Traditional Women's Role: Work Full Time and Be Buff

I make my kids pickup the dogshit in the backyard, does that count?
My 4 year old "helps" me cut firewood when ever he sees me doing it. I even gave him one of my pack axes.

Dat farmers strength, you know, because everyone farmed back then.

Why am I guessing that bone density was greater for men as well.......

Women have always been hard workers in all species. It is the Christian European men who created the weak woman, whose only job was to stand on a pedestal, look beautiful and be admired.

I dislike how often prehistoric societies and ways of life are mixed up with medieval ones, to make up this weird "before our time" picture. See this a lot in this forum.

"women used to plough the field" be specific. when, where?

not specifically to the TS who made a good thread.

by the way, prehistoric humans had perfect teeth and bones basically. it all changed with agriculture.

Women have always been hard workers in all species. It is the Christian European men who created the weak woman, whose only job was to stand on a pedestal, look beautiful and be admired.

In islam, women is pedestal, with table cloth.

Ok so paleo women were more rugged than we thought. I don't see many strong empowered ladies today vying for work as coal miners or building rail roads or working on oil rigs, so what's the point?

On average, their humerus bones — the upper arm bone — were about 16 percent stronger than elite rowers today, who work their arms intensely for 18 to 20 hours each week.

How does increasing muscle mass have any influence on bone growth? I completely missed this one in physiology class.

This would mean, for example, that if I started doing leg lifts on a regular basis I would increase the size and/or density of my femurs.

I am going to have to call bullshit until proven otherwise.

Never heard how old people should perform resistance exercises to negate age related bone mass/density loss?

How ancient peoples had higher bone mass/density not seen in even modern athletes (like this study suggests) and that we've been degrading since pre agricultural (domesticated) times?

Paleo's whole schitck is based on people working out like mad men (and eating like them too) in order to reactivate those "caveman genes", doing intense resistance exercises and eating high protein diets in order to counteract the debilitating effects of 10,000 years of civilisation (carb full farmed food diet and heavy sedentarism).

447px-OBERCAS1.jpg

The top two are pre modern Europeans females (cave woman or cro magnon woman). The bottom two are the males. As you can see from the skulls the "robustness" of their frames, the thickness of their bones etc cannot be compared to modern humans, hence why Industrial Age Europeans thought their pre agricultural ancestors were a different human species "Cro magnon man" when they were discovered.

Last edited:
Never heard how old people should perform resistance exercises to negate age related bone mass/density loss?

I had heard of diet and drug treatments for osteoporosis. But never exercise.

I should have googled this topic before posting. It appears exercise can impact bone growth. I have learned something brand new today.

It would be nice to know which countries in Europe they gathered bones from.
I'm assuming most of them were gathered from the UK.
The research is not surprising considering how the British have been through many wars.
It's usually the men fighting the wars, not the women. (duh)

I had heard of diet and drug treatments for osteoporosis. But never exercise.

I should have googled this topic before posting. It appears exercise can impact bone growth. I have learned something brand new today.
Yea i was about to say it totally does increase bone density.

This finding seems to blow up the popular perception that ancient women were relegated to domestic work around the home and child rearing.
Being a homemaker 7500 years ago likely presented unique challenges not found today. You ever try to vacuum out a cave?

But to fair everyman is a downright pussy compared to those guys.

On average, their humerus bones — the upper arm bone — were about 16 percent stronger than elite rowers today, who work their arms intensely for 18 to 20 hours each week.

How does increasing muscle mass have any influence on bone growth? I completely missed this one in physiology class.

This would mean, for example, that if I started doing leg lifts on a regular basis I would increase the size and/or density of my femurs.

It is my understanding that yes that would happen.

I'm not super confident in this answer, but here goes. Wouldn't the density and strength of bones rise to the level of abuse over generations? Or maybe something like only the strong boned women were able to survive and mate in those harsher conditions? Somebody could probably articulate this much better then I. I'm just kind of spit balling

Edit: just saw the other answers and wished I googled first too lol

??? You never read up on the Scythians, Celts, Sarmatians etc,etc? Greek historians noted there were many women warriors present in those peoples Archaeological digs have confirmed it as well.

??? You never read up on the Scythians, Celts, Sarmatians etc,etc? Greek historians noted there were many women warriors present in those peoples Archaeological digs have confirmed it as well.

Being buried with weapons does not make you a warrior.

Back