Top 5 GOATs of each weight class?

He was top 3 idiot when he lost to Chael.
I know he was temporarily in the top 5, just like he was temporarily the “champ”. But did he belong there? Not at all.

If you hang around as gatekeeper as long as Bisping did, there are going to be some high points which are well above the average standing.

JDS has wins over:

Cain
Werdum
Stipe
Mir
Hunt
Cro Cop
Carwin
Nelson
Rothwell
Struve

Compared to Cain:

JDS x2
Bigfoot x2
Brock
Nog
Rothwell
Kongo

JDS has way more impressive wins. Cain being 2-1 against JDS isn't enough to swing the huge gulf in resumes for me.

<mma4>

Good list. I'd remove Shields from WW and add Condit or Fitch, and Alvarez from LW and replace with Kawajiri.

I have included PED cheats. MW was extremely hard to rank. After Anderson there are about 10 guys who could be considered top 5. And I don't know about FLW and BW was a struggle.

HW:
Fedor
Nog
Stipe
Werdum
JDS

LHW:
Jones
Shogun
Chuck
Wanderlei
DC

MW:
Anderson
Weidman
Whitaker
Romero
Bisping

WW:
GSP
Hughes
Shields
Woodley
Lawler

LW:
BJ
Edgar
Gomi
Henderson
Alvarez

FW:
Aldo
Conor
Holloway
Faber
Edgar

BW:
Cruz
Dillashaw
Garbrandt
Torres
Barao

FLW:
MM
Benavidez
Horiguchi

I'm sure you will all agree 100% and there will be no need for discussion...

I do not agree

Khabib, Tony >>> Eddie
Condit >>> Lawler
Moose, Hendo >>> Bisping

I do not agree

Khabib, Tony >>> Eddie
Condit >>> Lawler
Moose, Hendo >>> Bisping

No real arguments there. I had Lawler over Condit as he got the nod and was an undisputed champion with defences. But the decision was controversial

I have included PED cheats. MW was extremely hard to rank. After Anderson there are about 10 guys who could be considered top 5. And I don't know about FLW and BW was a struggle.

HW:
Fedor
Nog
Stipe
Werdum
JDS

LHW:
Jones
Shogun
Chuck
Wanderlei
DC

MW:
Anderson
Weidman
Whitaker
Romero
Bisping

WW:
GSP
Hughes
Shields
Woodley
Lawler

LW:
BJ
Edgar
Gomi
Henderson
Alvarez

FW:
Aldo
Conor
Holloway
Faber
Edgar

BW:
Cruz
Dillashaw
Garbrandt
Torres
Barao

FLW:
MM
Benavidez
Horiguchi

How on Earth is Chuck above rampage? I'll never understand that one.

He just lost but as of right now vitor should easily be higher on the mw list then Whittaker and possibly Romero

Wins over franklin, rumble at mw, bisping, hendo twice, rockhold

I know he was temporarily in the top 5, just like he was temporarily the “champ”. But did he belong there? Not at all.

If you hang around as gatekeeper as long as Bisping did, there are going to be some high points which are well above the average standing.
He was always top 10 even if Sherdog didn't always put him there. To be that good for a decade in that division is historically great. The loss to Rashad could have gone either way.

Jds has the better wins and became a champion, unlike Crocop.

Mirko won a grand prix that was tailor made for him once Fedor dropped out and he didn't have to fight Nogueira again.

Jds has wins over Cain, Stipe, Werdum, CROCOP, Carwin and Mir.

Crocop has beat Barnett 3x, Igor and Wand. That's really it.

Cro Cop has better wins.

You can't just left out bunch of wins vs quality and dangerous fighters like they never happened.
Also, MMA history didn't begin in 2010. You have to give proper value and know proper context of each time and know who was considered as quality fighter / win in what time.

Cro Cop was also champion, Grand Prix is of equal value in Pride as divisonal title, and divisional champion enters Grand Prix equally as all other participants. They both represent the best fighter in the world at certain time. You have to relize that it is different system than UFC or boxing.

was tailor made for him once Fedor dropped out and he didn't have to fight Nogueira again.

That's total rubbish and nonsense.
It's Nogueira's own fault if he got eliminated by Barnett, and Cro Cop bested man who bested him.
Also it's not fault of any of Grand Prix participants if Fedor was absent.

Cro Cop has wins over:
-------------------------------------
Barnett 3x, Fujita 2x, Coleman, Randleman, Vovchanchyn, Herring, Wanderlei, King Mo, Waterman, Gonzaga, Yoshida, Magomedov, Aliakbari, Alex Emelianenko, Sakuraba, 2x Ishii

JDS has wins over:
----------------------------------
Stipe, Mirko, Cain, Carwin, Hunt, Werdum, Mir, Rothwell, Nelson, Gonzaga, Struve, Yvel

JDS is simply younger, so he just beat newer generation of fighters.
If someone does not know that Herring & Fujita were Top 5 fighters when Mirko beat them, or that for example Magomedov, Yoshida or Waterman were Top 15 and around of equal worth as Struve, Gonzaga, Nelson when JDS beat them, just in different time, then he is simply a lousy historian.

Last edited:
I’d definitely replace Gomi and Henderson with Khabib and Ferguson

Holy shit how did I not notice you had Bisping at MW ... GTFO Wilko lmao, Bisping isn't even top 10. Maybe not Top 15.

HW:
Fedor
Nog
Stipe
Werdum
JDS

LHW:
Jones
Shogun
Chuck
Wanderlei
DC

MW:
Anderson
Weidman
Whitaker
Romero
Bisping

WW:
GSP
Hughes
Shields
Woodley
Lawler

LW:
BJ
Edgar
Gomi
Henderson
Alvarez

FW:
Aldo
Conor
Holloway
Faber
Edgar

BW:
Cruz
Dillashaw
Garbrandt
Torres
Barao

FLW:
MM
Benavidez
Horiguchi

Too many "GOATS"
There can only be one "Greatest of all time"
and that would probably be Anderson Silva

Back