True or False: Dustin Poirier “pulled a Weidman” against Eddie Alvarez

But they aren't allowed, and the reasoning why has been explained over and over. It's much easier to trap the head and neck in a cage than in a ring, so there's nothing to blunt the impact.

I like Eddie, but the knees were blatantly illegal. Should have been a DQ win for Poirer. It's not like Dustin was putting one finger on the ground trying to play silly games.

In fairness to Eddie I don't think he realised that both hands were down - because the rules seem to vary between athletic commission as to what is now illegal.

My problem with the ruling is that you can't generate as much force with a knee to a downed opponent as you can with a knee from double collar tie.

I've not seen it in a while but I do remember thinking at the time he was milking it

I think so, I even worried in the Gaethje fight he was going to do it again when Herb was checking out his eyes from the pokes.

Funny how illegal shit keeps happening to him and he is the oe taking flak for it. Anyway there is no evidence for him wanting to quit that fight and it's also inconsistent with how tough he is in most of his fights like the recent one with Justin.

In fairness to Eddie I don't think he realised that both hands were down - because the rules seem to vary between athletic commission as to what is now illegal.

My problem with the ruling is that you can't generate as much force with a knee to a downed opponent as you can with a knee from double collar tie.

Yeah Eddie has never been a dirty fighter, even when desperate or hurt. So I never bought the argument that he blatantly did it on purpose. He probably got caught up in the moment, but he was still in the wrong.

The issue with knees to downed opponents, is you can trap the head and neck against the cage, unlike in a ring.. So there's no way to mitigate the impact. Even taking a knee to the head in the clinch, your head has somewhere to move to dissipate the force. Trapped against the cage, your skull is absorbing all of that force.

I had Poirier winning the round until the illegal knee landed, and it was a solid knee not just a glancing blow.

If I remember correctly (and I could very well be wrong), didn't the fight occur in a state that hadn't adopted the new rules regarding knees to a downed opponent?

Was drinking the night of the fight and I could be wrong, but I thought it should have been a DQ win for Poirier. Definitely should have been an immediate rematch at the very least in my opinion.

Huh? Poirier was beating Eddie like a fucking child in that fight?Why would he want out?

Fucking shertard

If anything I think Alveraz threw those knees because he was frustrated. He was definitely losing up to that point.

I think so, I even worried in the Gaethje fight he was going to do it again when Herb was checking out his eyes from the pokes.

Herb was checking it because he kept getting poked in the damn eye. If it was once sure, but after the 2nd time it’s pretty clear Justin needs to watch his hands.

"Pulling a Weidman" is "lucky".

As in The chris was lucky to beat Anderson.

If u even glanced at the op us realize he's not talking about him vs Anderson or anything lucky....had to hurry up and post that awesome post tho huhn

I was worried about that too especially with second one. The replay showed the eyepoke to the left eye but he was having the doctor look at his right eye from the first poke. I'm sure that point deduction was extra motivation to go on though. As for with Eddie no it's not the same Chris seemed ok Dustin was actually hurt.

False. Eddie's cheap shot was legit foul and conveniently came during a bout he was losing.

Nah he was winning that fight. Coulda gotten the W instead of the NC.

If he couldn’t continue he couldn’t continue.

Dustin was not rocked before the knees.
Yes he was, Alvarez managed to rock him with a punch and then tried to rally and win the fight. That's how they found themselves in that position.

Yes he was, Alvarez managed to rock him with a punch and then tried to rally and win the fight. That's how they found themselves in that position.

I'm not saying Eddie didn't get in a few decent shots but I don't see him getting "rocked" anywhere. Here is the video of the ending sequence. Please tell me the time on the vid that you see him getting rocked.

Yes. He is a wimp. Eddie won. Wtf i dont get how eddie is listed as 5 foot 9 though. Dude looks 2 inches shorter than doostin who is 5 foot 9.

nope, it was supposed to be a DQ win for dustin

Thought Eddie - Dustin was going to be a classic. Poirier was close to the finish then came Alvarez Zombie Mode... The only one robbed was us from more Let Me Bang.

Back