Training but not fighting

Where I train they only spar to the body. No head. I always wonder if you don't miss a lot of skill with that, because you miss 1,2,3,4,5,6 in combinations. Only do 7,8,9,10
Ingles Gym in Sheffield trains it's kids like that, body shots only. They have produced a plethora of world champions including Naseem Hamed using that approach. So I think it can work.

Ingles Gym in Sheffield trains it's kids like that, body shots only. They have produced a plethora of world champions including Naseem Hamed using that approach. So I think it can work.
It forces you to be creative when you restrict part of a ruleset, but personally I feel you need to still include full rules or it'll end up creating bad habits down the line

It forces you to be creative when you restrict part of a ruleset, but personally I feel you need to still include full rules or it'll end up creating bad habits down the line
I think that they admitted that as much and was part of the reason Hamed didn't take getting hit that well. Their pros certainly do spar with shots to the head. It's just for protecting the young developing brains.

I think that they admitted that as much and was part of the reason Hamed didn't take getting hit that well. Their pros certainly do spar with shots to the head. It's just for protecting the young developing brains.
Makes sense, not really a fan of youngings banging it out on the reg, save that for the fights where it counts

Some more or less top notch amateur boxers at our gym, are training 9 times per week (before school/after school). Sat/sun they don't train. Others train only after school but also on weekend. Despite several things, their condition and footwork is excellent. No chance alone for that footwork.
I train 2-3 times a week including sparring nearly everytime. Ok I am quiet a bit older (25+ y). Its Like go cart vs formula 1 in endurance &speed mode. :cool:

He I am a grown dude :) Dont compare me to kids :p
I think they do it here because most don't understand "low impact. Go 20%". Then they just go 100% full blown out on my knees, hitting everything wrong because they are not controlled.

If you only have 7 8 9 10... Atleast you will only fuck up my liver ;-)

Back