Training Muay Thai in Phuket

Anklepicker67

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m going out to Thailand the beginning of January to start 2-3 months of Muay Thai training.
I have done a lot of research and plan on starting off in Phuket to train at Sinbi Muay Thai.
However... Many people say that Phuket is not a nice place - as I want to be able to visit the beach regularly and relax aswell.
Would I be better going to koh phangan to experience this kind of lifestyle? As I have heard that Phuket has became a tourist trap.
Diamond Muay Thai is an option in Koh Phangan at the moment.
Cheers,
Luke

Phuket does not have many tourist attractions this is true.
More Phuket not as dangerous as in other area of Thailand. Hey I'll give you a hint the best gym in Phuket is the Sitsongpeenong Phuket Muaythai

Hey mate I'm leaving in exactly 2 weeks too. Originally I thought Phuket because of the beach and all but then I thought to myself there's beaches in Australia anyways..... I'm going to Thailand to train... so yeah I'll be going with a matie to this gym in the outskirts of Bangkok instead. I heard from him and a few good maties that go to Thailand (training) regularly that if you want the party life or touristy life whilst training Phuket will be more ideal.

SItsongpeenong phuket is the highest quality gym there.

If you’re further south there is Naka Muay Thai which is a great place for people who want English instruction.

Hello,

I’m going out to Thailand the beginning of January to start 2-3 months of Muay Thai training.
I have done a lot of research and plan on starting off in Phuket to train at Sinbi Muay Thai.
However... Many people say that Phuket is not a nice place - as I want to be able to visit the beach regularly and relax aswell.
Would I be better going to koh phangan to experience this kind of lifestyle? As I have heard that Phuket has became a tourist trap.
Cheers,
Luke

A really good gym in Koh Phangan is Namsaknoi MT. I would have recommended it (and went there myself) as Namsaknoi was one of the longest reigning champions in Thailand. However, I heard Namsaknoi has since left.

I've heard mixed reviews about Sitsongpeenong Phuket. I know the Bangkok location is legit and had several very notable fighters but I heard the Phuket location was more of a tourist trap.

I heard that its kind of good to go to thailand during the winter, but you don't get as much attention from the instructors because of high season, i was planning on going in jan too, but i got my friends birthday and her sons birthday, and my birthday coming up between jan and mid april so i was going to go during the spring, so may or june, would i get some one on one attention from the gyms from may-august? I've been planning this trip for nearly 2 years and money issues have become a problem yet again this year.

A really good gym in Koh Phangan is Namsaknoi MT. I would have recommended it (and went there myself) as Namsaknoi was one of the longest reigning champions in Thailand. However, I heard Namsaknoi has since left.

I've heard mixed reviews about Sitsongpeenong Phuket. I know the Bangkok location is legit and had several very notable fighters but I heard the Phuket location was more of a tourist trap.

Yeah I had heard of Namsaknoi and read some great reviews although I have also read that he has left and for this reason it is no longer worth going to the gym.

Im landing in Phuket so thought its only right to check the place out although from what I am hearing it is a BIG tourist trap

Phuket does not have many tourist attractions this is true.
More Phuket not as dangerous as in other area of Thailand. Hey I'll give you a hint the best gym in Phuket is the Sitsongpeenong Phuket Muaythai

Are you nuts!! It has a whole stretch of beer bars and some strange guys that will hire you someone else's jet ski........

The Aussie tourists are almost an attraction in themselves.......

I bet you work for the Pattaya tourist board!!

Are you nuts!! It has a whole stretch of beer bars and some strange guys that will hire you someone else's jet ski........

I'm talking because I trained at this place.

All local and dangerous if you do not know how it behaves

Off the topic, how do you guys survive those 12+ hours flight to Thailand? I really would like to go, but I struggle with 5 hours up in the air.

I just got back from Thailand! I went to Phuket Top Team. It's in the Chalong area of Phuket on opposite side of the island away from Bangla Road (aka the bar street). This gym is located on the same road (Soi Ta-iad) as Tiger MT and Dragon MT. They have a really good gym to learn and train at. Most of the trainers can speak pretty good English. I'd recommend doing the class session and a private session. This was my 2nd visit back to PTT & I trained with Kru Pat. The classes are good because of the different levels of sparring partners you get & the privates are good to focus on your techniques/setups. I also went to the Fairtex Center( trained with Yodbungjong Fairtex) & Petchruangrung Boxing Gym(trained with Kru Nu) in Pattaya, and then the Yokkao Center (trained with Manachai) in Bangkok.

Hello,

Cheers,
Luke

You'll be fine with Sinbi and beaches...Phuket is what you make it out to be

Not long back from Phuket, was training at Rattachai (Road over from Soi Taied).

Training was excellent, the place is what you make it. For me it was really about training so was only out and about for food and heading to the gym. Soi Taied has everything you need for eating clean and staying healthy when you are there.

The problem with Phuket is that it is such a big tourist destinations. It's ok if you want to pick up foreign girls, like Aussies that frequent the clubs... but all the nastiest Thai girls go to the tourist places to find foreigners. I suggest training in a college town like Chiang Mai which will have better girls. The most important part about training Muay Thai is the women as any local Thai trainer will tell you.

Hello everybody thanks for the replies.

I am currently training at Sinbi Muay Thai. I have completed one week here and the training is excellent... Which has encouraged me to book a further 2 weeks. This time staying at the Sinbi apartments.
I have received a lot of one-on-one attention from the coaches throughout every class who all make a strong effort to point out mistakes I am making on the pads and help me improve.
The classes will push your cardiovascular system and I must admit after 1 week here I feel amazing. I am building relationships with the coaches and they are all extremely tourist friendly.
Ignore all the "tourist gym" phrases as it is a lot of BS. These guys know how to train and do not mess around. Come here and listen to the coaches and your fight game will improve vastly!
There is food available in the area and there is a nice beach in the area aswell although I would recommend a moped if you come here or any gym in Phuket due to the nature of the area - you can rent them from the gym.
Opportunities are available to fight if you have experience and feel ready for it.

I have journaled each day here and will be getting it online at the end of my stay.

Hope this helps

Back