Training Volume vs Training Frequency

Tiki Taka

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hi,

I was looking to get some feedback and opinions on the following: is it better to train more frequently (meaning more days) or with more volume (more mat time in less days)?

Specific scenario (that I'm actually weighing in selecting a new school) is this:

OPTION A - Attend six classes that are each 1.5 hours each = 9 hours mat time spread out over 6 days

OPTION B - Attend four classes that are two hours each and one 1-hour class = 9 hours mat time condensed into 5 days.

Eager to read everyone's thoughts.

If you can train 6 days a week and yur in good enough shape that your body will not break down.... you need to get a job .

Just kidding. Both are really good. There have only been 2 guys I have ever known that can train 6 days a week, hard and be consistent for years. Are you a newbie? Which school gives the best instruction. Fits your personality, etc

Hi,

I was looking to get some feedback and opinions on the following: is it better to train more frequently (meaning more days) or with more volume (more mat time in less days)?

Specific scenario (that I'm actually weighing in selecting a new school) is this:

OPTION A - Attend six classes that are each 1.5 hours each = 9 hours mat time spread out over 6 days

OPTION B - Attend four classes that are two hours each and one 1-hour class = 9 hours mat time condensed into 5 days.

Eager to read everyone's thoughts.
More frequency. Later on when you;re more exp'd, the volume will help.

Whichever option makes you feel better rested before the next practice. It is all personal.

Only you can answer your question...

Depends on your skill, experience and physical conditioning you do off the mat.

Depends on the group you'll be training with, flailing newbies or dedicated competition teammates.

How much you sleep and what you eat.

Your body will break, it's the skill and awareness of finding and then skating that edge.....

Personally i don't like to roll more than 1 hour / 1 hour and a half at a high pace, but if it's normal class most of the time you are listening to your instructor and drilling moves.

If you need to chose a school there a lot more important parameters.

I will weigh in on this because I always trained 90 minute practices, and have trained 2 hour practices for the last 8 months or so.

I think an hour of drilling and an hour of live is too much. I can handle it physically but I get bored, and if we are drilling something I dont like or dont use, I am miserable. Im basically just waiting to roll.

On the flip side, its way more economical from a time stand point. Driving time, warm ups, prep time, laundry time, all of that adds up. I didnt realize that until I upped my volume and decreased my frequency.

I will weigh in on this because I always trained 90 minute practices, and have trained 2 hour practices for the last 8 months or so.

I think an hour of drilling and an hour of live is too much. I can handle it physically but I get bored, and if we are drilling something I dont like or dont use, I am miserable. Im basically just waiting to roll.

On the flip side, its way more economical from a time stand point. Driving time, warm ups, prep time, laundry time, all of that adds up. I didnt realize that until I upped my volume and decreased my frequency.

Big one for me. 90 minutes of BJJ is actually 3-4 hours of your time. It adds up fast.

This is the thing. Frequency is cool if some days are basically just drill days/ working out. No one trains hard as fck 6 days a week. They break it up into drills and SnC

I would rather four days at two hours a day and have the fifth day as optional. This gives you some time to recover. Also, on the off days you can do some lifting or other exercises that are good for your body instead of the bjj.

I am 38 and six days a week isn't something I could realistically maintain. If you are younger you could probably keep that schedule.

I think the more important thing is to find a schedule you can keep for a long period of time.

Back