Trump admin threatens the world over breast milk, backs down to Russia, babes can suckle again

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/health/world-health-breastfeeding-ecuador-trump.html

U.S. Opposition to Breast-Feeding Resolution Stuns World Health Officials

A resolution to encourage breast-feeding was expected to be approved quickly and easily by the hundreds of government delegates who gathered this spring in Geneva for the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly.

Based on decades of research, the resolution says that mother’s milk is healthiest for children and countries should strive to limit the inaccurate or misleading marketing of breast milk substitutes.

Then the United States delegation, embracing the interests of infant formula manufacturers, upended the deliberations.

American officials sought to water down the resolution by removing language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breast-feeding” and another passage that called on policymakers to restrict the promotion of food products that many experts say can have deleterious effects on young children.

When that failed, they turned to threats, according to diplomats and government officials who took part in the discussions. Ecuador, which had planned to introduce the measure, was the first to find itself in the cross hairs.

The Americans were blunt: If Ecuador refused to drop the resolution, Washington would unleash punishing trade measures and withdraw crucial military aid. The Ecuadorean government quickly acquiesced.

The showdown over the issue was recounted by more than a dozen participants from several countries, many of whom requested anonymity because they feared retaliation from the United States.

Health advocates scrambled to find another sponsor for the resolution, but at least a dozen countries, most of them poor nations in Africa and Latin America, backed off, citing fears of retaliation, according to officials from Uruguay, Mexico and the United States.

“We were astonished, appalled and also saddened,” said Patti Rundall, the policy director of the British advocacy group Baby Milk Action, who has attended meetings of the assembly, the decision-making body of the World Health Organization, since the late 1980s.

“What happened was tantamount to blackmail, with the U.S. holding the world hostage and trying to overturn nearly 40 years of consensus on best way to protect infant and young child health,” she said.

In the end, the Americans’ efforts were mostly unsuccessful. It was the Russians who ultimately stepped in to introduce the measure — and the Americans did not threaten them.

The confrontation was the latest example of the Trump administration siding with corporate interests on numerous public health and environmental issues.

In talks to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement, the Americans have been pushing for language that would limit the ability of Canada, Mexico and the United States to put warning labels on junk food and sugary beverages, according to a draft of the proposal reviewed by The New York Times.

During the same Geneva meeting where the breast-feeding resolution was debated, the United States succeeded in removing statements supporting soda taxes from a document that advises countries grappling with soaring rates of obesity.

The Americans also sought, unsuccessfully, to thwart a W.H.O. effort aimed at helping poor countries obtain access to lifesaving medicines. Washington, supporting the pharmaceutical industry, has long resisted calls to modify patent laws as a way of increasing drug availability in the developing world, but health advocates say the Trump administration has ratcheted up its opposition to such efforts.

Full article at link.

Read the bold paragraphs for the TLDR version.

America is determined to give up it's position as a global leader. These tactics were pure gangsterism.

A more multipolar world is good for everyone except neocons, neolibs, and imperialist americans.

But yes how stupid you have to be to openly defend corporate shit over mothers milk for babies as nature intended?

A more multipolar world is good for everyone except neocons, neolibs, and imperialist americans.

But yes how stupid you have to be to openly defend corporate shit over mothers milk for babies as nature intended?
Because we think we are smarter than nature.

Because we think we are smarter than nature.

I guess it could be if the milk was special enhanced and there was some medical reason globally why mothers milk is worse or dangerous. Say some viral strain in all world water or sometjing snd then only engineered or processed cow milk whatever is better.

I have a lactation fetish.
It's perfectly normal and not at all weird or offputting for every woman I date when I ask them to take hormones to induce-- but now I've said too much.

This is it!!

I guess it could be if the milk was special enhanced and there was some medical reason globally why mothers milk is worse or dangerous. Say some viral strain in all world water or sometjing snd then only engineered or processed cow milk whatever is better.

That's one of the issues: the baby food industry wants mothers to mix formula with unclean water instead of feeding the infants breast milk which is not only clean, but also possess among the mother's immunities.

I've read that Nestle is giving free formula samples for mothers to use immediately after childbirth... so then the mothers will stop lactating and have no choice but to buy formula.

Is this a case of greedy corrupt fucktard accepting bribes from absolutely every and any source?

Trump's too focused on draining the swamp to help drain the titties.

"Suckle on that lump of delicious, nutritious CleanCoal (TM) "

how can you be against breast milk?

Who fucking cares? Breast feeding is up to the mother. The government has nothing to do with it.

Does this prevent your ladies from putting kids on her tits?

Why does our government even need to have an official position on breast milk? Do we need government in every aspect of our lives?

What is our government's stance on the type of toilette paper I should use?

Here's hoping Trump supporters will start a very public movement to not breastfeed their babies and instead use formula.

Here's hoping Trump supporters will start a very public movement to not breastfeed their babies and instead use formula.

Um... I'm going to hope they just stop being so damn stupid instead.

I don't understand why we would threaten other countries over a resolution like this. If we're not interested in playing along what would stop us from just ignoring it? Obviously we should promote what's healthiest for children, but at the same time I don't see why we'd restrict the promotion of formula. I guess it depends on exactly what that means. Would we not allow them to have billboard space or advertise during daytime TV and the like? That's too far; we don't need to treat baby formula like cigarettes (unless these deleterious effects are way worse than I assume they are).

hHEBVH1.gif

Back