Training at other gyms to get better?

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Is it necessary at some point in your jiu jitsu journey to train at other gyms to get better than training at one gym, alone? By this, I mean, you still have a home based gym where you're a paying member, but train at near by schools in your area to improve and get different training partners and different coaching perspective from other black belt instructors?

Unless your at a competitive/big name school its probably a non-issue, but I'm thinking for students from small, no-name schools.

I understand that if you keep training you'll improve no matter what, I get this. But I ask this question in terms of taking ownership of your own training and making the jump from intermediate level to higher level(I don't mean professional BJJ level, just hobbyist level). Like greatly improving in 1.5 years than taking 4 years to do it.

I understand competing and frequency of training is a factor in making the jump to vastly improving, but not sure, if training at other gyms is also necessary if the option is available.

Is it necessary? No.

Is it helpful? Yes.

Your mileage may vary, of course. This can always lead to weird problems if your main instructor is... possessive. Or the other gyms are not as receptive to drop-ins as they claim to be.

Nah it is not necessary
But you know the old say:...something about grass being greener in the other side...

dont listen to these other 2, of course training with as many different people as possible is very helpful

It is, now I've primary been more in MMA and striking, so its not 100% the same, but the same overall principles apply.

Been at my gym for near 6 years and have felt it was akin to being a cheater cross training. But since my coach kinda fucked me over big time, I've been doing it, and I've improved alot. Alot of our top guys (pros included) do it, and they pick up alot of great material. I've come to regret not doing it sooner.

Its a big world out there, and you should pick up different styles to make what works for you best. The issue is the cost, training in multiple gyms, but if thats not an issue for you, go ahead.

I think it also depends on your gym, if the gap between you and the next best guys happen to be Earth to Mars, you need to. If its close, then its okay, but still I feel its good to experience other styles and see what they can contribute to your overall game. Maybe your gym is great at sweeps and bottom, but the gym 2km away happens to have an excellent leg attack and top game methodology. Incorporate it, adapting and progression is the key, staying stagnant means the death to all of us, be it career or sports. Always seek to improve.

If your main school is open to you cross training, then it comes down to frequency and who you represent as a competitor. You train at your home gym 2 times a week while at the supplementary gym, its 4 times? You'll be repping the 2nd-dary gym then Unless of course your coach is really stingy about name recognition and wants you to rep them no matter what

Depends on how good your current gym is. If you end up visiting a better gym, then yes. If it's not as good, then probably not.

However, sometimes it's just seeing a different way of seeing things. I went to a big name gym years ago and didn't quite enjoy it. The classes felt unstructured and I thought I had difficulty with the instructor in understanding the techniques. In saying that, I was a visitor so I guess it might've been redundant for him to spend extra time with me. I walked away with the feeling that sometimes while it could be better, it could also be worse. For the ones that you feel are "worse" take away how not to run things

Train as much as you can with good schools and instructors.

Great way to up your variations IQ.

We use to travel around the NE to train with more 93kg guys.

It's kinda funny to Randori with a area school buddy after competing against each other. It brings that comp intensity to class and open mats in a good natured way.

Still super good friends even though I couldn't train for the last few years. Happy, but a little bitter sweet seeing them move up through the ranks.

I highly recommend it!

training at "other" gyms isn't any better unless they are better gyms

if you just want to spar with new bodies then it's good in that sense

Back