leg kicks, front kicks, elbows, knees, takedowns.. he will drown Conor.

Dude was fighting two weight classes above and still wasn't dropped. Guy faced an actual boxer, and not just anyone, but TBE and still wasn't dropped.

There's other guys with great chins too, but nobody has a better chin than Conor. Deal with it.

Trolling me bro?
170 bout vs cabo Nate = two weight classes above?

Conor did impress me vs Floyd though. Too bad we will never see him put his improved post boxing conditioning on display vs Tony.

Trolling me bro?
170 bout vs cabo Nate = two weight classes above?

Conor did impress me vs Floyd though. Too bad we will never see him put his improved post boxing conditioning on display vs Tony.

Yes of course it does. Since when does a huge LW not having to cut weight not equal a WW?

Tony

But his defence is weak which helps Conor

Back