Traveling in Vietnam (Update)

I would recommend:
If you have any questions, let me know.

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions bro. They all look awesome. I'm definitely going to check out Quan an Ngon and Sen Buffet. I can't wrap my head around how cheap things are there. Apparently the buffet costs around 2 bucks? And it looks like a really nice place too. That's crazy.

i'm going to Ho Chi Minh city on the 22nd of January only for 4 days though then we're going to Thailand. Any good things to see and do in the city on such a short stay? obviously we are going partying and we are staying right around the corner of the nightmarkets

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions bro. They all look awesome. I'm definitely going to check out Quan an Ngon and Sen Buffet. I can't wrap my head around how cheap things are there. Apparently the buffet costs around 2 bucks? And it looks like a really nice place too. That's crazy.

The buffets are amazing. The buffets will be more pricey (around 300,000VND = $13.2054/person), but it is a great way to try different types of Vietnamese cuisine, and the quality of the food is 4 to 5 stars in the states.

Nha Hang Ngon/Quan an Ngon are restaurants that serve Vietnamese street food, restaurant style.

If you are going to try street food, make sure it is a place with a lot of locals. It means they trust it.

If you are looking for comfort food like hamburgers and pizza, you will be disappointed. Only drink out of unopened cans/bottles.

Make sure to install a translator app on your phone, because most locals do not speak English.

Almost everything there can be bartered, so if you are looking to buy souvenirs, remember that if you negotiate in a respectful way, you can get it for cheaper.

Last edited:
The buffets are amazing. The buffets will be more pricey (around 300,000VND = $13.2054/person), but it is a great way to try different types of Vietnamese cuisine, and the quality of the food is 4 to 5 stars in the states.

Nha Hang Ngon/Quan an Ngon are restaurants that serve Vietnamese street food, restaurant style.

If you are going to try street food, make sure it is a place with a lot of locals. It means they trust it.

If you are looking for comfort food like hamburgers and pizza, you will be disappointed. Only drink out of unopened cans/bottles.

Make sure to install a translator app on your phone, because most locals do not speak English.

Almost everything there can be bartered, so if you are looking to buy souvenirs, remember that if you negotiate in a respectful way, you can get it for cheaper.
That makes a lot more sense. I must've read the price wrong since I can't read vietnamese obviously. Still cheap though. A buffet like that would cost around 50-60 bucks I'm from.

I don't even look at non-local food when I'm traveling so I have no worries about that. I personally don't understand people who want to eat stuff from their home when they travel. A lot of Koreans want to eat Korean food even when they're abroad for like a week but fuck that noise.

Which app do you recommend for translating? I was just going to use google translate.

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes a lot more sense. I must've read the price wrong since I can't read vietnamese obviously. Still cheap though. A buffet like that would cost around 50-60 bucks I'm from.

I don't even look at non-local food when I'm traveling so I have no worries about that. I personally don't understand people who want to eat stuff from their home when they travel. A lot of Koreans want to eat Korean food even when they're abroad for like a week but fuck that noise.

Which app do you recommend for translating? I was just going to use good translate.

Yeah, I hear you. Personally, I don't like travelling in tour groups, because it feels so watered down. The experience is like looking at a rollercoaster seat, and noticing all the wear and tear. A person can't help but wonder how many people have previously sat there and it takes the allure away from the ride.

However, if I am in a place for a couple of days, going on tours is the best option, just because you don't have enough time to be experimental and get it right.

I'm not sure about apps. I went there a while ago, and so I am sure there are better apps available. You are going to want one that makes it easy for the other person to read or hear, because you will be mostly showing them your screen.

Another interesting suggestion is to check out the grocery store while you there. They have a ton of stuff that we don't have, and it will give you a good sense of their lifestyles.

I have given advice to many friends so I will just copy and paste it below:

If you decide to go on any tours, it is probably going to feel like a whirlwind, and can be exhausting. Finding a nice café with a view or a place to take in the sights and sounds, can be far more effective in preserving the memory, than to grudgingly commit to everything on the agenda. Keeping a journal, and writing down your thoughts during the trip or shortly after you come back can help to contemplate and fully appreciate a surreal experience, while minimizing the disappointment of missing the moment while reaching for a camera.

During your next doctor's visit, let your doctor know your travel plans, and they might recommend vaccines to get for that region. It is best practice to get them a few weeks before your departure date. Drinking the local water is ill-advised, and that includes the ice. Stick to bottled liquids, unless you are in a mid to luxury end restaurant, and you will be fine. Tipping the locals is not expected, and can be perceived as offensive. It's as if we are looking down on them, and saying they don't make enough money. This is different for locals that are part of the tour's pit stops.

Other recommendations. Buy your universal power converter and electronics on this side of the world. The electronics out there can be cheap knockoffs, and has a tendency to burnout or explode when you plug it into the wall. Also, it may not work when you come back home, due to the power conversion. A great tip is to download offline maps, translators, and currency convertors apps for your phone, just in case you are in low signal area.

My biggest regrets were not exchanging contact information with some of the people I met, and not sending back more of the art, collectibles, and souvenirs. In fact, I would take a trip just for that. It is important to be mindful of packaging and custom's restrictions. Being familiar with the shipping process prior to going, makes buying decisions a lot easier when you're in the moment.

I hope this information helps!

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear you. Personally, I don't like travelling in tour groups, because it feels so watered down. The experience is like looking at a rollercoaster seat, and noticing all the wear and tear. A person can't help but wonder how many people have previously sat there and it takes the allure away from the ride.

However, if I am in a place for a couple of days, going on tours is the best option, just because you don't have enough time to be experimental and get it right.

I'm not sure about apps. I went there a while ago, and so I am sure there are better apps available. You are going to want one that makes it easy for the other person to read or hear, because you will be mostly showing them your screen.

Another interesting suggestion is to check out the grocery store while you there. They have a ton of stuff that we don't have, and it will give you a good sense of their lifestyles.

I have given advice to many friends so I will just copy and paste it below:

If you decide to go on any tours, it is probably going to feel like a whirlwind, and can be exhausting. Finding a nice café with a view or a place to take in the sights and sounds, can be far more effective in preserving the memory, than to grudgingly commit to everything on the agenda. Keeping a journal, and writing down your thoughts during the trip or shortly after you come back can help to contemplate and fully appreciate a surreal experience, while minimizing the disappointment of missing the moment while reaching for a camera.

During your next doctor's visit, let your doctor know your travel plans, and they might recommend vaccines to get for that region. It is best practice to get them a few weeks before your departure date. Drinking the local water is ill-advised, and that includes the ice. Stick to bottled liquids, unless you are in a mid to luxury end restaurant, and you will be fine. Tipping the locals is not expected, and can be perceived as offensive. It's as if we are looking down on them, and saying they don't make enough money. This is different for locals that are part of the tour's pit stops.

Other recommendations. Buy your universal power converter and electronics on this side of the world. The electronics out there can be cheap knockoffs, and has a tendency to burnout or explode when you plug it into the wall. Also, it may not work when you come back home, due to the power conversion. A great tip is to download offline maps, translators, and currency convertors apps for your phone, just in case you are in low signal area.

My biggest regrets were not exchanging contact information with some of the people I met, and not sending back more of the art, collectibles, and souvenirs. In fact, I would take a trip just for that. It is important to be mindful of packaging and custom's restrictions. Being familiar with the shipping process prior to going, makes buying decisions a lot easier when you're in the moment.

I hope this information helps!

Dude it helps a lot. I really appreciate it.

I know Vietnam is famous for their coffee so I plan to bring back some bags for people.

Everyone knows about Hanoi, Halong Bay cruises etc but I'd def recommend Ninh Binh. It's a few hours south of Hanoi. I hired a motorbike & explored the town & its surrounds; the nature & hikes are stunning.

Everyone knows about Hanoi, Halong Bay cruises etc but I'd def recommend Ninh Binh. It's a few hours south of Hanoi. I hired a motorbike & explored the town & its surrounds; the nature & hikes are stunning.

Btw this isn't to say that Hanoi/Halong Bay are shit. The cruises are awesome & the dogs in Hanoi are just delicious

There's similarities between Japanese and Vietnamese people. Very considerate, intelligent and hard working.
so what ethnicities do you categorize as unintelligent. impolite and lazy as contrast to this?

Some questions about Halong Bay and Cat Ba island. My friend initially wanted to do a cruise for a couple days which would allow us to see much of the area and do a lot of different activities. But it would set us back more than 100 bucks. An alternative is to go to stay at Cat Ba island according to another friend who's been there but I don't know much about it. It's been awhile since he's been there so he doesn't remember all the details. Assuming it's cheaper, I am leaning towards staying at Cat Ba instead of doing the cruise.

What do you guys recommend?

I went to southern Vietnam but I think northern Vietnam would be more interesting.

Some questions about Halong Bay and Cat Ba island. My friend initially wanted to do a cruise for a couple days which would allow us to see much of the area and do a lot of different activities. But it would set us back more than 100 bucks. An alternative is to go to stay at Cat Ba island according to another friend who's been there but I don't know much about it. It's been awhile since he's been there so he doesn't remember all the details. Assuming it's cheaper, I am leaning towards staying at Cat Ba instead of doing the cruise.

What do you guys recommend?

The trip from Hanoi to Ha Long Bay is 3hrs and 36mins. Also, they drive crazy over there so make sure you strap in.

If you going on a tour to Ha Long Bay, you can keep forward momentum and stay overnight on Cat Ba island. This would allow you to spend more time cruising (to/from the island) in the bay.

Cat Ba island is interesting, but really it is just an excuse to spend more time in the Ha Long Bay area.

A lot of tourists opt-in to spend a night on the junk boats which gives you the most time on the water. However, when I was there, they had a terrible accident where people drowned.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-12490523

This information is not meant to scare you. That was awhile ago, and things have gotten a lot safer. Vietnam in general is extremely safe, except for maybe petty theft (which happened to me). With that said, it is always worth considering the dangers of travelling to another country.

So I'm going tomorrow morning guys. It's such an early flight that I'm actually going to the airport tonight and just gonna chill/nap until my flight. My friend and I booked a hostel for in old Quarter in Hanoi and then we booked a place on Cat Ba island for a few days. We're not sure about the details yet but I hope to check out Ninh Binh as well.

Back