Trump Commutes sentence of fraudster in second use of clemency

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So this one's interesting for only his second use of these powers. I wonder if it has something to do with this Jerusalem deal, maybe a favor for Israeli interests. A kosher meat packing operation was raided for using illegals, and investigators uncovered a mess of fraud and financial crimes. The guy does 8 out of 27 years, and Trump draws a line in the sand by saying that massive fraud and financial crimes should not be punished harshly like violent crime.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/365907-trump-issues-first-commuted-prison-sentence

President Trump on Wednesday issued his first commuted sentence for a federal prisoner, freeing Sholom Rubashkin, the former owner of the country’s largest kosher meat-processing plant who in 2009 was sentenced to 27 years in prison for a litany of financial crimes.

The commutation had bipartisan support from lawmakers and had become a cause among many leading voices in the legal community, petitioning the Obama and Trump administrations to draw attention to a sentence they said was wildly disproportionate to the crime that had been committed.

Rubashkin, a father of 10, will have served eight years of his sentence. The commutation is not a presidential pardon — Rubashkin’s conviction will stand, as will his terms of release and the restitution payments he will be obliged to pay.

clicky linky for more​

27 years seemed excessive. 8 seemed lenient.

(Based on nothing other than a cursory look at the article and muh feels)

Clemency/pardons I am so on the fence about.

I don't like how it gets people out of shit they've probably done... but then there are guys like Snowden that I feel SHOULD be granted clemency but don't get it.

I severely question our lawmakers' views on proportionality of sentencing.

To them, a baggy of crack and a firearm is worth 25 years, but causing 1 million people to die bankrupt is only worth a public reprimand.

Makes me uneasy to know that Donald Trump has clemency/pardon power.

In b4 butthurt liberal comments

The intentional, malicious crimes of the rich that leave people broke and desolate should be punished more than any single act of violence. You can hurt someone in a fit of rage and immediately regret it. But people like this are fully aware of what they're doing, see the consequences of it daily and feel no remorse at all.

Maybe he was in a frat at Trump U. and he and Pres. Trump are frat brothers?

<30>

A crooked rich guy looking out for other crooked rich guys.

Is normal.

POTUS understands goy law does not apply to the chosen people.

From what I can gather by googling, this guy had thousands of child immigrants working for him, but that got charged against "the corporation" and he skated, despite him being nailed for helping get them fake id.

Many of the financial crimes come from fraud in applying for large loans. He would get a loan from a bank, take his collateral for that loan and put it in his accounts receivable to inflate the value of his company, get another loan, and then deposit the collateral where it was supposed to go. And then ordered all records of it deleted.

Swell guy. The judge hammered him and rightfully so.

Clemency/pardons I am so on the fence about.

I don't like how it gets people out of shit they've probably done... but then there are guys like Snowden that I feel SHOULD be granted clemency but don't get it.
Fuck that guy, he should rot in hell.

This guy is about as Jewish as you can get, right down to committing crimes related to Kosher food. A huge faction of Trumpeters aren't going to be happy about this.

Back