Training in Thailand

Whend you go? I just came back a few days ago too haha

I was there on Sat morning about 10:30, were you one of the dudes there that looked tough and actually quite serious making me feel awkward! :D

I was there on Sat morning about 10:30, were you one of the dudes there that looked tough and actually quite serious making me feel awkward! :D
how long did you stay there? and hows the air quality? pollution wise

how long did you stay there? and hows the air quality? pollution wise

I was in Phuket for 4 nights and just did the one training session there. Air quality seemed good enough, but fucking very hot of course, as a Westerner I found it pretty hard to deal with that bit of it.

I was in Phuket for 4 nights and just did the one training session there. Air quality seemed good enough, but fucking very hot of course, as a Westerner I found it pretty hard to deal with that bit of it.

yeah ,i feel you, i was supposed to join with yokkao gym , but the entire pollution,hot weather made me shift towards chaing mai... maybe during my 3rd month in , ill spend my time in bangkok but in a Airconditioned room.. no way id be able to sleep in a 32 degrees weather

We have recently had a heat wave in the UK where it was consistently high 20s like 28 for about 2 weeks. I absolutely hated it. Really put me off the idea of going to Thailand to train

How much better is the training there ? It's much more expensive than the training where I'm at and I assume the same for everyone else. Is it truly that many levels above?

yeah ,i feel you, i was supposed to join with yokkao gym , but the entire pollution,hot weather made me shift towards chaing mai... maybe during my 3rd month in , ill spend my time in bangkok but in a Airconditioned room.. no way id be able to sleep in a 32 degrees weather
You have to be careful with Chiang Mai also, if it is burning season the pollution is bad, puts Chiang Mai up there as one of the most polluted cities in world.

You have to be careful with Chiang Mai also, if it is burning season the pollution is bad, puts Chiang Mai up there as one of the most polluted cities in world.

well that suck , when is usually burning season?

We have recently had a heat wave in the UK where it was consistently high 20s like 28 for about 2 weeks. I absolutely hated it. Really put me off the idea of going to Thailand to train

How much better is the training there ? It's much more expensive than the training where I'm at and I assume the same for everyone else. Is it truly that many levels above?

yeah man i feel you , i live/work in germany/lebanon , so i keep bouncing inbetween, when im in beirut, its a scorching 32- 36 degrees with 95% humidity during july and august , cant train right .... but im slowly trying to fit into the hot weather by sleeping without an air condition for atleast a couple hours at night , outside workout ..etc etc

training in thailand is definitley different as youll be committed to the gym , training twice a day ,2.5 hours every training session ,6 days a week, trainers are usually lumpini/raj. ex-fighters .. so the experience youll take is some next level shit given you spend atleast 2 months there.

from my personal experience i think people who go there to train for 2 days, a week even a month isnt worth it .

regarding the money youll be paying , depends on the gym , but for both accomodation and training "with 2 meals a day" fees range from 450$ to 1200$

Heading to Chiang Mai again later this year, could you tell me why you suggest this gym?

Its a old gym with a long history. Its also a nice mix of thais and farangs. And they know how to train both.

The gym feels like a big family if you enter the fighter group.

And the trainers speak well enough english. They also find out fast who belongs in the fight group and not in the fitness / cardio group.

For comparison i tried superpro in samui in 2014. And there you had to almost argue to get into the real fight training.

I read many post about how its best to go to a hardcore gym in the slums to train with ranked thais without any other tourists.. I dont get that. People who says this, dont speak fluid thai. And they are also a tourist.

Best is finding a gym that knows how to train non-thai people, without turning it into a light cardio version of muay thai.

Good luck with your training man.

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I forgot about this thread for awhile.
You asked me about gyms in Phuket. I can see your also looking for good technical training. I used to train at Tiger muay Thai in Chalong back before that street fully exploded. People say it's too commercial but my memories of the place were good. We were sparring and doing clinch work every second day plus work on techniques and a good regimen of pushups and situps to finish.
Since then that whole street has built up and expanded a lot and theres a plethora of options there. It is probably the best area for boxing in the world. Phuket top team looks good but never tried it.
These days when I goto Phuket I stay in Patong. I train at Pho Tong gym (has a FB) because it is cheaper than the others. It is typical kicking pads and not much learning techniques or actual instruction. Sitsongpeenong is probably where I would go these days. Never been there but have heard good things. In my mind Singpatong gym up on the hill overlooking Patong is probably the toughest gym in Phuket. They have a lot of good fighters and success. It is less touristy and more fight orientated and they have to run down the hill through Patong and back up hill twice a day.
Seems like you found your gym anyway and sounds good.
I did read something about 40,000 baht somewhere. That sounds very very excessive. By comparison in Pattaya you could have quite a good room (at fairtex) and train at fairtex for 25,000 a month and fairtex are quite expensive.
I train at a place called Eagle gym which is a 10 minute walk from Fairtex and it is just 6000 a month and the guy is a multiple former WBC world champ (Den Junlaphan).
For learning technique - I notice there's just so many gyms where you go and do your 3 rounds on pads and bags and whatever else and really get tought not that much. It does annoy me as there is so much I wanna learn. I trained at Attachai muay Thai a few weeks ago in Bangkok and noticed they were teaching some technique there and also some hard clinching sessions with the Thai guys.
From the videos I have seen Yokkao looks like a good gym to learn at as well and saenchai is there also which is epic.
Maybe that info will help someone in future anyway.

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I forgot about this thread for awhile.
You asked me about gyms in Phuket. I can see your also looking for good technical training. I used to train at Tiger muay Thai in Chalong back before that street fully exploded. People say it's too commercial but my memories of the place were good. We were sparring and doing clinch work every second day plus work on techniques and a good regimen of pushups and situps to finish.
Since then that whole street has built up and expanded a lot and theres a plethora of options there. It is probably the best area for boxing in the world. Phuket top team looks good but never tried it.
These days when I goto Phuket I stay in Patong. I train at Pho Tong gym (has a FB) because it is cheaper than the others. It is typical kicking pads and not much learning techniques or actual instruction. Sitsongpeenong is probably where I would go these days. Never been there but have heard good things. In my mind Singpatong gym up on the hill overlooking Patong is probably the toughest gym in Phuket. They have a lot of good fighters and success. It is less touristy and more fight orientated and they have to run down the hill through Patong and back up hill twice a day.
Seems like you found your gym anyway and sounds good.
I did read something about 40,000 baht somewhere. That sounds very very excessive. By comparison in Pattaya you could have quite a good room (at fairtex) and train at fairtex for 25,000 a month and fairtex are quite expensive.
I train at a place called Eagle gym which is a 10 minute walk from Fairtex and it is just 6000 a month and the guy is a multiple former WBC world champ (Den Junlaphan).
For learning technique - I notice there's just so many gyms where you go and do your 3 rounds on pads and bags and whatever else and really get tought not that much. It does annoy me as there is so much I wanna learn. I trained at Attachai muay Thai a few weeks ago in Bangkok and noticed they were teaching some technique there and also some hard clinching sessions with the Thai guys.
From the videos I have seen Yokkao looks like a good gym to learn at as well and saenchai is there also which is epic.
Maybe that info will help someone in future anyway.

yep.. this is good info , atleast for future posters and lookers

I have a question to pose which might sound trifling, but that has been nagging me for a while now.
As I am preparing to train in Thailand in the fall, for about 4 weeks, in a serious gym, I have come to ask myself if it is worth investing some money in private sessions or not. The thing is, I am a beginner, I have never really trained Muay Thai and I would like to become good at it; I am in a very good physical shape, I train five to six times a week (push ups, sit ups, run, mountain climbing as well as some bag work by myself in my basement). What I wonder is if private classes might be useful for somebody like me or, given the fact that I am at the very beginning, group sessions would suffice.
And finally, let's say I will opt for spending some money in private classes, would you recommend me having them from the very beginning of my stay in Thailand or more towards the end, when the basics have been covered in the group sessions? thank you

Back