Training but not fighting

Davem10

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've trained boxing for years and never competed but spar once a week. I feel a bit awkward at times though knowing I do better in sparring than some of the fighters yet I haven't gone out and represented the club in a fight

Thinking about starting mma soon but again, without any real desire to compete I just train for the self confidence it gives it.

Anybody do this ?

Does anyone else spar one time a week and do better than competitive athletes?

Seems an odd question.

Well if you want to train mma, you need to train bjj if your looking to spar mma style. You need to know the basics and what not. If your not looking to compete be careful what gym you choose because some of them might go hard on you just to get ready for a fight, or just to make themselves feel good about themselves.

I've trained boxing for years and never competed but spar once a week. I feel a bit awkward at times though knowing I do better in sparring than some of the fighters yet I haven't gone out and represented the club in a fight

Thinking about starting mma soon but again, without any real desire to compete I just train for the self confidence it gives it.

Anybody do this ?
Depends on your intentions and what you are trying to accomplish. If you are sparring fairly frequently, I'd say that's important if you want to at least be proficient at it. You really have to know what it's like to have someone throwing punches at you and defending them if you are going to get the most out of learning the sport.

If you don't want to actually fight in a sanctioned setting, that's fine, a lot of people train and don't do that.

But if you don't at least work on your defense and have people throw punches at you... it's just boxercise.

Seems an odd question.

Seems even more odd to think Canelos team planned to have him pop for steroids does it not LOL

And yes it's perfectly reasonable for someone who has trained for years to be able to beat up the people who have had fights. You're aware people can and do fight after less than a year of training.

You're meant to be a boxing trainer, how don't you know that

Anybody do this ?

if your question is does anyone else train without the intent of ever competing than the answer is an obvious yes, I would say about 90% of the people that train dont compete. That being said, sparring is not fighting, just because you can do it in sparring does not mean you can do it in a fight. It doesnt mean that you cant, but it does not mean that you can either. Doing it in a fight is an entirely different thing. if you havent competed it may be hard for you to understand this, so a comparison would be, just because you can do it on the bag or pads, doesnt mean you can do it in sparring.

Seems an odd question.

Of course it's not......... It's the simple difference of the competitive athletes going at 50% and trying not to do any real harm and your average gym hero (mentally challenged) doing it at 100%.

I have (had?) this talented kid who trained with us for about three years. Mostly hybrid muay thai training.

Then he wanted to try a amateur bout in pure boxing. I got one of the trainers to focus on him. Just boxing. He got better fast. So he made the trip to another town to get some sparring in a real boxing gym.

He outboxed this boxer there. Turns out that he was a norwegian amateur champ..

So what happens now? Of course this kid gets a big ego boost. His confidence is sky high. He just did better then a champ!

Fast forward a few weeks. Its sparring day. One of my best guys are home for the summer. He goes to this mma school in another school far away from here. So i see him only during xmas and summer.

Anyway. This guy is very easy to coach. And every time he comes back, he is much better then last time.

So they do some boxing sparring. Starts out kinda even. But mr mma start to gets his timing down. Young boxer dont like it, and start going a bit harder.. Nothing big happens. No knockdown or anything. But alot of hits and nose blood.

Most damage was probably to a ego who was higher then reality.

I have not seen him since. Texted him a few times. He replies that he is coming back soon. But i dont know.

Moral of the story? You may think you are better then the guys who train and fight. But you dont know how they think.. Are they banged up? Off season? Do they take it easy of you?

I have (had?) this talented kid who trained with us for about three years. Mostly hybrid muay thai training.

Then he wanted to try a amateur bout in pure boxing. I got one of the trainers to focus on him. Just boxing. He got better fast. So he made the trip to another town to get some sparring in a real boxing gym.

He outboxed this boxer there. Turns out that he was a norwegian amateur champ..

So what happens now? Of course this kid gets a big ego boost. His confidence is sky high. He just did better then a champ!

Fast forward a few weeks. Its sparring day. One of my best guys are home for the summer. He goes to this mma school in another school far away from here. So i see him only during xmas and summer.

Anyway. This guy is very easy to coach. And every time he comes back, he is much better then last time.

So they do some boxing sparring. Starts out kinda even. But mr mma start to gets his timing down. Young boxer dont like it, and start going a bit harder.. Nothing big happens. No knockdown or anything. But alot of hits and nose blood.

Most damage was probably to a ego who was higher then reality.

I have not seen him since. Texted him a few times. He replies that he is coming back soon. But i dont know.

Moral of the story? You may think you are better then the guys who train and fight. But you dont know how they think.. Are they banged up? Off season? Do they take it easy of you?

How many Baht to Pattaya?

Of course it's not......... It's the simple difference of the competitive athletes going at 50% and trying not to do any real harm and your average gym hero (mentally challenged) doing it at 100%.

Idiot

Did I say I beat "combat athletes" or did I say I do better in sparring than some of the fighters

I'm not at a professional boxing gym, I'm a hobbyist as is obvious by me saying I don't fight

People in amateur gyms fight as early as their first year into training, if you're that dumb to not understand someone who has trained for years and sparred regularly can beat these people then I don't know what to say..... except get your head out of sinisters arse

Idiot

Did I say I beat "combat athletes" or did I say I do better in sparring than some of the fighters

I'm not at a professional boxing gym, I'm a hobbyist as is obvious by me saying I don't fight

People in amateur gyms fight as early as their first year into training, if you're that dumb to not understand someone who has trained for years and sparred regularly can beat these people then I don't know what to say..... except get your head out of sinisters arse

I'm not a boxer I'm a Nak Muay but I can say that from what I known you would be better off going to Sinister at the gym he teaches out of and proving your metal......... post a video........it's not about ego........we all need to learn.....:)

Last edited:
I'm not a boxer I'm a Nak Muay but I can say that from what I known you would be better off going to Sinister at the gym he teaches out of and proving your metal......... post a video........it's not about ego........we all need to learn.....:)

What on earth are you talking about

You're getting hung up on a tiny bit of my post that you clearly didn't understand and now you're hanging onto that incorrect assumption you made even after I've clarified it for you

Weird

I will say it for you again though very clearly so you get get over it, in no way shape or form can I beat a professional boxer...... An amateur who has had a couple of fights who has been training around a year or less, yes i can handle them in sparring and "win" the spar seems though I've been training at least 3 times longer.

Last edited:

You're getting hung up on a tiny bit of my post that you clearly didn't understand and now you're hanging onto that incorrect assumption you made even after I've clarified it for you

Weird

I will say it for you again though very clearly so you get get over it, in no way shape or form can I beat a professional boxer...... An amateur who has had a couple of fights who has been training around a year or less, yes i can handle them in sparring and "win" the spar seems though I've been training at least 3 times longer.

Okay......;)

Weird

So you've been training for about 3 years at least. But I'm guessing your saying you can beat people who have only had 1 fight is that correct?

So you've been training for about 3 years at least. But I'm guessing your saying you can beat people who have only had 1 fight is that correct?

There is someone who has had 6 fights who i am better than

Why are people focusing on that as if its some kind of brag. If i had 3 years experience playing pool would it be a huge shock that i beat people who have played for less than one year ?

The topic of the subject is training, becoming skilled, skilled enough to compete and do well but never actually competing.......

Meh still sound like just another person who need a cyber pat on his shoulder for being a badass

Meh still sound like just another person who need a cyber pat on his shoulder for being a badass

Why would you pat anyone on the back who has 3x the experience being able to beat the other less experienced person ?

If you cant do better than someone that has 3 times less experience than you then you best go do something else

Bizarre how some of you people think

After stop drinking I start training March 2016 boxing kickboxing now past year concentrated only on boxing. My cousin training boxing 10 years now and we training together 4 months every second day then November he go to Germany and I continue alone. Don't stop training pretty soon we will be too old to do what we doing now soo give everything you got knowing that

There is someone who has had 6 fights who i am better than
Why are people focusing on that as if its some kind of brag. If i had 3 years experience playing pool would it be a huge shock that i beat people who have played for less than one year ?
The topic of the subject is training, becoming skilled, skilled enough to compete and do well but never actually competing.......

Back