Trump Ends Obama’s Ban on Bear Baiting and Other Cruel Hunting Techniques in Alaska

Also, the writing in New York mag is hilarious:
"Whatever else is going on, Team Trump is probably quite happy to provoke the wrath of people more concerned about preventing cruelty to animals than protecting the feral pleasures of trophy hunters. "

Because evil tyrant Obama shouldn't be telling us how to murder bears! If I want to launch and RPG into a bear den during the dead of winter it's my God given constitutional right, dammit!
You're trying too hard.

With all the problems and challenges we face today in America I'm curious as to why Trump thought it necessary to do this.

Also, how is shooting a bear hibernating with her cubs hunting?

It's probably popular with conservative voters. The editorial cites the 2014 Maine election:
"There is evidence that backlash to animal-cruelty restrictions is a good mobilization tool for rural conservative voters. In 2014 a ballot initiative in Maine to “ban the use of bait, dogs or traps in bear hunting except to protect property, public safety, or for research” was defeated by a big turnout of rural voters who also, as it happens, reelected atavistic conservative Governor Paul LePage in an upset."

I predict Trump signs an executive order making it legal to hunt inside zoos

"The rationalization for this particular action is to make federal “predator control” guidelines match state laws."

Given that we are talking about hunting on federal land, the feds obviously have jurisdiction here. But I think it is nevertheless wise to try to match state laws where possible and convenient. I believe one of the things making Americans hate each other so much is that we have people from New York or Atlanta trying to tell Alaskans how to hunt bears. It's just as stupid as having Alaskans weigh in on New York taxi cab guidelines. Decentralized rule making is necessary for governing vast countries.

I'm more concerned with the low producing states like Alaska trying to tell the wealthy states like New York, New Jersey, and California how we should spend our money on them.

I thought i saw it somewhere that it also allows people to shoot caribou swimming across lakes and streams from motorboats.

Baiting bear and dear are perfectly legal where I live in Michigan and a lot of places in the U.S. As long as Animals are tagged and not poached. I could care less about baiting. Usually the people that get fired up about this have no clue how conservation and hunting work, and how immensely it benefits the wildlife population.

I don't hunt, because I don't get a thrill out of killing animals, but I totally support the people that do, because if done lawfully it is necessary for our echo system.

Freudian slip?

I hunt though my state bans baiting (we dont need it though, this is a dog hunting state). I've always wondered what makes baiting so much more legal and ethical than spot lighting. Id like to actually hear why spotlighting is this super evil thing but baiting deer is like the epitome of conservation.

I call bullshit

These are some shameful ass hunting practices. It's embarrassing.

Since when do presidents make hunting laws? The link in OP doesn’t even work, but I would assume Trump is just allowing states to make their own laws & run things themselves

Baiting bear and dear are perfectly legal where I live in Michigan and a lot of places in the U.S. As long as Animals are tagged and not poached. I could care less about baiting. Usually the people that get fired up about this have no clue how conservation and hunting work, and how immensely it benefits the wildlife population.

I don't hunt, because I don't get a thrill out of killing animals, but I totally support the people that do, because if done lawfully it is necessary for our echo system.
Baiting in Michigan does have restrictions however. I know someone who got popped for putting out too many crabapples. DNR guy saw it from a helicopter and hassled me from a half mile off, marched me back to my camp so I could show my ID.

At this point Trump is obsessed with undoing anything Obama.

It wouldn't surprise me if he spoke in regretful tones about bin Laden being dead and claim he was framed by the deep state or some other bullshit for fools.

Unfortunately it looks like they get to dictate terms both ways.
Removing a recent ban on bear baiting is hardly dictating terms.

But yes, Alaska gets far more federal aid than other states per capita. There are a few arguments as to why this is:
a. The inherent expense of infrastructure in a massive, sparsely populated wasteland.
b. Federal aid pouring in after the natural and manmade disasters (the Anchorage earthquake, the Valdez oil spill)
c. The late, great Alaskan Senator Ted Stevens of "Bridge to Nowhere" fame. He was the master of earmarks and on the Senate Appropriations Committee.

Back