Total War: Three Kingdoms

It's been pretty funny watching internet dorks whine about another Asian game in Total War and "wheres mah Medieval 3?!" Sorry dudes, people have beem requesting this time period for a long time + I think the Warhammer games sold well in China so it's a very sound financial move to make.

It's been pretty funny watching internet dorks whine about another Asian game in Total War and "wheres mah Medieval 3?!" Sorry dudes, people have beem requesting this time period for a long time + I think the Warhammer games sold well in China so it's a very sound financial move to make.

There are a lot more Medieval themed games than Dynastic China themed games. Besides, most of the TW games have been western focused anyway. Shogun 1 and 2 are the only ones in Asia, which has a rich history pertaining to War. Seems obvious ground to till, especially considering Thrones of Brittania is also coming out.

There are a lot more Medieval themed games than Dynastic China themed games. Besides, most of the TW games have been western focused anyway. Shogun 1 and 2 are the only ones in Asia, which has a rich history pertaining to War. Seems obvious ground to till, especially considering Thrones of Brittania is also coming out.

100% agreed. I'd kill for a Ghengis Khan: Total War. Conquer all of Europe and Asia. Kind of got that with Attila and they definitely won't follow up with another Asia based game though.

I'd really like to see them tackle another license after the Warhammer games are done. Something that gives them some room to be creative and not have to base everything on history.

100% agreed. I'd kill for a Ghengis Khan: Total War. Conquer all of Europe and Asia. Kind of got that with Attila and they definitely won't follow up with another Asia based game though.

I'd really like to see them tackle another license after the Warhammer games are done. Something that gives them some room to be creative and not have to base everything on history.

Total War: ImaginationLand
giphy.gif

Damn.

Bad news. Total War: 3K pushed back to Spring 2019.

Good news.

HYPE TRAILER!!!!

Heroes being ultra powerful like Dynasty Warriors is confirmed. (Yessssss)

In battle duels between them also confirmed.

Huge ROTK nerd, will probably get this a year after it comes out, I am not good at Total War RTS games, but I'd learn if the other game mechanics were fun.

Damn.

Bad news. Total War: 3K pushed back to Spring 2019.

Good news.

HYPE TRAILER!!!!

Xiahou Dun looks pretty awesome. Cao Cao is one of my favorite historical anti-heroes, it looks great. I miss staying up with my brother and playing co-op in DW3, none of them since then has really grabbed me, but the ROTK and Dynasty Tactics series had some great entries.

Last edited:
It is amazing. Played about 50 turns as Cao Cao and probably did everything wrong. I wasn't using his mechanic properly so I decided to start over as Gongsun Zan and have been having a blast. Lui Bei and Sun Jian also declared themselves Emperor shortly after I did except we all have long standing trade agreements and non-aggression pacts. I'm trying to clean up some of the more minor factions still lurking around until war inevitably gets declared by one of us. The relationship system is so simple yet has really endeared me to my heroes, despite knowing nothing about the characters, the events or the time period.

It took me a bit to understand the building system after Warhammer's simplistic style but I have a good grasp on it now. The diplomacy is so nice and feature rich I really hope they add some of these features to Warhammer III. Also, sieges are actually fun to play because you can't really cheese them like in WH. Those archer towers are gatling gun snipers and I've won some heavily outnumbered siege defenses because of them.

I'm keen to start a Dong Zhou playthrough and get OP Lu Bu leading asap but I've heard that start can be brutal. Also excited to start a Yellow Turbans Rebellion and lead the peasants to power and overthrow the tyrannical ruling high class. CA really outdid themselves with this game and I can't wait to see how they support it in the future. ALL the DLC will be bought and this might become my favorite Total War game.

It is amazing. Played about 50 turns as Cao Cao and probably did everything wrong. I wasn't using his mechanic properly so I decided to start over as Gongsun Zan and have been having a blast. Lui Bei and Sun Jian also declared themselves Emperor shortly after I did except we all have long standing trade agreements and non-aggression pacts. I'm trying to clean up some of the more minor factions still lurking around until war inevitably gets declared by one of us. The relationship system is so simple yet has really endeared me to my heroes, despite knowing nothing about the characters, the events or the time period.

It took me a bit to understand the building system after Warhammer's simplistic style but I have a good grasp on it now. The diplomacy is so nice and feature rich I really hope they add some of these features to Warhammer III. Also, sieges are actually fun to play because you can't really cheese them like in WH. Those archer towers are gatling gun snipers and I've won some heavily outnumbered siege defenses because of them.

I'm keen to start a Dong Zhou playthrough and get OP Lu Bu leading asap but I've heard that start can be brutal. Also excited to start a Yellow Turbans Rebellion and lead the peasants to power and overthrow the tyrannical ruling high class. CA really outdid themselves with this game and I can't wait to see how they support it in the future. ALL the DLC will be bought and this might become my favorite Total War game.

Even if you're someone who never picked up a Total War title or never heard about the Romance of the Three Kingdoms saga, this game is still incredible.

The UI is so clean, the tutorial functions are very helpful and tooltips are available for everything, the graphics and sounds are incredible. The voices, the art, etc It's just so well made. The chants of your men fighting, dying, and triumphing is so immersive. RPG-like general building is better than ever.

And on top of all that the game is incredibly challenging, even compared to some other TW titles. Every start is so damn hard, even Cao Cao which they rate as easy. He Yi is basically impossible. None of them are easy except Sun Jian.

Game looks pretty incredible. Added it to my wish list for now and I'll come back around to it.

I think I was playing KOEI and lost my virginity before you were born so I have a right to my opinion.

Okay, I'm playing it and after about 30 hours, I still think the Koei games are better even though this is a very good Total War game. Not as good as the Warhammers though (every faction is different, especially the weird ones like vampires, Beastmen, Dark Elves). Worth buying definitely.

I'd called it a dumbed down Genghis Khan in Total War style. People are jerking off to the diplomacy... ignoring the fact that battles are incredibly repetitive and the terrain is ALWAYS THE SAME. No bridges, complicated fortresses, mountains, rivers and the units are all the same.

But like I said, worth buying.

The engine seems much improved and that includes working faster and better on the same system as Warhammers. Load times, etc.

I'm gonna wait 6 months on this one for patches and mods. I been a TW junky since Shogun 1. But this time period is my least favorite.
I think between playing Roma Surrectum 3 (Rome 1), Stainless Steel/Titanium (Medieval 2) and Divide Et Impera (Rome 2) mods i have like 8k hours game time played lol. That's not even including Shogun 2 or Empire, Attila, and all the rest....
Modded TW is crack cocaine...just one more turn....

None of them are easy except Sun Jian.

Except if you keep the seal and that fucker Lui Bao calls his vassels to war against you. That's three stacks coming for you within 10-15 turns from what I've read.

The battles feeling the same.....of course they are. It was the same in Shogun 2 as well. You can't get too crazy with units like a Warhammer game, especially when it's one culture and a culture so far back in history. It's always going to be spears, archers, swords and cavalry for any historical game pre-1400 AD. I think the battles are a lot of fun with the different heroes and their abilities.

Except if you keep the seal and that fucker Lui Bao calls his vassels to war against you. That's three stacks coming for you within 10-15 turns from what I've read.

The battles feeling the same.....of course they are. It was the same in Shogun 2 as well. You can't get too crazy with units like a Warhammer game, especially when it's one culture and a culture so far back in history. It's always going to be spears, archers, swords and cavalry for any historical game pre-1400 AD. I think the battles are a lot of fun with the different heroes and their abilities.

It's still easy if you keep the seal.

The point they keep attacking is already a developed city with walls and they rarely arrive at the same time. You could probably hold it off with just one good general and the city garrison while your main force gobble up the dozens of free Han cities around you.

Sometimes they will take really long routes to attack your capital and you can just wipe them out pretty easy there too.

Off the top of my head I can add:

Fire bombardiers
Fire pigs
Tribal northern infantry (Proto-Mongols)
Tribal northern cavalry with bows
Heavy crossbows and heavy crossbow infantry
Wheel catapult
Ballista type artillery
Female bodyguards
Female infantry
Mountain barbarians
Mercenaries from Indochina, Japan and Korea.

I can win most battles but some I’ll just say fuck it. Especially the bullshit mechanism where you have three stacks next to each other but when attached by two, they can’t reinforce.

This game is a blast. The whole palace intrigue thing is great and pulls the diplo closer to crusader kings in a good way.
Im hoping CA aims for a khanate decline game or something similar next.

A medieval-era game focusing on the middle East+ northern Africa could also be fun.

Back