Training of a Lineman, my program

Phlog

Sgt Sprinkles
@Gold
Reaction score
I thought I'd share my program because I don't see much about lifting for sport online, it's usually bodybuilding or powerlifting. Probably it's because sport specific training becomes just that: specific, and by the time an athlete is adapting training for their sport their usually far enough down the road that their training more reflects their bodies needs and deficits.

Nevertheless I would have found it useful to see it detailed so here we are. My S&C coach just graduated his masters in S&C and is continuing in research. The program is built on a foundation of 3 years of so of the 4 big compound lifts, running juggernaut, reaching a point where hypertrophy is no longer lacking.

Warmup: medicine slam ball throws and slams, quality over quantity, work up to main lift to start workout.

Monday:
Military press 4x4 85-90% 1Rm
Single arm barbell lever press 4x6
Incline press with 3 sec isometric hold at bottom 4xfailure
Upperbody conditioning stuff
Leg curls for hypertrophy

Tuesday:
Hurdle jumps max of 200ms floor contact
Push jerk 3x3 65% 1RM
Squat 4x4 85-90% 1RM sometimes pin squats or banded squats.
Weighted lunges 4x6 each leg

Wednesday:
Arm day baby, just some fun whatever I fancy.

Thursday:
Eccentric drop squats, progressing higher and into immediate jumping forwards over weeks.
Back extensions
Deadlift (Hex bar) 4x4 85-90% 1RM
Split squats 4x6 75-80%
GHR or leg curls

Friday:
Bench, close grip (juggernaut)
Pull, bent over, same as bench
Pull 4x12, cable, row, lever etc.
Dips 4xfailure or weighted

With the deadlifts and squats I'm progressing into chains, bands and using pins to train heavier in the upper ranges of the motion. I'm training more leg curls depending on feel of knees. This is power phase after a hypertrophy phase, going to work on cardio Nov/Dec then training camp begins January.

Yeah I was wondering about load intensity and if you're using periodization, because of the high load and frequency. I guess for a power/max strength block during off season it's pretty manageable. How's your recovery?

Looks like a pretty solid program for covering the basics. There's always stuff that could be changed around, or removed and added, but honestly it looks good. Especially if you are managing it well.

Offensive Lineman is a very cool position. Lots of fun stuff to do in regards to S&C.

Yeah I was wondering about load intensity and if you're using periodization, because of the high load and frequency. I guess for a power/max strength block during off season it's pretty manageable. How's your recovery?

Looks like a pretty solid program for covering the basics. There's always stuff that could be changed around, or removed and added, but honestly it looks good. Especially if you are managing it well.

Offensive Lineman is a very cool position. Lots of fun stuff to do in regards to S&C.

Broadly I'm finding recovery fine, the heavy deadlifts can cause a low the next day particularly if I do as many as possible on last set, which is usually my behaviour. I'm having to let that go with the power stuff.

I am really enjoying it, it's real fun to play around after a few years of lift and repeat!

I'm wondering about the periodisation myself, gonna ask him, but currently just planning to run for 3 weeks, deload then assess 1RM in first week of 2nd block.

Single Arm Barbell Lever Press; is that another name for Landmine Press?

Single Arm Barbell Lever Press; is that another name for Landmine Press?

Good question, I should have clarified, I do it from a 1/4 squat position and leaning in to the bar so it's a press rather than a chest press. Out if all of it, that's the most fun exercise, it feels great.

Good question, I should have clarified, I do it from a 1/4 squat position and leaning in to the bar so it's a press rather than a chest press. Out if all of it, that's the most fun exercise, it feels great.

Yeah, I love me some Landmine Press. Depending on the variation, you can use it work the whole body, for example with a Thruster, or a strict press. Very versatile piece of kit, and easy on the shoulder.

I fucking love 4x4. Probably the best strength gains I’ve seen out of the kids I’ve trained.

Just to keep this rolling because it's a fresh and original. Here's a template for a program I'm working on right now.

Attribute: Striking
Block: Power
Phase: Sports Specific
Frequency: 3 Workouts a Week.

Workout A:
Warmup: Dynamic stability/mobility, A skips/B skips + lateral skips
Modified shotput drill
Resisted or assisted band straights

Split Stance Bosch Clean 3x3 30-40% 1RM both sides
Hang Power Clean 3x1 + Power Jerk 3x3 30-40% 1RM
Glute Ham Raise 3x6 BW

2 sets of circuit:
- Eccentric Lateral Step Ups, Isometric Pallof Press and Deadbugs
End with stretching and breathing

Workout B:
Warmup: Dynamic stability/mobility, light shadowboxing/speedball, medball/broom hip rotations
Resisted or assisted band hooks

Medball Rainbow Slams 3x8
Squats 3x3 80-90% 1RM (+/- accentuated eccentric at 105-110% 1RM)
Split Stance Landmine Press 3x3 80-90% 1RM
Reverse Barbell Lunges 3x8 60-75% 1RM each leg

2 sets circuit:
- 3 min Skipping, Lat Pullovers (+/- assisted eccentric) and Seated HSR Calf Raises

Workout C:
Warmup: Bike 10-15 min, dynamic stability/mobility, alternating ankle bouncing, skiers
Squats 3x5 70-80% 1RM
OHP 3x5 70-80% 1RM
Romanian Deadlift 2x10 70-80% 1RM
Eccentric Single Leg Hip Thrust 3x5 70-80% 1RM

2 sets of circuit:
- 3 min Skipping, Renegade Rows and Lateral Steps w/ band

One workout might be substituted with Heavy Bag work and/or band drills. Circuits can be skipped if needed.

Last edited:
I thought I'd share my program because I don't see much about lifting for sport online, it's usually bodybuilding or powerlifting. Probably it's because sport specific training becomes just that: specific, and by the time an athlete is adapting training for their sport their usually far enough down the road that their training more reflects their bodies needs and deficits.

Nevertheless I would have found it useful to see it detailed so here we are. My S&C coach just graduated his masters in S&C and is continuing in research. The program is built on a foundation of 3 years of so of the 4 big compound lifts, running juggernaut, reaching a point where hypertrophy is no longer lacking.

Warmup: medicine slam ball throws and slams, quality over quantity, work up to main lift to start workout.

Monday:
Military press 4x4 85-90% 1Rm
Single arm barbell lever press 4x6
Incline press with 3 sec isometric hold at bottom 4xfailure
Upperbody conditioning stuff
Leg curls for hypertrophy

Tuesday:
Hurdle jumps max of 200ms floor contact
Push jerk 3x3 65% 1RM
Squat 4x4 85-90% 1RM sometimes pin squats or banded squats.
Weighted lunges 4x6 each leg

Wednesday:
Arm day baby, just some fun whatever I fancy.

Thursday:
Eccentric drop squats, progressing higher and into immediate jumping forwards over weeks.
Back extensions
Deadlift (Hex bar) 4x4 85-90% 1RM
Split squats 4x6 75-80%
GHR or leg curls

Friday:
Bench, close grip (juggernaut)
Pull, bent over, same as bench
Pull 4x12, cable, row, lever etc.
Dips 4xfailure or weighted

With the deadlifts and squats I'm progressing into chains, bands and using pins to train heavier in the upper ranges of the motion. I'm training more leg curls depending on feel of knees. This is power phase after a hypertrophy phase, going to work on cardio Nov/Dec then training camp begins January.

I like the look of this.

Just an update, I finished my power block and have been through a cardio block pre season, now I've instigated a undulating program to try and maintain gains in season.

Squats have been replaced with split squats and step ups, barbells with dumbbells, deadlifts from pins and there's a while bunch of slam ball and sled work. There's some very specific weighted rotational movements using cables and bands so as to be able to turn D linemen where I want them that's paying off a lot.

This is the first time I've taken such a sport and season specific approach and it's helped loads. So far I'm dominating my position against our defence in practice, strength and cardio are on point. Attention to the hamstrings has led to a increase in top speed when sprinting so much so that I'm having to refrain from going all out while the quads get used to greater forces. I'm the heaviest I've been too at about 275lbs with little fat.

The only wrinkle is that I have had a return of petafemoral pain in the knees this week after training on 4g. We're on it for another few weeks so I'll likely go real easy on the running at practice and see if I can get it under control. I'm peaking so I just need to maintain and refine timing and technique.

Last edited:
Just an update, I finished my power block and have been through a cardio block pre season, now I've instigated a undulating program to try and maintain gains in season.

Squats have been replaced with split squats and step ups, barbells with dumbbells, deadlifts from pins and there's a while bunch of slam ball and sled work. There's some very specific weighted rotational movements using cables and bands so as to be able to turn D linemen where I want them that's paying off a lot.

This is the first time I've taken such a sport and season specific approach and it's helped loads. So far I'm dominating my position against our defence in practice, strength and cardio are on point. Attention to the hamstrings has led to a increase in top speed when sprinting so much so that I'm having to refrain from going all out while the quads get used to greater forces. I'm the heaviest I've been too at about 275lbs with little fat.

The only wrinkle is that I have had a return of petafemoral pain in the knees this week after training on 4g. We're on it for another few weeks so I'll likely go real easy on the running at practice and see if I can get it under control. I'm peaking so I just need to maintain and refine timing and technique.

I bet i can still sack your qb

I played for like 2 seasons here as a defensive end and my record was like 8 sacks in one game, my high point in my athletic career lmao.My dream was to "jump" over offensive line to sack the qb

Btw if kicking ass on the national level gets boring you can try out for uks international football team(just to give some motivation and goals)

I went to try out back in the day but didnt get chosen in my country

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on the cardio block. I am returning to soccer after 6 months brake and I have no clue how to build one. And I will need to lose some weight, gain some enduarance and speed.

Season is starting in a month. But I will perhaps not play 90 mins first 2 weeks.

Sounds great! Have other people on the team noticed a change?

I bet i can still sack your qb

I played for like 2 seasons here as a defensive end and my record was like 8 sacks in one game, my high point in my athletic career lmao.My dream was to "jump" over offensive line to sack the qb

Btw if kicking ass on the national level gets boring you can try out for uks international football team(just to give some motivation and goals)

I went to try out back in the day but didnt get chosen in my country

And I would like to try and stop you they've changed the rules now I don't think you're allowed to jump over the line, although that might just be on kicks.

I'm putting together footage for a international squad application. My head coach asked me to do it. It would be fun to get a spot on a team like that at my age. Tbh whilst I rise to the competition and won't let anyone beat me, what I really enjoy is being able to beat up people smaller or less athletic than me and still be able to go to work the next day. The few times I've had to deal with top flight DEs it's been pretty ugly and it takes a while to heal up!

Can you elaborate on the cardio block. I am returning to soccer after 6 months brake and I have no clue how to build one. And I will need to lose some weight, gain some enduarance and speed.

Season is starting in a month. But I will perhaps not play 90 mins first 2 weeks.

Man that's a totally different requirement than for me but fwiw I was doing circuits of HIIT using kettle bells, jumps, sleds, battle ropes etc etc twice a week, a couple of steady state runs a week and a session of sprints with direction changes mixed in. My sport is 6 seconds of max effort and then 20 seconds off so a cardio block for me was kinda doing literally any cardio. This year was the best though, had a proper coach doing it all.

Maybe something from this site: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/performance/training/how-improve-stamina-football

Sounds great! Have other people on the team noticed a change?

It is! The most concrete metric is that my sprint speeds are faster than our tight ends, who's job is to run a lot. Another less objective measures is that our defensive ends have complained about bruised ribs from a week prior and have asked me to go easy on them which is a first, that's complicated by a development of the technique tho. I used to strike as a shock and to gain leverage or disturb balance, now I am mixing in striking for damage, it's going to destroy people over a game.

And I would like to try and stop you they've changed the rules now I don't think you're allowed to jump over the line, although that might just be on kicks.

I'm putting together footage for a international squad application. My head coach asked me to do it. It would be fun to get a spot on a team like that at my age. Tbh whilst I rise to the competition and won't let anyone beat me, what I really enjoy is being able to beat up people smaller or less athletic than me and still be able to go to work the next day. The few times I've had to deal with top flight DEs it's been pretty ugly and it takes a while to heal up!

My teammate back then was on international team,said it was a fun experience to have even though you get absolute shit kicked out of you.

Also he said wait till you play against the americans,thats when shit really hits the fan lmao

My teammate back then was on international team,said it was a fun experience to have even though you get absolute shit kicked out of you.

Also he said wait till you play against the americans,thats when shit really hits the fan lmao

Yeah, I've played against one DE who was 6'6 300+lbs and played internationally, he was really pissed I stopped him all game coming from a div 2 team, I was mainly just going backwards plowing a furrow with my back foot but I got in his way enough. I went to the doc after cos I had internal bleeding down my arm from the bicep and had a game in a week. Doc said I looked like the car crash victims he dealt with. Luckily the next team was a walk in the park!

<{jackyeah}>

Yeah, I've played against one DE who was 6'6 300+lbs and played internationally, he was really pissed I stopped him all game coming from a div 2 team, I was mainly just going backwards plowing a furrow with my back foot but I got in his way enough. I went to the doc after cos I had internal bleeding down my arm from the bicep and had a game in a week. Doc said I looked like the car crash victims he dealt with. Luckily the next team was a walk in the park!

<{jackyeah}>
Remember to take care of yourself as well mate. Tough sport.

Sounds solid with training though, glad it's working out well!

Remember to take care of yourself as well mate. Tough sport.

Sounds solid with training though, glad it's working out well!

I do as much as possible. Bought a bicep guard for the next game just in case.

A large part of what makes the sport great is how tough it is. Playing through pain makes you stronger in life. Obviously tendon or bone issues you stop, to a degree.

In my first game in the premiership I broke my hand in the 3rd play and played for 1.5hrs after that, just balled it into a fist. I was being given a chance to play and needed to make good. For me and my team. I was young and dumb, it wasn't sensible but it was something I look fondly on now.

I don't have so much to prove now and I'd sit out as soon as I realised, but doing the hard thing is what it's about as a man imo. I'd trade the opportunity to do so for very little. Old age is gonna be a bitch but that's another challenge I relish.

Thanks.

Back