Treadmill

$uperman

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I want to use a treadmill to build an aerobic base.

Which training program should I use?

Last edited:
Use the stair master in gym without touching the rails.

depends on where you are starting from. Can you run a mile? Can you run a mile in under 8 minutes? These are some of the questions you need to ask yourself first. If you are someone that gets winded walking from the parking lot to the gym I'd recommend something like the "couch to 5K" training routine. It is basically a series of walking and running intervals to help build up your endurance. People generally only think of the VO2 capacity and heart rate, but you also need to really train the body (knees, hips, core/lower back, ankles/feet) for the impact. I'd also consider joining a cross country club/running club and get some good tips on form. I was having a real problem with my hips, knees and plantar fasciitis until I corrected my running form, one of those things I wish i'd done years ago it had such a big impact.

depends on where you are starting from. Can you run a mile? Can you run a mile in under 8 minutes? These are some of the questions you need to ask yourself first. If you are someone that gets winded walking from the parking lot to the gym I'd recommend something like the "couch to 5K" training routine. It is basically a series of walking and running intervals to help build up your endurance. People generally only think of the VO2 capacity and heart rate, but you also need to really train the body (knees, hips, core/lower back, ankles/feet) for the impact. I'd also consider joining a cross country club/running club and get some good tips on form. I was having a real problem with my hips, knees and plantar fasciitis until I corrected my running form, one of those things I wish i'd done years ago it had such a big impact.

I thought that I was in a decent shape, but after 10 minutes of running, I got tired.

Steady pace for 20-30 mins 2-3x / wk
Gradually increase to 1hr 3-5 x / wk depending on your other activities.
Run outside if possible.

Exactamundo.

Only thing to add for @$uperman is- don't go to fast. If you go to fast you don't target the aerobic system enough. And it's actually really easy to go too fast. At the same time, when you aren't in good shape for running, it's actually pretty hard to go too slow. IMO, it's quite hard to be running at any kind of pace at all and be under 65% max HR. So generally it won't hurt, and might actually help, to slow down.

Double exactamundo.

I thought that I was in a decent shape, but after 10 minutes of running, I got tired.
what speed were you going? Did you have it on any incline? Are you using a heart rate monitor, if yes, what is your VO2 and what percentage range of your max HR?
I have always heard that to mimic actual running on a flat surface you should have the treadmill on a 1% incline.
For example if I'm trying to do a mile as fast as possible on a treadmill I'm looking at around 7 to 7:30 minutes at a speed around 8.5 mph (I'll usually be adjusting the speed up and down a little depending on how I'm feeling), now if I'm doing a 5K or something like that I'm going for around 30 minutes at around at around 6.5 to 7 mph, because I can't do a 5K at an 8.5 mph pace.
Again, I'd recommend a program like the "couch to 5K" routine, it prepares your body for the adjustment of running distance, it's maintaining a 30 minute workout and it isn't too taxing on the body. I had my wife do it when she wanted start running, she went from not being able to run a half mile to being able to do the 3.1 miles in a 5K within about 6 weeks.

Try finding a speed where you can jog for 10-15 mins and then work from there. Throw in some spiriting in between paces and you are good to go. Then just ramp it up every week.

what speed were you going? Did you have it on any incline? Are you using a heart rate monitor, if yes, what is your VO2 and what percentage range of your max HR?
I have always heard that to mimic actual running on a flat surface you should have the treadmill on a 1% incline.
For example if I'm trying to do a mile as fast as possible on a treadmill I'm looking at around 7 to 7:30 minutes at a speed around 8.5 mph (I'll usually be adjusting the speed up and down a little depending on how I'm feeling), now if I'm doing a 5K or something like that I'm going for around 30 minutes at around at around 6.5 to 7 mph, because I can't do a 5K at an 8.5 mph pace.
Again, I'd recommend a program like the "couch to 5K" routine, it prepares your body for the adjustment of running distance, it's maintaining a 30 minute workout and it isn't too taxing on the body. I had my wife do it when she wanted start running, she went from not being able to run a half mile to being able to do the 3.1 miles in a 5K within about 6 weeks.

I started walking at 5 km per hour (3.1 miles per hour) for 5 minutes as warming up. Then running 7 km per hour (4,3 miles per hour) for 10 minutes. After that, again walking 5 km per hour (3.1 miles per hour) for 5 minutes as cooling down.

I didn't have an incline. I also didn't use a heart rate monitor.

I'm going to use the "couch to 5K" routine.

I started walking at 5 km per hour (3.1 miles per hour) for 5 minutes as warming up. Then running 7 km per hour (4,3 miles per hour) for 10 minutes. After that, again walking 5 km per hour (3.1 miles per hour) for 5 minutes as cooling down.

I didn't have an incline. I also didn't use a heart rate monitor.

I'm going to use the "couch to 5K" routine.
Yeah, sorry but if you were winded at the 4.3 mph pace you have some work to do. Not to be a dick about it, although it does sound dickish that's barely above a walking pace.
Don't feel too bad about it though, as I said my wife was pretty much where you are but she couldn't even do the 10 minutes. Now she can run for 10 minutes at a 5.5 to 6 mph pace. That's not setting the world on fire, but it's a lot better than where she started out. Good luck.

I'd also make sure you have good running shoes, go someplace that specializes in them and has a staff that are predominately runners, the place I go to actually has a treadmill with cameras to review your pace, imbalances and help you correct your form and help with what kind of running shoes are best for you. I found out I was wearing shoes smaller than I needed and that my feet towards the toes are wider than normal so while the running shoes I have look a little bit like clown shoes, they have improved my running and helped me avoid injuries I was constantly getting. The other thing is you find out that if you are a consistent runner you'll need to replace the shoes once or twice a year. I've found that mine last me about 8 months. I use a heart rate monitor that also tracks the mileage and have gotten to the point that I replace my running shoes every 500 miles.

Believe it or not I recommend just walking but on an incline. I'll crank up the invlinias much as it goes and go at 4-4.3 and stay on for about 45 mins. My heart rate goes up like a jog. As far as what numbers you set the treadmill at and how long are depending on your fitness. For a good areobic base though I'd recommend not to go cry ie go harder. The key is to be able to do it multiple times a week. If you go crazy the forsf time you'll be shot the next time, save some for next time

I'd recommend the 8 week basebuilding template from tactical conditioning if you're stuck for ideas.

I ran the template last November/December and my resting heart rate fell a good 10bpm, lost 3kg, and I went from struggling to complete 3 miles to being able to run 10km pretty effortlessly.

Basically it had me postpone my strength training for the 8 weeks and do a combination of 2 strength endurance sessions (BB complexes/bw circuits) and 3 endurance sessions a week. 2 fairly short runs at low intensity (130-150 BPM) and one long steady state run (sandwiched between rest days) at the same intensity. Through the weeks they add more reps to the SE sessions and time to the steady state cardio you're doing.

I was weary about it because I didn't want to stop lifting heavy but i did and afterwards not only did my numbers not fall during the 8 weeks, but the work capacity Id developed through the strength endurance sessions helped my future strength sessions recovery tremendously.

Also, it did a good job of cementing that base. Months later without any meaningful steady state running I can confidently jump on a treadmill and go 10km without a struggle.

Worth looking into.

Back