Training frequency and recovery

DanaWhitesButler

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I have training BJJ for two years and doing well in regional tournaments. I have been going 3 or 4 x a week and recently increased to 6 and sometimes even doing two a day. I have been very sore and not recovering well. It makes it hard for me to train well. Anyone have advice for training hard 6 days a week, making that transition to much higher training frequency? Should I train with less intensity?

Eat more, sleep more, use steroids, get massages.

How old are you? What are your goals? Are you supplementing with any lifting / yoga type activities? How is your diet / sleep patterns?

Can't answer without more info.

Eat more, sleep more, use steroids, get massages.

Maybe I should eat and sleep more. Any dietary advice? Already on 3 types of steroids and they helped. Massages are a good idea but I don't think I could afford them regularly

Thanks.

Last edited:
How old are you? What are your goals? Are you supplementing with any lifting / yoga type activities? How is your diet / sleep patterns?

Can't answer without more info.

35. I want to be the top BJJ competitor in my region age and rank and gold most tournaments.

I used to lift but quit 3 months ago and began just doing a 20 minute bodyweight routine every other day - chinups, pullups, different types of push-ups and a ton of core exercises. Little to no cardio outside of BJJ.

I do TRT, Sermorelin (stimulates GH production) and HCG (stimulates T production). I take l-alanine, creatine, fiber, and BCAAs.

My sleeping and eating could probably be better. I sleep 6 or 7 hours, drink occasionally, and my diet is mostly keto with 2 or so binge cheat meals a week.

Thanks.

You definitely need more sleep, you potentially need more calories.

Maybe I should eat and sleep more. Any dietary advice? Already on 3 types of steroids and they helped. Massages are a good idea but I don't think I could afford them regularly

Thanks.

A paleo-ish approach has worked well for me so far. In any case, no matter your goal, you'll do better if you avoid processed foods. Ditch the fast food, ditch added sugar, ditch processed industrial oils, and eat real stuff.

Sleep is the world most effective performance enhancing drug.

Do you work ?

Why not try 5 training a week to start ? Then build up to 6.
Eat more and eat better. Sleep more and sleep better.

Being 35 years old and already on anti aging PEDs probably isn't a good start.
Wouldn't it be better to accept you are aging and adjust your goals accordingly?

35. I want to be the top BJJ competitor in my region age and rank and gold most tournaments.

I used to lift but quit 3 months ago and began just doing a 20 minute bodyweight routine every other day - chinups, pullups, different types of push-ups and a ton of core exercises. Little to no cardio outside of BJJ.

I do TRT, Sermorelin (stimulates GH production) and HCG (stimulates T production). I take l-alanine, creatine, fiber, and BCAAs.

My sleeping and eating could probably be better. I sleep 6 or 7 hours, drink occasionally, and my diet is mostly keto with 2 or so binge cheat meals a week.

Thanks.
Werdum is that you?

Mix and match and be selective.

Unfortunately no matter how young your are or feel, 6 "kill" sessions a week is brutal and can't be kept up in the long run.

Pick your spots. Sometimes go to class and drill, roll lighter than you normally would. be selective on who you roll with

Sub at least one of your sessions with a pure "drilling" session. No live rolling, just drilling your key moves / positions over slightly increasing resistance. Maybe add this to the middle of the week for a bit of recovery.

Also- where do you live? Because if its the east coast- age 35 is to late to become the top competitor.

Do you work ?

Why not try 5 training a week to start ? Then build up to 6.
Eat more and eat better. Sleep more and sleep better.

Being 35 years old and already on anti aging PEDs probably isn't a good start.
Wouldn't it be better to accept you are aging and adjust your goals accordingly?

I do work but it's flexible, so I can sometimes train during the day. More sleep and better diet is what most people are saying, so I will start there. Thanks.

Nope, I believe I can still train hard at 35. And the PEDs have actually changed my life and given me more energy, injuries heal faster, increased libido, etc.

Mix and match and be selective.

Unfortunately no matter how young your are or feel, 6 "kill" sessions a week is brutal and can't be kept up in the long run.

Pick your spots. Sometimes go to class and drill, roll lighter than you normally would. be selective on who you roll with

Good advice. Thanks! When training 3 or 4 days a week, I would go pretty hard during rolling sessions. I like the idea of not rolling hard in between when training 5 or 6 days a week.

I do live on the east coast, but I can still become the best for my age group (30 to 40) and rank (blue belt currently). I will be competing with other relative beginners and people my age. So, I can work harder and smarter and be better than them. I don't intend to be the best black belt or world champ. I agree that's out of reach. But I can be the killer of my division (age, rank, gender)

I do work but it's flexible, so I can sometimes train during the day. More sleep and better diet is what most people are saying, so I will start there. Thanks.

Nope, I believe I can still train hard at 35. And the PEDs have actually changed my life and given me more energy, injuries heal faster, increased libido, etc.

You can definitely train hard but why not just aim for 4-5 sessions a week ? You can make it up over 2x days and single days. 5 x a week will be more than 90% of the people at your belt and age.
Everyone else will have lives. I get having a goal and being focused towards something, but unless it is your major source of income then why dedicate your whole life to it?

I am 8 years younger than you, work crazy hours/shiftwork and train bjj 3x on a very good week. The rest of my training is made up of strength and conditioning and trying to sleep atleast 7 hours.
I would love more mat time, but I have to be realistic and can only recover from so much.

TRT is cheating if you're competing in master categories.

Back