Trump Approval Rating Reaches Highest Ever; Equal to Obama's At Same Point in Presidency (Gallup)

As the incumbent, he's the definite favorite for 2020, especially if the democrats continue to have trouble defining any kind of agenda outside of pure opposition.

it seems to have worked well for republicans during obama's terms. id guess the dems noticed, and will attempt to use whats been shown to work.

it seems to have worked well for republicans during obama's terms. id guess the dems noticed, and will attempt to use whats been shown to work.

It worked in congressional races to an extent, although I'd argue that the tea party's superficial libertarianism was still more substantial than anything the democrats are serving up on 2018. It's probably more akin to 2006 in terms of approach.

With that said, blanket opposition to the incumbent didnt work in 04, and didn't work in 2012, and I'm not sure that there's anybody that much better than Kerry and Romney lining up for the Trump road show on 2020.

It worked in congressional races to an extent, although I'd argue that the tea party's superficial libertarianism was still more substantial than anything the democrats are serving up on 2018. It's probably more akin to 2006 in terms of approach.

With that said, blanket opposition to the incumbent didnt work in 04, and didn't work in 2012, and I'm not sure that there's anybody that much better than Kerry and Romney lining up for the Trump road show on 2020.

i've suspected that a lot of people are aiming to show their hand much later in the game now. much shorter campaigns than we've been seeing. it gives the media less time to dig up dirt about them, and less time for them to be secretly filmed saying some inflammatory shit.

Yea Trump is a lock for 2020. The meme war will be fun though.

i've suspected that a lot of people are aiming to show their hand much later in the game now. much shorter campaigns than we've been seeing. it gives the media less time to dig up dirt about them, and less time for them to be secretly filmed saying some inflammatory shit.

I don't think so, the campaign cycle begins next year, and it's just the same old names. Even if they don't announce, you'd expect some folks to do other campaign-y things to incrssse their national profiles. They release books, do media tours, keep their names out there. There's nobody making noise now at all to excite voters. It's gonna come down to how badly do we all really hate Trump.

I don't think so, the campaign cycle begins next year, and it's just the same old names. Even if they don't announce, you'd expect some folks to do other campaign-y things to incrssse their national profiles. They release books, do media tours, keep their names out there. There's nobody making noise now at all to excite voters. It's gonna come down to how badly do we all really hate Trump.

maybe most people just dont want the higher profile political positions any longer? they appear to be the shittiest of jobs lately, to me at least. you have to constantly be "on," and might be publicly crucified for saying almost anything.

maybe most people just dont want the higher profile political positions any longer? they appear to be the shittiest of jobs lately, to me at least. you have to constantly be "on," and might be publicly crucified for saying almost anything.

I think it's more a case of a weak democratic bullpen, they only ran two serious candidates with no incumbent in 2016, and the risk of challenging a sitting president, combined with hesitation to challenge an incumbent. If you're a younger democrat, running in 2024 is inherently more attractive, since the incumbent will always have a credibility edge. No need to rush in unless Trump seems very vulnerable. If the midterms go badly enough, that might bring somebody else out of the woodwork, but if it's a sacrificial lamb, send up Biden or Sanders, they're not making it to 2028 anyway, so the next generation guys can still take their timing building national exposure.

So let me get this straight, TS is bragging about a 46% approval rating which means more than half of the population disapproves.
Trump Lickspittles are so desperate for anything to justify their Dear Leader.

another [lie was] that this was a previous administration policy

From CBS News:

Under previous administrations, immigration authorities charged thousands of people with illegally entering or re-entering the U.S., holding them in jail and at times separating them from their children. But Gelernt and other immigrant advocates say the Trump administration is detaining more adults seeking asylum and separating them from their children than in previous years.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aclu-accuses-u-s-government-of-unlawfully-separating-mother-child-seeking-asylum/

------

So I guess other presidents were also "inhumane"?

So let me get this straight, TS is bragging about a 46% approval rating which means more than half of the population disapproves.
Trump Lickspittles are so desperate for anything to justify their Dear Leader.
Not bragging. Just sharing an article.

It's not about Trump's approval rating, but about the discrepancy in media treatment. MSM referred to Obama as "popular" with a 45% approval rating. Can you point me to some MSM articles calling Trump "popular"?

It's not about Trump's approval rating, but about the discrepancy in media treatment. MSM referred to Obama as "popular" with a 45% approval rating. Can you point me to some MSM articles calling Trump "popular"?
You just posted an article calling Trump popular

From CBS News:

Under previous administrations, immigration authorities charged thousands of people with illegally entering or re-entering the U.S., holding them in jail and at times separating them from their children. But Gelernt and other immigrant advocates say the Trump administration is detaining more adults seeking asylum and separating them from their children than in previous years.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aclu-a...fully-separating-mother-child-seeking-asylum/
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aclu-a...fully-separating-mother-child-seeking-asylum/

------

So I guess other presidents were also "inhumane"?
I already addressed this in the thread. Obama's policy was to actively stop the practice, but yes, it did still happen. But it was at a dramatically lower rate than in the last two months.

As a thought experiment let's assume this did happen under presidencies. The answer is YES, it was inhumane.

Can you point to articles describing Obama as popular when his numbers were that low?

Can you point to articles describing Obama as popular when his numbers were that low?
Did you read the OP?

But even as Obama's approval numbers sagged, the press continued to describe him as popular. The Washington Post called him "the popular president" in May, when his approval rating had dropped below 50%. In July, the New York Times quoted a consultant — without mockery — as saying "he's still an extremely popular president."

Back