Triangle Choke Question

Magic Swag

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Is it fair to say that the triangle is generally something you shoot AS you are breaking opponent's posture? IE, if opponent's posture is already fully broken, triangles are a little bit harder to apply?

Could you rephrase the question? Do you mean the triangle is harder to apply as in to set up or to finish?

No. There are a zillion setups. Some are from the back, from mount, from failed armbars, from omo plata. If their posture is good no. But once broken it's even easier. Lately I've hit it a lot from half guard where i have a deep underhook and possibly wrist control.

Is it fair to say that the triangle is generally something you shoot AS you are breaking opponent's posture? IE, if opponent's posture is already fully broken, triangles are a little bit harder to apply?
No.

What are you ultimately going for when you are playing guard? Just break posture? No. You want broken posture AND hip separation to isolate something. If your opponent's posture is broken but his hips are connected to yours and is crowding you, then yes, you can't really triangle him (or really do much of anything). Typically from the guard you want to break posture, THEN start creating space, and then you can attack your submission once you've created the space.

Break posture --> Hip escape --> Attack.

No.

What are you ultimately going for when you are playing guard? Just break posture? No. You want broken posture AND hip separation to isolate something. If your opponent's posture is broken but his hips are connected to yours and is crowding you, then yes, you can't really triangle him (or really do much of anything). Typically from the guard you want to break posture, THEN start creating space, and then you can attack your submission once you've created the space.

Wish I´d have understood this when I started BJJ.

No.

Damn. That’s helpful
So hips to one side or the other a bit?

Damn. That’s helpful
So hips to one side or the other a bit?
If that's how you want to imagine it.

Here's a powerful triangle by Firas Zahabi off of collar tie. Listen to Firas at 2:30. "This hip escape is the heart of your guard, the heart of your triangle."

Here's a powerful triangle off of an overhook by Lachlin Giles. Watch from 1:55. The overhook keeps his posture broken. At 2:30 he explains the defence is to simply crowd his hips. The foot on hip maintains the distance.

If that's how you want to imagine it.

Here's a powerful triangle by Firas Zahabi off of collar tie. Listen to Firas at 2:30. "This hip escape is the heart of your guard, the heart of your triangle."

Here's a powerful triangle off of an overhook by Lachlin Giles. Watch from 1:55. The overhook keeps his posture broken. At 2:30 he explains the defence is to simply crowd his hips. The foot on hip maintains the distance.

Thank you! Super helpful. I’m gonna start drilling this immediately

Back