Training cross over

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
My brain is fried from studying for this week midterm, so hopefully my writing makes sense.

I would like to hear your guys experience how training in one style helped you improve your other style in the martial art. For me, from the limited time learning Muay Thai, I learn the importance of light sparring which helped improve my boxing. I mostly spar real light working on technique and trying different things in the ring. Once in a while I’ll spar hard.

My brain is fried from studying for this week midterm, so hopefully my writing makes sense.

I would like to hear your guys experience how training in one style helped you improve your other style in the martial art. For me, from the limited time learning Muay Thai, I learn the importance of light sparring which helped improve my boxing. I mostly spar real light working on technique and trying different things in the ring. Once in a while I’ll spar hard.

cross training boxing has greatly improved my hands, my combinations, my footwork, my head movement, and my evasiveness.

I think cross training TKD would add some amazing footwork.

Crosstraining in soccer helped with kicking while moving/being mobile (which a lot of people can't do) and also sheer kicking power. It also helped accuracy with foot-eye coordination

Learning to open public restroom doors with your shoes after you've already washed your hands will also help your balance, etc

Hugging people really hard like a retard, has helped me with my clinch work.

Punching doors when I'm drunk has helped with my hand conditioning.

Salsa lessons helped with my footwork and hips.

I'd recommend track and field, purely because that's what people did in antiquity for conditioning and power/strength training. As in: Jumping, running and throwing.

Modern-wise, I'd say gymnastics, but mainly the acrobatics and speed-strength stuff, not so much the holds.

I've trained bjj, wrestling, boxing, TKD, and MT. Some arts more than other but I've spent time in each and one thing I've learned is how well the different arts complement each other.

Im speaking more in an MMA context but there's always things in each individual art that will enchance your abilities in the other styles.

I think one of the biggest improvements for me personally was my wrestling once I learned how to box proficiently. The footwork, defensive movement, and distance you learn from boxing can leave your opponents legs/hips wide open for unchecked doubles and clinch entries.

Chain wrestling is one of my best weapons in grappling, as even the most stubborn guard pullers usually can defend the 1st shot. But in MMA I can usually take people down on the first attempt because of the openings boxing has created for my wrestling.

Back