Trump links violent video games to school shootings

Funny how people get upset when its THEIR thing being taken away.
Careful with the false equivalency.

Nobody used a video game to put a bullet in any of those kids.

Guns have been around for hundreds of years.

You think the rise in school shootings in recent decades has nothing to do with the rapid evolution in culture regarding games, music, movies, violence, and general moral decline?

Grow up.
Yeah guns have been around for hunderds of years....Thats why people back in the day were killing eachother a shitload..Homicide Rates were way higher....and there were more wars.

Video Games shouldn't be singled out like Trump did.

Beyond reproach, lol

The two words are interchangeable, if you're trying to imply I phrased that incorrectly.

If you're just trying to act like you're not carrying yourself exactly how I described, then the lols are on you.

Either way.

It's an old, tired cliche of an argument.

It's been going for at least 20 years now, since Mortal Kombat came to the SEGA and SNES.

Just isn't true.

But I will say this... games like Counter-Strike have probably made kids 'better' tactical shooters. Knowing how to use corners, height advantage, which weapons to use in which scenarios... Hyper realistic Games like that have essentially become "Shoot-out simulators". I'm not saying it's going to turn some retard like Nikolas De Jesus Cruz into Chris Kyle, but it will absolutely make someone a more dangerous threat.

I'd equate it to two kids getting into a fight - with the exact same physical qualities and upbringing, neither with any training, but one has watched a ton of MMA on TV. He's going to know what a choke hold is, what top position is, what guard is, etc. It's simply an advantage.
I don't know about the equivalence of CS and functional shooting. It's like the myth that solders played Doom in the 90's to get better.

It *does* help with hand eye coordination, and yes, new age shooters are pretty much simulators at this point. But there is a big difference between using a controller/mouse and keyboard, and throwing that AR-15 around like it's nothing. You'll never know that feeling until you do it.

Careful with the false equivalency.

Nobody used a video game to put a bullet in any of those kids.
Now thats a false equivalency.

A more and more violent culture happens to coincide with mass shootings. The culture is the problem, not the tool.

BRB, gonna go jump on some turtles and crawl through sewer pipes.

oQJwZv9.gif

Lol best of luck.

I don't know about the equivalence of CS and functional shooting. It's like the myth that solders played Doom in the 90's to get better.

It *does* help with hand eye coordination, and yes, new age shooters are pretty much simulators at this point. But there is a big difference between using a controller/mouse and keyboard, and throwing that AR-15 around like it's nothing. You'll never know that feeling until you do it.

You're absolutely right - but like I said with the MMA analogy, you gain a certain knowledge base.

I still remember being a little boy, playing the original Counter-Strike, and a friend explaining how different guns can shoot through different walls, and that "Ahhhh..." moment.. and how that drywall in your house is basically paper machete to even the weakest guns.

And modern day it's even worse with how these games have become so perfectly realistic, with things like bullet-drop and weapons having different velocity.

A more and more violent culture happens to coincide with mass shootings. The culture is the problem, not the tool.
You're blaming video games (a tool) on people using guns (another tool) to kill people.

Sometimes tools play a part in defining a culture.

Guns have been around for hundreds of years.

You think the rise in school shootings in recent decades has nothing to do with the rapid evolution in culture regarding games, music, movies, violence, and general moral decline?

Grow up.
Homicide rates were much worse in the 70's and 80's. Places like New York were NOT a safe place to go through back then. It's actually gotten much better.

What's your reasoning for that?

You're absolutely right - but like I said with the MMA analogy, you gain a certain knowledge base.

I still remember being a little boy, playing the original Counter-Strike, and a friend explaining how different guns can shoot through different walls, and that "Ahhhh..." moment.. and how that drywall in your house is basically paper machete to even the weakest guns.

And modern day it's even worse with how these games have become so perfectly realistic, with things like bullet-drop and weapons having different velocity.
Yeah, I mean it's a nice educational lesson sometimes. I've actually learned some things from vidja games before it became practical in real life. But I always feel like a psychopath will always be a psychopath. No amount of video games, or movies, or weed, etc. will change that. They were GOING to do that, regardless of the inbetween. They may have gotten their kicks off of shooting people in video games beforehand, but the game obviously didn't fulfill their fantasy.

Can't blame art for the idiocy of it's fans. If that were the case, then the Beatles should be tried for murder.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/22/donal...eo-games-films-stop-school-shootings-7335268/

<{titihmm}> He didn't really explain how the rest of the global population play the same video games, but somehow avoid having a school shooting epidemic.

What do you think the rating system he's referring to should look like? I might be wrong, but don't video games and movies get rated based on the amount of violence and sexual content in them?

Do you think violent movies and video games are a factor in school shootings in the USA?

Typical Trump, #1 tactic is to deflect blame to anyone else possible

Video games aren't a tool. How is a game a tool? Its entertainment.
The minute people were able to make money off of it, it became a tool. Guitars are tools too, btw.

Regardless, the actual definition of a tool is a device used to carry out a specific function. Literally everything is a tool from an evolutionary standpoint.

Why do you think video games cause more violence?

Activision and EA need to start making some big political contributions. That'll curb this excuse.

Before donations:

"It's those darn video games!"

After donations:

"Welllllll, we gotta look at the whole picture here. If you look at the statistics..."

It's the old go to for old politicians, and Trump is just as wrong as anyone else, be it Dem or Rep on this issue.

Sure that's true, opinions don't really count here. Data does and as far as I know there isn't a strong body of evidence suggesting a connection.
Funny how people get upset when its THEIR thing being taken away.
Or maybe people get upset when we hear silly suggestions to stopping mass shootings like regulating video games.

Back