Top 7 Compound Exercises Total?

DatSamboKid

Muay Khao
@red
Reaction score
I've always wondered if a competition similar to this one would generate interest.

Same concept as powerlifting (1RM), but instead of simply Benching, Squatting and Deadlifting, athletes need to also max on OHP, Bent-Over-Row, Weighted Pull-Up and Dip (or Barbell Curl).

I know the logistics behind planning such an event would be very difficult (time management, official form, equipment..etc), but I personally would be really interested to compete in one if such event existed.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I honestly never got the lack of pulling in PLing (and don't tell me that the DL qualifies).

Weighted Chin Ups are king of the upper body imo. I've known guys who could rep 315 on the bench, but literally couldn't do 3 chin ups.

If I had to pick a big 3, it would be the OHP, Chin Ups and Deadlift. I'm not sure about the 7 movements because people might get lost after a while, too many numbers/events, but replacing the big 3 might be a nice change of pace.

I honestly never got the lack of pulling in PLing (and don't tell me that the DL qualifies).

Weighted Chin Ups are king of the upper body imo. I've known guys who could rep 315 on the bench, but literally couldn't do 3 chin ups.

If I had to pick a big 3, it would be the OHP, Chin Ups and Deadlift. I'm not sure about the 7 movements because people might get lost after a while, too many numbers/events, but replacing the big 3 might be a nice change of pace.
Pretty much all the top deadlifters are big fans of the bent over row, which is tied at N.1, in my opinion, with weighted pull-ups/chin-ups for best overall back exercises. One could legit only do pulls-ups and bent over rows and build a massive back.
If I had to pick a big 3, I think OHP, BOR and Squats would be a nasty trio.

I know lots of guys that can do 3+ chin ups but can't rep 315 on the bench.

3 chin ups is beyond awful, it was just to give an example on how unbalanced these guys were.

A chin up + 100lbs when you are 200lbs+ is more impressive than a 315 bench imo. (I'm talking a real chin up, starting from full extension, bringing the bar to the upper chest, pausing)

Back