Training videos at a gym

Sano

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Hey guys. I did some proper training for once yesterday and had my phone record. I compiled the second video because it was basicly 40 minutes of working on stuff and talking about concepts. I really like these private lessons when I get the chance because I can actually work on stuff and the people there are great coaches. Head is feeling totally fine now hitting both bags and pads, and neck is hardly an issue *knock on wood*. Maybe there's hope for some contact training yet, but I'm still learning and improving regardless so it's great to just get a good workout in.

Any comments as always is much appreciated.

Shadowboxing:

Working on drills. Slips, rolls, blocks, cross hook, hop steps to an angle while slipping and countering:

Last edited:
Really good coching. I am impressed. Good pad work, good drilling. Good stuff. I really liked how you have been coached to not slip from out to in to the 1-2, but slip out and convert it to a weave... otherwise that cross catches you.

Your mechanics have always been really good. But I can see them way more improved now. Like text book technique almost.
How do you train atm, you look really well?

Really good coching. I am impressed. Good pad work, good drilling. Good stuff. I really liked how you have been coached to not slip from out to in to the 1-2, but slip out and convert it to a weave... otherwise that cross catches you.

Your mechanics have always been really good. But I can see them way more improved now. Like text book technique almost.
How do you train atm, you look really well?
Thanks for the comment and kind words my man. Yeah physically I'm doing good. Training and moving more, and I feel better than I have in a long time! The coaching is excellent there, and the guy is a beast as well. I vibe well with him and he's a smart guy too so that adds to it. He's trying to get me to be more positive and have more belief in what I can do because he says I'm very talented. I do tend to be overly skeptical of myself and nothing is never really good enough, so it's kind of like a doubled edged sword. I used to think that it helped me, but he thinks it's actually holding me back, so I'm trying to be more confident in my abilities.

Always looking to improve though and now is a good time to put it all together! I'll get some money together and hopefully have a session with him every second week. Maybe I'll join a gym again, I'm feeling more and more ready.

Hope you are doing well btw!

really nice footwork. Got that catlike soft bounce to your feet.

really nice footwork. Got that catlike soft bounce to your feet.
Thank you good sir.

I'm 6'2 about 205lbs and I walk and run rather heavily, but when I move around in a fighting stance I'm somehow much more fleet footed. The track and field drills I have started doing some time ago, along with actually starting working on running economy and technique have helped a great deal.

Last edited:
The track and field drills I have started doing some time ago, along with actually starting working on running economy and technique have helped a great deal.

Would you mind sharing the source and how you can incorporate track and field exercises to improve footwork, please? I have seen some football exercises to improve it, but nothing else. Thanks!

Would you mind sharing the source and how you can incorporate track and field exercises to improve footwork, please? I have seen some football exercises to improve it, but nothing else. Thanks!
I firmly believe that the best way to improve your footwork is to work on your footwork more. The basics, slow it down, get in the rhythm, use cones and move in and out and so forth. Especially work on your lateral movement and keeping your stance and balance while moving. The Cuban Boxing Fundamentals thread had some really solid videos: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/cuban-boxing-fundamentals.3780639/

Personally I do enjoy doing S&C stuff because I'm a bit of an exercise geek, and it does have some benefits. When it comes to track, I keep it to the basics. Variations of skips and ankle bounds. Work on walking A skips, and then when you get the form down pick up the tempo and do it at higher speeds and with the switch in the air. Also laterally you can do some sidelunges and the like to start with, before going into lateral jumps on a box or speed skater variations. Being stable with a good body alignment is key, if you can't absorb the landings and control your body alignment, scale down the exercises. Just moving laterally and changing angles works too, you can fit in some footwork drills specificly for that purpose. I know some of these might not make obvious sense if you don't know the exercises, but I cant be arsed to post pictures and the like right now.

Besides the above mentioned, working on softer landings and running with better technique helps a lot too.

Btw, just want to post this vid because her form is beautiful:

Some of the exercises are useful too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment and kind words my man. Yeah physically I'm doing good. Training and moving more, and I feel better than I have in a long time! The coaching is excellent there, and the guy is a beast as well. I vibe well with him and he's a smart guy too so that adds to it. He's trying to get me to be more positive and have more belief in what I can do because he says I'm very talented. I do tend to be overly skeptical of myself and nothing is never really good enough, so it's kind of like a doubled edged sword. I used to think that it helped me, but he thinks it's actually holding me back, so I'm trying to be more confident in my abilities.

Always looking to improve though and now is a good time to put it all together! I'll get some money together and hopefully have a session with him every second week. Maybe I'll join a gym again, I'm feeling more and more ready.

Hope you are doing well btw!
Mentality is important. When I play soccer I want to prove I am the best and play like I own the pitch the ball and the teams and I play well.

Well I was doing a preseason that was going alright but two nights ago I ... a Romanian girl with an AC blowing on my ass now my ass feels like its been kicked for hours and I can barely walk. Missed the first friendly game which sux.

Hey guys. I did some proper training for once yesterday and had my phone record. I compiled the second video because it was basicly 40 minutes of working on stuff and talking about concepts. I really like these private lessons when I get the chance because I can actually work on stuff and the people there are great coaches. Head is feeling totally fine now hitting both bags and pads, and neck is hardly an issue *knock on wood*. Maybe there's hope for some contact training yet, but I'm still learning and improving regardless so it's great to just get a good workout in.

Any comments as always is much appreciated.

Shadowboxing:

Working on drills. Slips, rolls, blocks, cross hook, hop steps to an angle while slipping and countering:

looking pretty sharp man, looked like you were cramming your punches a bit. I also dont like the weight distribution of your stance, the very first roll you did in the 2nd vid, when you came up, your weight was too far back, a slight push would have made you stumble backwards. Weight not too far back in the feet, but in the back/hips. Because you have that erect back and your weight is evenly distributed on your feet, the pivoting point on your body is at the hip.

this is the only thing I could find online to illustrate my point, would be so much easier if I could train with you in real life rather then over the net. Anyways we can see here that the pivoting point is the hips, the weight is too far back, and it wouldnt take much to push backwards and fall

Tip-Stop-Leaning-Back-on-the-Deadlift.jpg

i know you like to move your head around and all that but even on something like the pull counter where you lean back, the weight is still staying over the center of the body more. Check mayweather at about 31 second of the video, even at the max of the pull back, weight still over the center of the body.

the whole thing with this is if you get off balance, you cant defend yourself and thats when its my turn to hit you with something big.

@Sano

Did you have a serious lower back injury? Looks like you are always in hyperlordosis position. Would be easier to spot without a shirt but that imo could be the reason for your a little strange upright spine positioning as upper back then is positioned slightly behind your center which leads to @shincheckin point of view.

Its really difficult to say by watching video but you throwing the overhand is
Imo annother good example that there seems to be a lack of ROM in the lower back.

@Sano

Did you have a serious lower back injury? Looks like you are always in hyperlordosis position. Would be easier to spot without a shirt but that imo could be the reason for your a little strange upright spine positioning as upper back then is positioned slightly behind your center which leads to @shincheckin point of view.

Imo annother good example that there seems to be a lack of ROM in the lower back.

That was the very first thing that stood out to me the first time I ever saw a video of @Sano , his back is awkwardly "erect". I had a difficult time explaining my point of view but seems you understood it well.

looking pretty sharp man, looked like you were cramming your punches a bit. I also dont like the weight distribution of your stance, the very first roll you did in the 2nd vid, when you came up, your weight was too far back, a slight push would have made you stumble backwards. Weight not too far back in the feet, but in the back/hips. Because you have that erect back and your weight is evenly distributed on your feet, the pivoting point on your body is at the hip.

this is the only thing I could find online to illustrate my point, would be so much easier if I could train with you in real life rather then over the net. Anyways we can see here that the pivoting point is the hips, the weight is too far back, and it wouldnt take much to push backwards and fall

Tip-Stop-Leaning-Back-on-the-Deadlift.jpg

i know you like to move your head around and all that but even on something like the pull counter where you lean back, the weight is still staying over the center of the body more. Check mayweather at about 31 second of the video, even at the max of the pull back, weight still over the center of the body.

the whole thing with this is if you get off balance, you cant defend yourself and thats when its my turn to hit you with something big.

I get what you're saying, but in regards to Mayweather he puts his weight back behind his center all the time when he's playing defense. Sometimes he uses the ropes, but he does it in the middle of the ring too. The reason why he's not on the pull counter is because he is deliberately putting his weight forward before he pulls to bait the counter, so when he pulls back he has enough space to have his legs under him. I'm not Floyd and I'm not delusional enough to think that what works for him, works for me, but it's something he does. He knows when to do it and when not to do it:

I know what you mean that you are easier to push back, that's when you can move in or take an angle, or change your stance to a more front foot heavy one. I like having my weight a little more back, it gives me control and greater range, but it's definitely not perfect. It's pretty deliberate, same with my erect posture. It's Karate/eastern block inspired. At the same time my hips are pretty stiff so I want to keep practicing using them more and I understand what you mean about keeping balance. I do look a stiff in my posture but my muscles are very relaxed. It's a little weird.

@Sano

No injury and no pain. I think what you're seeing as hyperlordosis is more my ass making it seem worse than it is. I'm definitely not flatbacked in my lumbar spine though and I agree at times I sway a little. However, I am less kyphotic and more flat in my t spine and I also have above average extension so that's probably what makes it seem as erect as it is. As I said to shin, it's on purpose. I used to be front foot heavy bad posture and this feels 10 times better and makes my straight punches much smoother. Pros and cons though and I'm not opposed to playing with other variations.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, but in regards to Mayweather he puts his weight back behind his center all the time when he's playing defense. Sometimes he uses the ropes, but he does it in the middle of the ring too. The reason why he's not on the pull counter is because he is deliberately putting his weight forward before he pulls to bait the counter, so when he pulls back he has enough space to have his legs under him. I'm not Floyd and I'm not delusional enough to think that what works for him, works for me, but it's something he does. He knows when to do it and when not to do it:

I know what you mean that you are easier to push back, that's when you can move in or take an angle, or change your stance to a more front foot heavy one. I like having my weight a little more back, it gives me control and greater range, but it's definitely not perfect. It's pretty deliberate, same with my erect posture. It's Karate/eastern block inspired. At the same time my hips are pretty stiff so I want to keep practicing using them more and I understand what you mean about keeping balance. I do look a stiff in my posture but my muscles are very relaxed. It's a little weird.

No injury and no pain. I think what you're seeing as hyperlordosis is more my ass making it seem worse than it is. I'm definitely not flatbacked in my lumbar spine though. However, I am less kyphotic and more flat in my t spine and I also have above average extension so that's probably what makes it seem as erect as it is. As I said to shin, it's on purpose. I used to be front foot heavy bad posture and this feels 10 times better and makes my straight punches much smoother. Pros and cons though and I'm not opposed to playing with other variations.

where you located man? It would be so much easier if we could train together for both my points of view as well as yours. I know me and you have talked about your stance quite a bit already so its kinda water under the bridge or what not.

where you located man? It would be so much easier if we could train together for both my points of view as well as yours. I know me and you have talked about your stance quite a bit already so its kinda water under the bridge or what not.
Far away from you I'd guess, I live in Denmark in the Capital. Would be awesome though, I think I know what you mean already but I'm sure IRL it would be much easier to get the point accross. Would be cool training either way!

Far away from you I'd guess, I live in Denmark in the Capital. Would be awesome though, I think I know what you mean already but I'm sure IRL it would be much easier to get the point accross. Would be cool training either way!

Yeah man your just another country away lol. Just drive on over I'll meet you at the gym at 5 haha

sano you look great ! all that work on your own has kept you sharp. You'd kick my ass for sure.

You look fairly smooth with your movement, but you look rigid. Anyone know some drills or anything to help him loosen up?

You're also putting your heels on the ground a lot, and when you step forward/jab you land on your heel. This is costing you balance and power.

Back