Trump Ends Obama’s Ban on Bear Baiting and Other Cruel Hunting Techniques in Alaska

Bumblebeef

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
"The Trump administration is moving to reverse Obama-era rules barring hunters on some public lands in Alaska from baiting brown bears with bacon and doughnuts and using spotlights to shoot mother black bears and cubs hibernating in their dens."

nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/05/trump-ends-obamas-ban-on-bear-baiting-in-alaska.html

Baiting I’m not against. That’s literally how the native Americans did it

Shooting bears while hibernating however is not sporting in the slightest and not needed since we’re not living in the Wild West with that as really our only source of food anymore

I might be a Trump supporter but I do not in anyway support this.

Baiting bear and dear are perfectly legal where I live in Michigan and a lot of places in the U.S. As long as Animals are tagged and not poached. I could care less about baiting. Usually the people that get fired up about this have no clue how conservation and hunting work, and how immensely it benefits the wildlife population.

I don't hunt, because I don't get a thrill out of killing animals, but I totally support the people that do, because if done lawfully it is necessary for our ecosystem.

Last edited:
Baiting I’m not against. That’s literally how the native Americans did it

Shooting bears while hibernating however is not sporting in the slightest and not needed since we’re not living in the Wild West with that as really our only source of food anymore

Agree 100%, nothing wrong with baiting but the spot lighting is terrible.

You know what really would benefit the ecosystem though? It involves hunting but it's considered "immoral" or "cannibalism".

"The Trump administration is moving to reverse Obama-era rules barring hunters on some public lands in Alaska from baiting brown bears with bacon and doughnuts and using spotlights to shoot mother black bears and cubs hibernating in their dens."

nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/05/trump-ends-obamas-ban-on-bear-baiting-in-alaska.html

Baiting is one thing . . . spotlighting is seen as unethical by many hunters (me included). The lone exception I would support would be night hunting wild hogs with night lights or night vision scopes.

Baiting bear and dear are perfectly legal where I live in Michigan and a lot of places in the U.S. As long as Animals are tagged and not poached. I could care less about baiting. Usually the people that get fired up about this have no clue how conservation and hunting work, and how immensely it benefits the wildlife population.

I don't hunt, because I don't get a thrill out of killing animals, but I totally support the people that do, because if done lawfully it is necessary for our echo system.
Yup. There are arguments that the explosion of lyme disease is happening due to the numbers of deer multiplying like crazy.
as someone in NewEngland, I can attest that all my friendsthat got lyme never totally recovered fully. Nasty stuff.

Baiting is one thing . . . spotlighting is seen as unethical by many hunters (me included). The lone exception I would support would be night hunting wild hogs with night lights or night vision scopes.
Yeah hogs are a whole different thing. I'd support using giant lawnmowers on them

Liberal bears BTFO!!!!! Lazy bears need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. If they don't wanna be shot then they shouldn't hibernate. #maga Trump bless barak Osama btfo!!!!

Im not fond of baiting but its a method old as time and if thats how you get it done and have a tag have at it I guess

Killing Hibernating animals just seems wrong though

I do kind of wonder if Trump does things just because Obamas name is on them

You know what really would benefit the ecosystem though? It involves hunting but it's considered "immoral" or "cannibalism".
Oh, so which person or people do you think should be killed?

Idk, to me the local laws and species specific stuff miss the big picture. Obviously we shouldn't treat animals that we hunt badly and obviously we want to avoid unnecessary cruelty, but the big elephant in the room is factory farming. We have a legal institution that tortures millions of animals every year for food and as a society we accept it.

If we really care about animal suffering, which we should, let's go after the big fish first.

It's funny how getting the Federal Government out of State's affairs becomes "Trump does (insert evil shit)".... Alaska can regulate it's own hunting without the Fed's.
We are so conditioned to the Federal overreach we act like it's supposed to be this way.. It's not.

I think baiting is a lazy and cunty way to hunt, but killing a mother bear and her cubs in their den is a different level of shitty.

With all the problems and challenges we face today in America I'm curious as to why Trump thought it necessary to do this.

Also, how is shooting a bear hibernating with her cubs hunting?

"The rationalization for this particular action is to make federal “predator control” guidelines match state laws."

Given that we are talking about hunting on federal land, the feds obviously have jurisdiction here. But I think it is nevertheless wise to try to match state laws where possible and convenient. I believe one of the things making Americans hate each other so much is that we have people from New York or Atlanta trying to tell Alaskans how to hunt bears. It's just as stupid as having Alaskans weigh in on New York taxi cab guidelines. Decentralized rule making is necessary for governing vast countries.

Last edited:
With all the problems and challenges we face today in America I'm curious as to why Trump thought it necessary to do this.

Also, how is shooting a bear hibernating with her cubs hunting?

Because evil tyrant Obama shouldn't be telling us how to murder bears! If I want to launch and RPG into a bear den during the dead of winter it's my God given constitutional right, dammit!

Back