TOP KING Professional Shin Guards

Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi
@Brown
Reaction score
I bought these shin guards in August at the Lumpinee Stadium shop in Bangkok. I paid 1250 baht. They are size XL. I have sparred in them about 50 times.

Pros:
They don't spin or twist when strapped down. The strapping system is very very good. The padding is dense and strong, I don't feel anything when clashing shins or kicking a knee. They are very light, much lighter than the Boon or Windy traditional shins I used before. The leather quality is very good. The part that covers the knee cap has save me from a few injuries so far.

Cons: The red piping is vinyl, not leather. It is starting to tear a bit, but it doesn't really matter. The shin and foot pad is connected by a piece of unpadded neoprene. I kicked an elbow a few weeks ago and it fricken hurt...lol.

I woould rate these shin pads 9 out of 10. They are the best shins I have used. If they redesign the neoprene part, they will be a perfect 10.

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

Thanks for the review Ryukyu! I like that you mention how much you've used them before writing the review..

Nice review - I ordered the exact same pair (black w/ red) a week ago to supplement my Haybusas which I'm finding too light for hard sparring.

(edit)

Good point about the lack of protection at the ankle. That does indeed seem like a meaningful design flaw.

Good review. I'm liking a lot of the Top King Gear. I may have to shell out some dough to get some new stuff.

i've got the same in black and white..
they are pretty awesome, but is there a left/right pattern to use them? :D

I have found the velcro straps point to the outside work best for me. If I strap them up with the velcro facing in, they get ripped open when someone catch/pass through one of my round kicks.

The more I use them, the more I like them!

Look nice! Do you have a pic with them on, trying to figure out how they size compared to my fairtex.

Thanks

Do you have any pictures wearing them? The pic I saw before it looked like the foot cover covered the entire foot, which I do not like. I like the design of these though and if it doesnt cover the entire foot I will most likely go with these.

the foot-covers do cover all of my foot, and if you don't have hobbit-feet they'll also cover your foot entirely, or at least most of it.
but somehow, after getting used to this, it's okay...

how tall are you? I was thinking about getting one also but wasn't sure on sizing. thanks

would they be suitable for mma? ie are the light and low profile enough to grapple with ok?

I have always used mma style shin guards. The problem with them is they are so thin my shines were always bruised.

I have used the top king guards for a good few weeks now for standup and also mma sparring ie takedowns, sprawls etc and can happily say they are great for this. Due to how much of the shin the cover and the curve they do not move nearly as much as the shin guards that are actually designed for grappling. Then on top of that add the nice amount of padding these shin guards are perfect for mma sparring.

I've had mine for a month or so now and just love them. I don't miss my Fairtex pros at all.

I've had mine for a month or so now and just love them. I don't miss my Fairtex pros at all.
How do you like them compared to the Fairtex Pro? I just ordered a pair of the Fairtex's because a few guys at my gym reccomended them and they were on sale for $50 on CSI.

How do you like them compared to the Fairtex Pro? I just ordered a pair of the Fairtex's because a few guys at my gym reccomended them and they were on sale for $50 on CSI.

For $50 that's a good deal for sure.

The Fairtex Pros give great protection, but I didn't find them very comfortable. To get them tight enough so that they wouldn't slip, I found the straps were digging into my calves. Protection 10/10, comfort 6/10. But everyone is shaped differently so you might find them to be perfect.

The Top Kings, on the other hand, fit me so well I could wear them for hours. No slipping problems either.

Back