Triangle Choke - Counter to Defense

This is one time I dont agree with Mikey Triangles (and I train with him so its certainly not personal) but I dont ever like to circle into chokes! If you circle towards the leg that is across your neck u risk putting yourself deeper into the choke. I know it should be done a certain way (as Mikey says explosively) and you should have a certain grip but nothing goes that smoothly in real time. You risk the guy grabbing underneath your leg and keeping you at that angle and u are also giving him a better angle for the arm bar.

That defense will def work if all goes well but for me it leaves too much to chance, and you need some insane flexibility.

Im all about the posture if I can! Dean Listers video is top notch! That is the perfecttttttttttttttt triangle!!

Hey trickster, now that I think about it I don't think you and i ever really discussed this technique before. I thought you were there when Millard was asking me about it, but I guess you weren't.

Anyway as I stated in the past that was a bad video, and I recently shot a new one with better details and explaination. Fact is this technique works for me all the time, even in competition; it's just hard to get a grasp on from that video. I'm going to post a better one in a seperate thread now with some more info. if you have any questions or comments post them in here:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/unique-triangle-counter-new-vid-844704/

sorry to take this off-topic :icon_chee

check the link

I can see what you're saying. I think they may have been using this as sort of a learning segue for you. Are you still parallel when you have to use your hand to pull your shin down? One day I asked the Grandmaster why he didn't want me pulling the head in a triangle.

"Because if you triangleis a right, you no needy pulling head down. Should be pulling arm and squeegee your leg. If you needing doing the other things is, then technique is a wrong."

Look at Dean Lister's video again. I mean, anyone can feel free to disagree with me about this, and I'm not saying a parallel triangle DOESN'T work, but as far as I'm concerned that's the definitive triangle. You can't stack it, you can't turn it, you can't pick up out of it, you can't can opener it, and you don't have to re-adjust anything for the armbar.

I guess what I'm saying is practice more? I'm not the end-all-be-all god of grappling, but this is how I'm triangling now, and it always, always works.

Think we've got our wires crossed. From what's written above you seem to think that I'm saying you pull the shin down to finish. I was referring to your comment that one should be able to just throw their legs into triangle position.

I've been taught that you use the holding of the shin to re-adjust the triangle (whilst moving the hips to be perpendicular). Then slip the other leg over the one you were just holding. (Gracie Barra Birmingham see five onwards).

Think we've got our wires crossed. From what's written above you seem to think that I'm saying you pull the shin down to finish. I was referring to your comment that one should be able to just throw their legs into triangle position.

I've been taught that you use the holding of the shin to re-adjust the triangle (whilst moving the hips to be perpendicular). Then slip the other leg over the one you were just holding. (Gracie Barra Birmingham see five onwards).

If you HAVE to, sure. You shouldn't need to though. Personally (and again, I'm not the end-all-be-all of grappling) I can hit the proper triangle without the need for re-adjustment.

WSKdtFQ.png

Back