Trump and the Iran Deal

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Sorry if this was posted. I wanted to hear your thoughts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/us/politics/trump-iran-nuclear-deal-recertify.html

"WASHINGTON — President Trump agreed on Monday to certify again that Iran is complying with an international nuclear agreement that he has strongly criticized, but only after hours of arguing with his top national security advisers, briefly upending a planned announcement as a legal deadline loomed."

An international agreement was upheld because Iran has complied with the terms. Donnie probably threw a little tantrum. That seems like the size of it.

I wanted to hear your thoughts.

[Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Wednesday Iran's behavior is still concerning despite its compliance with the nuclear deal negotiated with the U.S. and five other world powers to limit Tehran's nuclear program in return for lifting economic sanctions.

“Iran is the world’s leading state sponsor of terrorism and Iran is at this time involved in multiple conflicts that undermine U.S. interest,” Tillerson said in the State Department’s Treaty Room.

“The nuclear deal failed to achieve the objective of a non-nuclear Iran,” Tillerson said. “The Trump administration has no intention of passing the buck to future administrations on Iran."

Tillerson said President Trump has ordered his national security staff to conduct an interagency review of “whether suspension of sanctions related to Iran pursuant to (the nuclear deal) is vital to the national security interests of the United States.”

Tillerson’s letter makes clear Trump is now looking for more ways to pressure Iran.

At his confirmation hearing, Tillerson criticized the nuclear deal, saying it would fail to prevent Iran from someday purchasing a nuclear weapon, and that while it does freeze the Iranian nuclear program’s progress, “it does not ultimately deny their ability to have a nuclear weapon,” in the future. He told senators he would “review” the agreement.]

I don't believe at all that the Iranians have given up on having a nuclear bomb. U.S. B-2 bombers have already been fitted to carry the GBU-57. It is a precision-guided, 30,000-pound "bunker buster" bomb. Heavier than the GBU-43 recently dropped in Afghanistan (22,000 pounds of TNT). It has a smaller blast yield, equivalent to 6,500 pounds of TNT. It is made up of 5,300 pounds of H-6 explosive. It can penetrate deeper than the GBU-43.

Also, the Israelis have already bombed nuclear facilities in Iraq, 1988, and Syria, 2007. They certainly have a plan in place to bomb Iranian nuclear facilities if the time comes.

I wonder if Obama saw a video of Trump loading a plain full of cash?

Back