Top 10 Best Countries for Women to Live In

We'd still be #1 in incarceration rate and jump 2 spots to #3 in executions and crime rates would remain unaffected.

main-qimg-37ffa00f58c30898dbd87b9fccba7bc7

I am a firm believer in aiming for #1 if you are near the top of the list. You're there already so a little more effort will get you to the top!

On the list of most dangerous countries for women, everyone was upset that a largely white country had made the top 10.

Way to misrepresent what everyone was jumping on that list for.

Way to misrepresent what everyone was jumping on that list for.

I didn't mean that to respresent what people jumped on that list for.

I just meant that, if we're looking at these lists from a racial angle, as sniper was, then there's a clear presumption among many posters of white supremacy when it comes to the condition of women. Which I don't think is inaccurate.

I didn't mean that to respresent what people jumped on that list for.

I just meant that, if we're looking at these lists from a racial angle, as sniper was, then there's a clear presumption among many posters of white supremacy when it comes to the condition of women. Which I don't think is inaccurate.
Well here's a huge thing about comparing the countries on the list in this thread opposed to the other thread...

The majority of the countries on this list (if we ignore the pretty obvious racial component) had their dark ages almost 1500 years ago. An argument could be made that the countries that made up/were part of the other list (save for one which feels like it's on there just for a "suck it douchebags" moment of Twitter sensationalism) are essentially in or just leaving their version of the Dark Ages.

Remember, he said honor killings are normal in America.
Oh, my goddamn head.

Well here's a huge thing about comparing the countries on the list in this thread opposed to the other thread...

The majority of the countries on this list (if we ignore the pretty obvious racial component) had their dark ages almost 1500 years ago. An argument could be made that the countries that made up/were part of the other list (save for one which feels like it's on there just for a "suck it douchebags" moment of Twitter sensationalism) are essentially in or just leaving their version of the Dark Ages.

Oh, my goddamn head.

There are plenty of much better ways to analyze these lists, such as your historical one, than the racial perspective. I agree.

But several posters have alluded to race in this thread. It seems unavoidable.

Well if you took only the best area in each country for women, the list would probably look very different. Even some really backwards countries have pockets of crazy wealth, comfort, and opportunity.

The reason I mentioned finding and comparing a single state is due to the fact that some states match up to the countries relative to landmass, population, laws, etc. I think you could get a better 1:1 comparison that way. Just a nitpick.

There are plenty of much better ways to analyze these lists, such as your historical one, than the racial perspective. I agree.

But several posters have alluded to race in this thread. It seems unavoidable.
I think there's a better argument than race for this.

With the exceptions of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand what is one thing all those countries have in common.

They've been some form of a nation, country, or Empire since PROBABLY around the fall of the Roman Empire in some fashion.

Argument could be made the Scandinavian countries were warring tribes of Vikings but even then, those groups/clans/tribes came together for common goals in the 850s or so. Same with England when all the Saxon kingdoms came together to kick out the Great Heathen Army that the Danes had assembled. Germany is the same around the time of the Crusades the large tribes came together for a common goal.

As such, they have existe din some form of a nation-state FAR longer than almost any country in the Middle East or Africa as those were largely separate groups of people forced together post WWI/turn of the 20th Century when the nations of Europe just arbitrarily dived up the continents.

What is up with you dudes and rape? Yall know that women do things other than get raped and avoid getting raped, right?
You really think it is weird to bring up rape rates in a discussion about women's safety?

Of course women do other things. But most of those other things are less relevant to a woman's safety than the likelihood that she'll be raped.

Now as to those astronomical figures in Sweden. Some claim that it has to do with reporting, or with the definition of sexual assault in Sweden, or a spike in the rape rate due to heavy importation of military age males from patriarchal rape cultures. I think all of them sound plausible. So I have little problem believing Sweden is a very safe place for women to live, but that it is becoming less safe due to cultural changes.

Cultures that practice FGM make up a pretty small percentage of the world...

But let's look at Iran. Women there dominate the STEM fields, something the Western world has long hailed as an indicator of gender equality. That means those women have far more economic power, which means better education, standard of living, etc. This trend is similar across Asia. Economic power has also long been viewed as the chief advantage that men have over women. By what logic, then, does a country in which women work low paying jobs outrank a country with women in engineering and the sciences?

Lol at Iran.

White majority countries were the Imperial ones, largely avoided Communism outaide of Russia/Yugoslavia and/thus are the wealthiest and most developed. Poorer nations are almost universally more Patriarchy based (and potentially Theocratic also), likely to be communist and/or corrupt, and thus women dont develop as economic and academic equals

Japan wasnt colonized, but they took Korea during the industrialization process and not coincidentally those are the two most developed and women friendly countries in Asia since then....

That succintly sums up this list, the current world economic state

You really think it is weird to bring up rape rates in a discussion about women's safety?

Of course women do other things. But most of those other things are less relevant to a woman's safety than the likelihood that she'll be raped.

Now as to those astronomical figures in Sweden. Some claim that it has to do with reporting, or with the definition of sexual assault in Sweden, or a spike in the rape rate due to heavy importation of military age males from patriarchal rape cultures. I think all of them sound plausible. So I have little problem believing Sweden is a very safe place for women to live, but that it is becoming less safe due to cultural changes.

This isn't a list about women's safety, though.

I think there's a better argument than race for this.

With the exceptions of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand what is one thing all those countries have in common.

They've been some form of a nation, country, or Empire since PROBABLY around the fall of the Roman Empire in some fashion.

Argument could be made the Scandinavian countries were warring tribes of Vikings but even then, those groups/clans/tribes came together for common goals in the 850s or so. Same with England when all the Saxon kingdoms came together to kick out the Great Heathen Army that the Danes had assembled. Germany is the same around the time of the Crusades the large tribes came together for a common goal.

As such, they have existe din some form of a nation-state FAR longer than almost any country in the Middle East or Africa as those were largely separate groups of people forced together post WWI/turn of the 20th Century when the nations of Europe just arbitrarily dived up the continents.
this is correct, as my other post alluded
It's entirely a result of the Industrial Revolution occurring in what was white/Euro centric nations, and then the era of Imperialism/colonization truly began as they needed more natural resources like rubber and things that don't naturally occur. So obviously they were just pillaging those other nations, not only greatly helping their own GDP/development, but delaying and harming the host nations.

The reason Canada/Aus/US all are the shit now isn't b/c they are 'white', but the colonizers never left (and yes they were white).....everywhere else they left after WWII and the end of that era, but they had already firmly taken over (diseases didn't kill Africans and Asians the same way they did Aboriginals and Natives/First Nation tribes) here and those other places. Latin America they technically staid by mixing/creating the Mestizo class, but once the Monroe Doctrine and then Roosevelt later were around there wasn't as much influence anymore from Spain/Portugal or any outside nation barring the Panama Canal until the Soviets.
It's why S. Africa was still technically by far the most economically developed country in Africa during Apartheid (even if it sucked balls to be black there, it was better than whatever Central African Republic was called then), and Cape Verde is the richest one today as it was the last place to be decolonized (if we're not counting like Reunion and Mayotte by Madagascar as French Overseas regions or the Canary Islands which are part of Spain)

Japan wasn't colonized and thus developed on it's own and until recently dominated the entire Asian region post WWII economically (and S. Korea to a lesser extent). If China hadn't been Communist for so long it'd likely be in the same boat, i mean look at Hong Kong with it's heavy British/Capitalist influence and Macau from Portugal.

ME was dominated by the failing Ottomans until WWI, then carved up and exploited, and will likely never fully develop if they don't stop the Theocratic government common in the region.

Back