TRUE custom Winning 16oz

StRatoCastR

Gear Tester/Reviewer
@Brown
Reaction score
Updated with Video--11/17/13

[YT]ZpeTvJcj4As[/YT]

Updated 10-23-13

Welcome Ladies, and Gentlemen; children of all ages--hurry, hurry step right up to the winning review!
I think this is the most anticipated review I've done up until this time.
People always hounding me, StRato when are you going to review winnings? When are you going to OWN winnings? Why don't you own Winnings?! Winnings are the best Shihtzu told me so [Joking shihtzu :)]

This review is going to probably be my longest, so those that don't want to read, exit now.

The Backstory:

Ok 1st off, I never bagged on Winnings, or ever said they were inferior gloves, search all my posts, you will NEVER find it. What I did say though and it was probably taken the wrong way was that I wasn't sure if Winnings were worth the price.

Hopefully, this review puts all your little hearts and soul to rest. Are Winnings worth it? That is the Million dollar question after all, that is why I'm here, and in many cases you as well!

So they came in a Winning box, now to some that may not mean much but 1st impressions are everything especially to a gear attic such as myself, so It caused me to chuckle and raise an eyebrow as well. How serious are these guys? I mean its like confronting a Bigger-stronger-faster guy than you, will I... StRato Have to eat my words and praise Shihtzu, Gonz, and Majik for all eternity or will I have some dignity left after this review?!

So I open the Box, two words: ****ing Beautiful. After having, touching, and finally owning my own Winnings, I cant not tell you the LEVEL of craftsmanship involved just by looking at this thing. Turned it, flipped it, spun it, Zero flaws.

Now, I have to do it, because everyone is going to ask me, How is the leather really? You've always said Reyes is the BEST when it comes to leather. Honestly, I ran to get my Reyes, side by side its like a good fight you never want to see end, but I retract my previous statement. And like that good fight you never wanted to see end: It is a draw. Cop out response? No, They all have little small features that offset each other, I cant declare a clear winner. Its impossible it really is, and I have BOTH brands sitting in my hand right infront of me.

Putting the glove on.... the fit is ridiculous (in a good way, for a 16 oz easy to make fist, broken in like feel, not quite like the Mexican gloves but its a good middle ground. They aren't stiff but they aren't broken in all the way. Hopefully this paints a clear picture. Your hand is in the ready striking position , everything makes a straight line, thumb is in the most perfect place I must say, Im not a thumb guy but even for me, the fist is about as perfect as it can be.

So StRato tell me more about your glove! Ok ok ok!

I got with Kaz, and I said look Ive heard complaints about the winning Velcro, I have an idea how to make it better, he was very respectful and said "I think that is a good idea, no one has ever asked me that before but I will be happy to do that HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI!"

So I told him the dimensions and how I wanted it, it exceeded my expectations. I wasn't sure if there would be a language barrier or if he just would blow me off. The Velcro is VERY robust, infact it outperforms my Reyes Velcro, its probably 33% wider so the wrist support is more supportive than most of my elastic laceups. I wont say they outperform laceups in fear that Shihtzu would stark me. But it is AMAZINGLY supportive! This Velcro is stiff, supportive and it cranks down the most out of ANY Velcro system I have. Not to mention it is the thickest so it has a good foundation and is uncompromising.

Read the succeeding post for clarification, I ordered from Rakuten but I got the details if modifications could be done through Winning USA. Sorry for the confusion but I do NOT touch my original posts.You can see where I explained it throughout the replies through the thread.

Now for the looks:
The word "Flat" is a bad word, I think "Dark Gold" is better. Under bright light it glistens, It wont do this if you have generic bulbs that make your house yellow, but if you take it into the sun or have the really nice fluorescent bulbs that are true white, these thinks will sparkle!

The color is beautiful, I get comments all the time when I stroll into the gym, newcomers often ask me how much I paid... Yeah I just kind of smile and state, "You don't even want to know..."

I also wanted to offset the color and Im a Black and gold kind of guy. So I just winged it and tried out the "Enamel Black" so for those of you that don't know, its a TRUE black and its glossy. Its basically like if you took black spray paint and sprayed clear coat over it, it is blacker than regular black but it also has that sheen to it.

The craftsmanship on this glove is outstanding, I know im stereotyping, but Winning is like a samurai sword of the modern day era, you can tell a lot of time and effort came into making this glove. And when it all came down to it even with my request that I'm sure pissed off Kaz though he didn't say it, I can only imagine... "Stupid Gaijin, BOOOOOOOONZAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!" He did it anyhow.

Winning is an apex glove I must say, I cant really say it has any faults except the fact it is expensive, I tailor made my winnings, not just the usual color theme but changing the design a bit as well. StRato "Was it worth it?" I would have to relent and say Yes. The are expensive, and not just because I am a gear junky, I think I finally understand why Every boxer worth a damn owns a pair. Sure Im joining the winning club but its more than that, Marquez, Pacquiao, Mayweather, Canelo, from punchers, to counter punchers, to boxer-punchers, to whatever, every type of fighter uses them for a good reason.

Now to the Meat potatoes of the review:

The Feel:
Thumb is long and in a GREAT position, grip hose is ideally placed, able to make a tight fist, padding isn't too bulky where it feels awkward, Knuckles point straight out the way they are supposed to, wrist is nice and supportive. I like the feel of the Custom Winning glove, it is the MOST anatomically correct glove I own considering ALL the factors involved. The palm has zero vent holes, but Ironically I didn't find myself getting hot in these gloves, I don't know why I think it will take more research as to why.

Ivan is 100% correct, Winning is like Fine wine, it simply gets better with age. As it feels broken in straight out of the box, after you put more and more rounds into it, I feel it simply gets better, like it molds specifically to your fist. I would advise people that own Winnings, to NOT let other people try your gloves.

Despite the lack of vent holes, these gloves probably stay THE coolest out of all my sets, I simply don't understand it.

The Padding:
Like a crazed madman I had to get some rounds in before I took off back for work, and I had an "Appointment" to prolong my lunch ;-)
The padding is THE best, Gonz has always lived and died by the sword when he says Winning has the best padding, he isn't lying so I have to throw Gonz in here because he for so long has always stood by this and he does deserve the credit here, along with Shihtzu of course, but I think Gonz has always stood out atleast to me about winnings protectiveness. Ironically, these gloves do generate a lot of pop, someone mentioned earlier they don't get a good feel behind winnings? Um, I beg to disagree, you get excellent feedback IMO. I stand behind that, They pop great, they feel great, they fit great.

The Padding I feel I underplayed in the original review. The padding is outstanding, it is THE best thing about Winning. Not only is it pretty low profile but it protects THE best a glove can protect. There is a reason every pro athlete goes and gets gloves made by Winning. It isn't a marketing ploy, it is due to the protection being the best. IMO puncher, brawler, Boxer, infighter everyone should have a pair if you are taking boxing seriously. These helped Rehab my hands when I used a pair of gloves with crappy padding aka Fairtex BGV5.

This glove has all the strengths and absolutely no weaknesses. Most gloves you will wear in your life time you would change one or two things to make it a better glove. I don't think its possible on a Winning. I am not hyping up the glove but simply being honest. The one thing I did change is the wrist, but it was POSSIBLE, so again... Perfection.

we9f.jpg

nnjx.jpg

cvxq.jpg

zlz2.jpg

Last edited:
The Wrist Support:
I asked for the Velcro to be extra wide, extra thick. I was told that the normal closure is flimsy, but as show in the punching pic, my wrist can not bend backwards at all, its like having a leather belt around the wrist and forearm area, very supportive, very stiff, I like it a lot, I am able to crank down harder than any other glove I own. Also because the strap is so large it comes on/off really easy.

The normal Velcro closure sucks IMO, I decided to customize mine, and in retrospect it was totally worth it. I wouldn't change a thing about the design I came up with and Submitted to Mitani. Did it hike up the price to the gloves, it sure did. But, was it totally worth it? Absolutely! The strap is VERY easy to handle and it is very stable. It keeps the wrist locked down and because of the heavy and robust closure, I feel the glove is even more balanced than it normally would have been.

The Stitching:
No loose ends no Frays, everything is perfect, double stitched in most areas, very well done. The stitching is spot on I like the white stitching, makes the black pop out a little more, the white piping is going to make people jealous, I know, I know.

This has held up really well, it goes to show you that Winnings craftsmanship is completely on point.

The Weight:
Weight is pretty damn true even with the wrist/Velcro mod, both of the gloves come in at 15 11/12ths ozs. so 1/12th of an ounce short but my scale is accurate to only .1 so realistically these fall into the margin of error and you might as well call them true weight.

Overall:
I would say if you are serious about boxing in any way shape or form, you NEED to get a pair of Winning. You can skip all the fancy colors or going over the top like I did. But I would give this glove two thumbs up. Its hard to beat, it cant be beat! If you are a beginner, I would wait it out, see if you like boxing, I would NOT jump straight to winning. And I know people are going to raise eyebrows and scream at me, but look you don't need the best gear to train, find out if you like boxing, try it out for a bit. I wait 5+ years before I got my very 1st set of Winning, I think I did the right thing. There are plenty of gloves that get the job done, like winning? No, but good enough, so don't run out and spend your entire paycheck. But again for those that HAVE done boxing for awhile, wtf are you waiting for get to rakuten, Spam PM Shihtzu or post on the winning thread to piss him off and place your order :)

No glove beats Winning, period. For the level of protection coupled with all the other factors you simply can NOT get a better glove. Please do NOT be fooled by Grant and their ridiculous prices... Again, if you are serious boxer and you even thought about getting these, I would highly suggest tucking away some money bit by bit, and getting your own pair of Winning. They are worth Every cent. Mine have held up beautifully, and though I spent a lot I've eased into dealing with the money spent. Now, I look back and think, Yeah it was totally worth the money.

Any Questions, either post here on the Winning Forum and we will all be glad to help!

Score:

100%/ A+

+Best 16oz fitted glove
+Protection!!! Padding!!!
+Best Velcro Wrist support
+Easy to make fist, grip bar is placed at the most ideal location
+True weight
+Supportive
+Creates the most ideal powerline (see pic)
+Colors
+Best glove possible

-Price (OMFG, and don't ask)

g54.JPG

e5np.jpg

eois.jpg

j47k.jpg

Last edited:
What a tease, hurry up and finish.

How did you get beefed up velcro?

Last edited:
Beefed up, ill go into it more after i get off work i hate doing review from my phone it doesnt really work so youll have to wait 3 hrs :(

You can just email Winning USA, pretty easy

Last edited:
Beefed up, ill go into it more after i get off work i hate doing review from my phone it doesnt really work so youll have to wait 3 hrs :(

I feel ya

I think I can tell where this review is going, and it might make my next glove decision easier...

Now, I have to do it, because everyone is going to ask me, How is the leather really? You've always said Reyes is the BEST when it comes to leather. Honestly, I ran to get my Reyes, side by side its like a good fight you never want to see end, but I retract my previous statement. And like that good fight you never wanted to see end: It is a draw. Co out response? No, They all have little small features that offset each other, I cant declare a clear winner. Its impossible it really is, and I have BOTH brands sitting in my hand right infront of me.

My friend, do you understand now my ambivalence in our recent leather's discussion? :) Look at these gloves, it's an enormous pain to say this leather is inferior to some other!

Awesome review!

Above all: congratulations!

Last edited:
I like big velcro straps and I cannot lie, it's a feeling I can't deny...whatever the rest of the lyrics are this joke is no longer funny.

Can't wait for the rest of the review man.

I like big velcro straps and I cannot lie, it's a feeling I can't deny...whatever the rest of the lyrics are this joke is no longer funny.

Can't wait for the rest of the review man.

Here Ill paraphrase... "Oh shit you guys were right, these things are the best and leagues ahead, I cant believe I doubted you.... blah blah blah..." LOL

What gold is that?

FLAT FLAT FLAT :)

The only gold available from Winning.

Here Ill paraphrase... "Oh shit you guys were right, these things are the best and leagues ahead, I cant believe I doubted you.... blah blah blah..." LOL

lol

I just wonder isn't it a perfect time for a tiny to c-17 knockoff review score... :)

now I need to decide if I want 12oz or 16oz Winnings, and of course on color(s)

Holy crap this thread blew up and im not even 1/2 done with the review

I went 16 just incase i fell in love with them and wanted to spar with them.

Don't you think this might make a lot of your gloves currently owned obsolete in the rotation for lack of a better word?

Nice! Black & Gold is always a good choice. Also love the big velcro strap, wonder if it offers the kind of wrist support people want. If so I might purchase these hmm...

Back