Training at two different gyms? Bad?

DarkNoise

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So Im not super happy with current gym, so thinking about training at another gym to try it out. Problem is my shift might change next year or sometime after. One gym works well for one shift and other gym works better for other hours. Id like to be loyal to one place but its hard if Im changing schools all the time. So I thinking about training mostly at one school and then parttime at another.Then if my shift changes I can just flip flop if that makes sense. Is this a bad idea? Should people be loyal and train only at one gym? I do muay thai and bjj.

So Im not super happy with current gym, so thinking about training at another gym to try it out. Problem is my shift might change next year or sometime after. One gym works well for one shift and other gym works better for other hours. Id like to be loyal to one place but its hard if Im changing schools all the time. So I thinking about training mostly at one school and then parttime at another.Then if my shift changes I can just flip flop if that makes sense. Is this a bad idea? Should people be loyal and train only at one gym? I do muay thai and bjj.
Everyone's gonna say you shouldn't, but you should. You can compare knowledge from one teacher to the other, and find out what is best for you. Your teachers may take offense though. Plus that's only if you can handle balancing two gyms at the same time

Everyone's gonna say you shouldn't, but you should. You can compare knowledge from one teacher to the other, and find out what is best for you. Your teachers may take offense though. Plus that's only if you can handle balancing two gyms at the same time
some really good coaches even actively encourage their students to shop around. it's usually inferior coaches that are worried you will jump ship. it's a bit like when you have a really fucking ugly missus and she gets jealous all the time because she knows you can do better.

As long as you let both owners from the gyms know, it should be fine. It’s not like you owe them anything yet, you’re not even fighting for them

Its fine to cross train. Let them know yiu are. Its more prevslent to let them kniw when you're a competitor to your main gym. If your name pops up on a local fight for another gym and your main one doesn't know, its a "wtf mang? " moment. And this community is tiny, everyone is in touch with each other.

I get the whole thing of loyalty to a gym, it can be a a great thing. However, if your not happy with the training, then its time to go. Loyalty is great, but theres no reason to be loyal to if your not happy. One thing I have noticed, is that many of the higher level guys cross train at many different gyms. I will keep my best interest and progression in mind above loyalty.

this article has good advice on the subject.
http://www.muaythaiathlete.com/switching-gyms-break-advicereal-stories-real-people/

this is what really struck home for me regarding this article, we cant do this shit forever man, its a young mans sport, so get the most out of it while you can.

. . . As a student, you are paying for training and have a finite amount of years to pursue this passion, so make sure your training at a place that can reciprocate the effort you put in.”

Last edited:
If they are not competing gyms, as in they both have fighters in the same circuit, it should not be a problem........

I get the whole thing of loyalty to a gym, it can be a a great thing. However, if your not happy with the training, then its time to go. Loyalty is great, but theres no reason to be loyal to bullshit. One thing I have noticed, is that many of the higher level guys cross train at many different gyms. I will keep my best interest and progression in mind above loyalty.

this article has good advice on the subject.
http://www.muaythaiathlete.com/switching-gyms-break-advicereal-stories-real-people/

this is what really struck home for me regarding this article, we cant do this shit forever man, its a young mans sport, so get the most out of it while you can.

. . . As a student, you are paying for training and have a finite amount of years to pursue this passion, so make sure your training at a place that can reciprocate the effort you put in.”

The whole relationship is reciprical, they give you knowledge, and you pay fees to help keep the lights on. If someone compromises, its done.

I used to be of the loyalty mindset, but when it was clear I was being fucked over despite my years in, I jumped the sinking ship. And its a big world out there, found a place where I'm picking up material wonderfully, and in a way slightly pissed what's considered normal wasnt taught. Then also the new crew are just as high level as the others with a coach who basically took me in like a long time member even though I'm still green to his gym.

The whole relationship is reciprical, they give you knowledge, and you pay fees to help keep the lights on. If someone compromises, its done.

I used to be of the loyalty mindset, but when it was clear I was being fucked over despite my years in, I jumped the sinking ship. And its a big world out there, found a place where I'm picking up material wonderfully, and in a way slightly pissed what's considered normal wasnt taught. Then also the new crew are just as high level as the others with a coach who basically took me in like a long time member even though I'm still green to his gym.

yeah dude I totally agree with you. Its reciprocal was they key word. Its a give take relationship.

Thanks guys. I think i will try out other gym. As i posted in another thread Im just a number at my current gym and i like smaller gyms better so im going to try the other place out. At the end of the day im paying for service.

Back