True or False: Anthony “Showtime” Pettis wins rematches vs Alvarez/Barboza

Barboza is a bad matchup for him

Eddie on the other hand, he already beat imo and would beat again

why suddenly pettis is perceived to be a good fighter again

Did he win the second round against barboza? I seem to remember it being 1-1 going into the last round. Barboza dominated that round so people remember that. But still, Pettis could take a rematch I think.

He looks like top 10 guy for sure but dont know abou top 5 yet.

Barboza fight would be more competitive. Anthony seems way more focused, he got to spoiled with all that money. Alot of fighter fight better when their broke
Anthony looked on fire in the beginning of the Barboza fight. He also stated afterwards that he was supremely motivated to not be fighting a wrestler. Recall that he hired Greg Jackson and Donald Cerrone to prepare him.

The problem is he offers no threat of a takedown and when you literally have a kickboxing strategy against Edson, this may end up being the result. It wasn’t money that lost him the fight, it was fighting a better version of himself on the feet. There are many good breakdowns on this fight.
1AE1D4EE-A2CF-4209-AF2E-1CEF13CC8BC6.jpeg B3628DFF-D8DD-4B15-9793-B3E7458B7B2C.jpeg

Lets not get caried away with the "showtime is back" threads yet. He needs to fight someone else besides a loser like Chiesa.

i an not conviced about a fighter being able to toughen up mentally at this point of his career. The moment he fights a guy that is tough to break and gives him a hard time he will just give up.

No. He has a chance vs Alvarez though.. if Alvarez doesn't march him down

Anthony looked on fire in the beginning of the Barboza fight. He also stated afterwards that he was supremely motivated to not be fighting a wrestler. Recall that he hired Greg Jackson and Donald Cerrone to prepare him.

The problem is he offers no threat of a takedown and when you literally have a kickboxing strategy against Edson, this may end up being the result. It wasn’t money that lost him the fight, it was fighting a better version of himself on the feet. There are many good breakdowns on this fight.
View attachment 407883 View attachment 407885
Damn, look at the outline of barbosas toes...

Good analysis, Barboza's still got the best kicking game at lw. The way to beat him is grappling or boxing. Pettis boxing still is poor and he has almost no wrestling to speak of. Edson just a bad match up for him

Probably the first time we’ve agreed on something. Even while champ you could see these holes. All Pettis has while backing up is a counter right, tried to cut to his left and lead you into his punch. Unfortunately for him most guys just shoot for the td on him n he misses the punch. He keeps doing it, too, he keeps falling into the same traps. He barely has anything to offer when you push him back. He’s worse than JDS in his offense moving back, but his defense is better at the fence at least, doesn’t drop his hands n do his best RJJ impression like Jr. does.

Beating Eddie is possible. Edson will always wreck Showtime imo.

I also remember thinking that Pettis should have gotten the nod over Alvarez. Close fight though, but I do think Pettis can beat Alvarez if they fought again. But for some reason I just think that Barboza has Pettis's number.

I think if he stopped eating that cereal he would do much better. That shit is full of sugar.

2005-Weetos-Professor-Weetos--Wacky-Inventions---Spoon-spinning-top-front.jpg

no and no.

the guy beat chiesa ffs, and chiesa's standup is non-existant plus he fought like a fucking clown.

why are some people acting like pettis is 'back' after beating fuckin chiesa? lmao.
He arguably beat Eddie alreadythe first time. It’s foolish to rule out him beating Eddie in a rematch.

Pettis never left, he just ran into some bad luck.

No to both. He looked good against chiesa but he just doesn’t have the striking speed he once had

He arguably beat Eddie alreadythe first time. It’s foolish to rule out him beating Eddie in a rematch.

Pettis never left, he just ran into some bad luck.
just some bad luck huh? lmfao.

He looks like top 10 guy for sure but dont know abou top 5 yet.

Barboza fight would be more competitive. Anthony seems way more focused, he got to spoiled with all that money. Alot of fighter fight better when their broke
i dont think hes broke yet the man got over 200,000 on his last win. i was honestly surprised by how much he made.

I say true.

I thought Pettis beat Alvarez the first time around anyway. Since then Pettis has gone back to his roots of focusing on his offensive attack instead of defensive wrestling, while Eddies chin has gotten shakier.

He straight up lost to Barboza, but I believe he was gunshy due to being on a two fight skid before Edson. I like his chances at out striking Barboza in a rematch now that he is back on the winning track and confident again.

I’d even go as far to say that Pettis could very well beat Poirier in a rematch as well. He had him in some bad submission positions.
View attachment 407867

I've always been a Pretty Pettis fan took it a bit hard when he hit that steep decline, but always felt he still had a lot more in his tanks his body is well kept (little damage) and he fights younger than his given age. Sorry I doubted with the Chiesa fight but I was cheering Pretty Pettis as that fight went on a happy loss.

Alvarez would be the optimum rematch Barboza fights like Pettis with a bit more pop & kill kick...

I also scored first Alvarez fight for Pettis although both Pettis rounds were close while Alvarez round was one sided

His strategy of hanging around the outside of the cage so he can use it to stuff TDs will keep him pinned to the cage again vs Alvarez.

Barboza is only getting better and Pettis is not the same guy he was 4 or 5 years ago. Edsons left hook was a thing of beauty in that fight. He was just alot sharper and his fundamentals proved to be much more ingrained than Pettis's.

He is one of my favorites and I still have an unopened Wheaties box with him on the cover somewhere around my house but he is on his way out no doubt about it.

Back